U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:14 AM

110 posts, read 433,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
needs are---affortable housing, sun, not too cold or hot----not alot of snow,recreation near by, good air, nice people, not too small and not too big---somewhat conservative and clean with low crime----is their such an animal or am I dreaming Thanks all for input
What do you mean when you ask "not too small and not too big"? Size is relative and means so many different things to different people.

If you are talking 15,000 or so I would highly recommend Montrose...if you are thinking more in the 100,000 range I would look at Fort Collins, and if you wanted somewhere in between those two I might look at Grand Junction.
Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM

569 posts, read 1,232,892 times
I live in the Seattle area with 3 m so that is too big and I really want to stay away from under 100,000 as access to good health care, etc. is important for us older folks. Thanks all

Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Look at Monument. Most of the subdivisions are half acre or more. There is quick access to COS. We have a Home Depot and Super Wal-Mart. We usually have more snow than COS, but are cooler in the summer.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 AM

110 posts, read 433,554 times
Personally I would still consider Ft. Collins. I like it much better than Co. Sprgs. because it is smaller yet offers more IMO. CSU plus a great downtown area.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Look at Monument. Most of the subdivisions are half acre or more. There is quick access to COS. We have a Home Depot and Super Wal-Mart. We usually have more snow than COS, but are cooler in the summer.
Another option would be Black Forest -- most of those homes are large-lot as well. The Northgate area also would have a fair number of larger-lot homes, particularly around Baptist Road and Fox Run Regional Park.

All these areas are going to be cooler year round and heavily forested -- which many people would consider an advantage -- but it does mean more snow.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:11 PM

569 posts, read 1,232,892 times
Thanks for the help---any other thoughts out there??? If anyone is interested in Washington or Oregon, I could be of help.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 PM

942 posts, read 1,003,724 times
Ft Collins has been listed in several retirement magazines, as a place to retire to in Colorado.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
If you're going to retire in Colorado these days, it takes $$$. If you have a substantial pension or you can pay cash for your new residence, it's a lot easier. If you plan to try to make income once you retire in Colorado that depends on the local economy, especially in the more desirable rural areas, it's tough. Real estate may seem cheaper in Colorado than by West Coast standards, but wages can be extremely low--again, especiallly in the rural areas (unless you want to work in the gas fields, not exactly a retiree's cup of tea, I would think).

As for milder climates in Colorado, the warmest and most snow-free in the winter are Pueblo/Canon City on the Eastern Slope and the west-central valleys (Grand Junction, Palisade, Delta area, and Montrose) on the Western Slope. They also tend to be hotter (100 degrees plus not uncommon in the summer). Real estate tends to be more affordable in Pueblo and Canon City than the other areas mentioned, but none are "bargains" compared to many other areas in the mid-section of the country. The other "warmer" areas on some on the eastern plains, epecially the lower Arkansas valley (La Junta, Las Animas, Lamar), but they are away from the mountains and can actually get a little humid in the summer. Virtually none of the mountain resort areas are affordable to the typical middle-class retiree.

None of the towns I've listed are exactly brimming with high culture and tons of big-city amenities. For those, you pretty much have to look to the Denver metro area.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:58 AM

291 posts, read 1,883,952 times
Of all the opinions, I support those of jazzlover the most. I have made a lifelong study of geographic attributes, and 'the perfect place to retire' seems to be the benchmark of ideal living.

Narrowing your search to Colorado tells me you're looking either to get away from the coastal mentality, or near the mountains. Mountains mean snow & more extemes than you enjoy now. Some of the better retirement communities here are now just outside of the target cities like GJT & FTC. Smaller towns like Florence, Cedaredge, Salida, Parachute, Cortez seem to be attracting more retirees.

Also consider other towns just outside of Colorado, like St. George, UT, Santa Fe, NM, Farmington, NM. My family are avid skiers, but I tire of too much cold, so I'm now leaning more toward the warmth of small places like Las Vegas, NM, Cottonwood, AZ, where it is warmer, but high enough in altitude to be dry.

It is a fun search. Pick a couple towns and spend a week in the area.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,790 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Ft Collins and Loveland are in a 'rainshadow' (banana belt) and have a lot of medical facilities, and ez access to Denver / Greeley if needed. There are lots of places on the market, and probably more to follow. I'd stick to the older parts of the towns, as they will keep a slower pace, the traffic and congestion of the new 'town centers' (urban mania in the middle of what used to be fields) is too much like a 'population center'. There are some very attractive props in older sections, and likely better 'community' feel.

I'm currently visiting No CO from WA in search of some commercial prop bargains, 3 days i've been here have been sunny, that is tough on the eyes! Tomorrow promises rain / snow when I'll be in Estes looking for bargain residential (very evasive still) but sun and 64F by afternoon... Flying back to the rain on Weds to a 10 day forecast of rain (and probably pretty consistant till July 5th)

But for my retirement, I would consider Sheridan WY. (rain (snow) shadow also) but colder than CO, and not the proximity to metro. I'm not into traffic, and like the Big Horns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or