Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:39 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,001 times

Advertisements

needs are---affortable housing, sun, not too cold or hot----not alot of snow,recreation near by, good air, nice people, not too small and not too big---somewhat conservative and clean with low crime----is their such an animal or am I dreaming Thanks all for input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I think you're dreaming.

Lots of sunshine in the state.

The mountains all have snow.

Recreation areas are expensive to buy and live in, unless you have a substantial retirement income which makes it doable.

The plains have snow. Recreation will be limited. Affordable housing is available in small towns with low crime, but not much to do unless you're farming or ranching in your retirement.

Cold/hot is relative, but the high altitude makes for cold nights and hot days. It's not uncommon for a 40 degree temperature swing from daytime hight to nighttime low across much of the state.

Your list sounds like it's tailored to a more temperate climate area in the sunbelt states that have small towns catering to the retired community.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Dream is doable if you're flexible... hard to find all the attributes in one place, but a lot is here in CO, that's why we retired here.

LOTS of snow THIS year, last year hardly any. I'm talking Front Range. In the high country (ski country, Aspen, Vail, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Telluride, Silverton, etc) it's ALL about snow, so avoid there, it's snowy, cold, expensive.

I think several Front Range towns would suit you....Canon City, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins....

Suggest you go to the Colorado Springs (COS) city forum and look for "Why Choose Colorado Springs."

As far as your list goes:
- affortable housing: We found homes in COS to be half the price of back in the DC metro area, most of the east coast, most of the west coast and most of FL
- sun: Yes lots of sun, 300+ days per year
- not too cold or hot: Yes, esp COS
- not alot of snow: See my remarks above
- recreation nearby: Yes, tons of things to do all over the state
- good air: COS has among the cleanest air in the nation
- nice people: Yes, folks here are friendly, hardly ever hear a horn honk at anyone
- not too small/too big: COS fits perfect. Denver is very large, costs more; Canon City too small for me.
- somewhat conservative: Yes, rather so.
- clean: Yes.
- low crime: Yes, especially on the north side.

Most of these issues were addressed in pretty good detail in that rather long thread on Why Choose COS. Details on most towns are already here in the forums and can be found by using the Search this Forum tool.

s/Mike from back east....and I ain't going back

Old 01-13-2007, 07:28 PM

I live in the Seattle area and it is getting close to prices in California so that is why I was thinking of Colorado as I lived there once before but along time ago. We are flexable but just thought I would put out all my wishes. I quess my one question is how many months of snow in COS and thanks for the info all.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:49 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Snow season can begin in Sep and go to April.

However, usually anything in Sep/Oct/Nov melts out asap....

Long-term residents will tell you that March-April are historically the big snow months here. The Fall of 2005 into the Winter of 2006 was one of very low snow. The Fall of 2006 had one big snow just before Halloween, but it melted quickly. The Winter of 2006-7 is just getting started and we've had 3 big storms so far, and everyone says this is unusual....and it is an El Nino winter according to the NOAA...odd things are going to happen those years.

Because of the amount of sun we get, most snow melts quickly, especially on the roads.

Millions live along the Front Range, it's quite livable even with the snow we get at times. If it was really onerous, a lot of the current residents would've never come here to live.

s/Mike

Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Colorado's been in a drought cycle for the last several years, so the snowfall has been pretty light overall.

I suggest you google the NWS snowfall history of the COS area to get a better idea of what a "normal" snowfall cycle year is like.

I've been in Colorado through both cycles, and when it's "normal", there's a lot of total snowfall.

In some years, it will seem like the snow never goes away for long anytime during the whole 5-6 months.

With the recent front range population boom, the roads are not able to handle the traffic today in bad weather as they did 20-30-40 years ago.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
needs are---affortable housing, sun, not too cold or hot----not alot of snow,recreation near by, good air, nice people, not too small and not too big---somewhat conservative and clean with low crime----is their such an animal or am I dreaming Thanks all for input
I live in Denver, but since you're looking at a retirement destination rather than a place where you need to get a job, you might consider Western Colorado. Grand Junction area looks like it might fit what you're looking for. To be honest I've never lived in that area, but having visited there it might fit your bill. GJ is a small town with lots of recreation.

Climate-wise, GJ has a desert climate and is relatively low in elevation, so doesn't get a lot of snow (but does get some), and has a pretty moderate four-season climate without some of the wild temperature swings that we enjoy in the rest of the state. The only downer is that you're unlikely to get the really warm 70 degree winter days that we sometimes get on the front range either.

Hope that helps -- you may want to get more info from a western colorado native before taking my word for it, though.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 PM

Smile exspensive means what

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I really am considering moving to COS to retire. I live in Seattle area and am leaving in the next few years as I need sun. The average house here in King county is $400,000---the traffic is awful and at rush hour it looks like christmas on the freeways. Food is so exspensive that it is cheaper to eat out. Also, taxes are outragious---they tax everything but say hey, we have no income tax. Oh, we do have the highest sales tax and we license and tax everthing but it is for your own good. After all, we need 3 million to decorate the trees in downtown Seattle. A very liberal area and it is all about money with little or no thought to the environment or people. Just shove everyone in and let them fend for themselves on over crowded roads that can not handle the traffic as it is. Well, their are also good things here and employment is one along with cultural diversity. Also, lots of recreation and other things to do. Not too mention the beauty of the area. So, do you think I would like COS????

Old 01-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I really am considering moving to COS to retire.... So, do you think I would like COS????
Probably would be a good choice. It is pretty conservative with USAF and US Army bases, but quite diverse in activities and close to some great scenery. You might need to be more specific on your recreation and employment desires (part-time?) If you are free from job needs, consider western CO for less congestion. WY is cheaper for retirees (taxes) but finding a habitable spot is not so ez. (energy boom, CA migration, in the few prime spots). KS is friendlier, tho less scenic but free land ! . But you will be a long ways from a good beach

for me...
26yrs Northern Colo
26yrs PNW (westside)

I got retired at 49, (6 weeks before retirement...) but currently back in school will graduate and move May 2007
future destination??? someplace I can afford, (low fixed costs, taxes,,,) is friendly (community support), Mountain state, no traffic lights in the whole county , and I can bike and swim laps (no pools for miles here, none in High Schools, That was a suprise coming from Colo where we had 3 indoor pools in a town of 30,000) Bikes not real well respected in PNW, (unlike Boulder) + few snow shoulders for extra clearance.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:31 AM

Question where in COS????

Where in COS would be a good place to live----I would like to have at least a half an acre but not more than one. I will be retired so schools etc. do not matter much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado