U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,125,069 times

Advertisements

I have two cats. Cats should be inside--period. First, in any but the most urban areas of Colorado, you run the risk of predators--foxes, coyotes, hawks, eagles--just to name a few. Then there is the problem of your sweet little domesticated cats getting in fights with feral cats--risk of disease and injury is huge. Of course, then there are cars and traffic--big outside cat killers. If you care about your pet and want him or her to have a long unbattered life, keep him or her inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I have two cats. Cats should be inside--period. First, in any but the most urban areas of Colorado, you run the risk of predators--foxes, coyotes, hawks, eagles--just to name a few. Then there is the problem of your sweet little domesticated cats getting in fights with feral cats--risk of disease and injury is huge. Of course, then there are cars and traffic--big outside cat killers. If you care about your pet and want him or her to have a long unbattered life, keep him or her inside.
We have always let our cats go out. DH trained them to climb up the garage roof and come in our bedroom window at night. He thought it was cute. I thought he was nuts. One night, one cat did not come back. We went to the Humane Society, etc, but we never found her. We have coyote around here, so we assume she was taken. Then we got another cat. Let her out a lot, too. She got a horrible abscess that had to be drained. It actually got quite large before we noticed it; she was mostly hiding under the bed and acting strange, but we thought it was b/c our other cat had just died of cancer. So now (to finally get to my point), no cats out at night! We live in a fairly mellow neighborhood. My DD lives down near DU, NEVER lets her cat out.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,104,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising28 View Post
I'm moving to Longmont, Colorado from the East Coast with 2 indoor/outdoor cats. I've heard that cats are refered to as "mountain lion food" in Colorado. Is this true? I would like to be able to let my cats continue to roam outside, but not if they aren't safe. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? What have you done?
No, they're coyote food. They've eaten every cat in my Dad's neighborhood, except for his oddly. She must be one tough cat.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM

88 posts, read 265,466 times
Here's a site I just came across:

Bengal Cat Breeder |* Indoor Cat or Outdoor Cat | NiteWindes Cattery |

This really makes you think about letting your cats outdoors ever again.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,535,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
our other cat had just died of cancer.
Ours too. He liked to lick the plastic sacks from the supermarket. I think that may have done it.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 PM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Ours had an eye tumor. She lost her eye, but finally the cancer won. It was sad.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 PM

52 posts, read 183,243 times
I am from COS, I have one bi-color, long haired cat named Echo I've had since I was 5 years old (I'm 18 btw)

I go up to Longmont to see friends a lot, it's pretty far from the mountains, do don't have anything to worry about.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,216,716 times
I say, let your cats outside. If people don't like feral animals let them move back to an urban cement area. Is that middle of the road enough for you? The risk is small that someone will shoot them or poison them, because in Longmont the cats will be smart enough to avoid the fox and coyote, and a mountain lion would be rare. More chance they will get run over by one of your neighbors. I can't believe the protectionist attitudes posted here; I wish all people would drive as carefully, or give as much concern for their neighbors, as they supposedly give pet animals. Personally I think cats in the house all the time are unsanitary and stink, no matter how litter trained. I have had dogs, cats, rabbits, pigs, sheep, and cows. They are animals, not people.

Advocate for animal rights to be free--and die naturally just like everyone else.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,535,302 times
I know everyone has varying opinions on cats. I work with a guy that brags about killing any that come into his yard and thinks that cat lovers are sick. Our much-loved cat is part of the family to us but I don't expect everyone else to feel that way. It's undeniable that they tend to live longer if you keep them inside. FWIW

Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,747,778 times
Default Pardon the laundry

Dat's my boy. Yes, he's a fatty but his last blood test results were okay for being a 13 year old rescue. I brought him home from PetSmart's adoption (along with his brother who had to be put down) at a ripe old age of 8 years. The women gave mea huge discount and then refunded the $ after his brother got so sick...anyhow, I let him in the back yard but only supervised when it's nice out.

I see tracks every morning from the fox that lives in our area after it snows. The same fox also sets up shop in my neighbor's yard a lot. How he is able to scale the 7 foot fence is beyond me but yeah, keep the kitties indoors.

I haven't seen a coyote in the 'hood lately but they are pretty stealth when it comes to human contact. I saw a pair back in December of about 2004 in the middle of the night on a run to Wal*Mart. You may not see them but they are around and kitties make for a good snack when times are tough on them in the winter.

Love your cats and keep them inside. If you want, let them outside but supervise them. My boy doesn't have front claws (not my choice, he was like that when I rescued them) so he's only outside under my supervision.

Last edited by COflower; 03-06-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Picture didn't show up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or