U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 AM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times

Advertisements

Ann Riley, thanks for your kind note. Based on what I've seen of pet owners during a few all too brief trips to Europe, I'd say that pet owners in Europe are far more enlightened, sophisticated and well mannered about pet issues (and most other things) then are most of my fellow Americans - many of whom need a good deal of domestication themselves.

To digress and editorialize a bit, in an effort to understand the differences between our two parts of the world, my view of most Europeans is that they understand they are part of a larger society and act accordingly as a member of that society, and for the overall good of the society - though some critics call their behavior "conformist." By contrast, here in the USA, IMO, far too many of my fellow Americans behave like spoiled entitled brats who willfully refuse to understand their need to be a part of the larger societal whole and act without any thought or care as to how their actions impact on the whole of society or humanity. This mass of social dwarfs think their behavior makes them some sort of "rugged individualist" found in our largely fictional American folklore, when in fact they are merely the most profound of obnoxious boors.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-09-2008 at 12:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 AM

346 posts, read 1,418,671 times
Going off-topic slightly here, as I don't want to get involved in the indoor/outdoor debate. But we have two cats, and will be moving to Colorado this summer (assuming that our house can sell). What is the best way to travel with cats? I read an article that recommended having a carrier-type cage that is large enough for both food/water and litter box. I plan to ask our vet as well, but was wondering what others have done. It's going to be 2 days of hell for them, and I'm sure we'll be hearing constant meowing--even once they've stopped, it'll probably linger on in our heads! Oh, what fun!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 AM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Going off-topic slightly here, as I don't want to get involved in the indoor/outdoor debate. But we have two cats, and will be moving to Colorado this summer (assuming that our house can sell). What is the best way to travel with cats? I read an article that recommended having a carrier-type cage that is large enough for both food/water and litter box. I plan to ask our vet as well, but was wondering what others have done. It's going to be 2 days of hell for them, and I'm sure we'll be hearing constant meowing--even once they've stopped, it'll probably linger on in our heads! Oh, what fun!
I used the advanced search tool with keywords: cat car Got these results: HELP - moving to Denver with two cats!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM

85,027 posts, read 98,908,697 times
I would take the vet's advice. We brought one to/from Albany, NY from CO. She just rode in the car, but she was a good rider. The one we have now screams when we take her to the vet, 1 1/2 miles away.

BTW, she is up a tree right now. Some of our cats really love to climb trees. We have found as they get older, they stay pretty much in the yard.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:07 PM

346 posts, read 1,418,671 times
Thanks, Mike. I had forgotten about that thread.

Katiana--Our older one weighs nearly 17 lbs. I'm trying to help him slim down--not an easy task. He used to climb trees constantly, but has become a couch potato. Need to get him moving more. The other is younger, only 7lbs. and has tons of energy. Sometimes I wish I could put them on a leash and take them for a walk. Ha! The neighbors would think I'd lost it.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 PM

88 posts, read 265,432 times
When I moved to Colorado from Oregon with both my cats, I bought a rather large dog crate and put blankets in it. Friends said that their cats didn't use the litter box or eat and drink much while the car was moving, so when we stopped, I offered the litter box as well as food and water. They did great and now I use the crate inside for my one of my dogs.

Best wishes for a smooth move!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 PM

357 posts, read 1,124,901 times
not all cats do well under stress, lol. my hubby traveled with three cats fromm socal to co and it worked pretty well. first, we had separate crates for each, and they were not teeny ones. some cats don't like being trapped together, even if they live together and get along just fine. they get aggressive under stress, esp if one wants to cuddle, lol. so we separated each and kept the peace. cats won't drink or pee while driving, at least most won't, so we stopped a couple of times during the trip to let them out of the cages in the car to use the pan and to drink water. often they didn't but they liked the break. At night, we got pet friendly hotel rooms and let them roam around the place and enjoy, usually they were up all night and slept in the car.

one thing that worked well for our cats who are orientals and very, very very high strung, is the product that sprayed cat pheromones in the air. reduced the stress significantly in the car and in the hotel rooms. one of our cats has ocular herpes that erupts under stress and we kept it at bay, even with this move, a stay in several hotel rooms, a week stay in a hotel in colorado and then a new home. the product is called Feliway and you can buy it in a small spray and a room plug in. we used both. we use the spray on vet trips too.

on the outdoor vs indoor: would that most folks kept their animals by their side when the went out. even with that, i'm sure my 6 lb cats would end up taken away by hawks sadly. in any event, the areas in which we live now aren't the safe suburban areas in which I grew up. As a kid, all our cats roamed the neighborhood and it was fine. But that was in an area where we'd killed off all predators by destroying the natural habitat and completely placing suburbia on top. we haven't done that here in the CO or the hills of Los angeles (yet) and I hope we never do.

you can train cats to walk on leashes, but mine never took to them. you just have to start as young kittens and be consistent. There are also cat strollers out there, if you really are interested, lol.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 PM

85,027 posts, read 98,908,697 times
My DD lives in Denver proper, near University Blvd. She has a leash for her cat, but really didn't train the cat to it. My DH bought the cat a climbing post one year for Christmas. The cat loves it! It may be the closest we get to a grandchild for a long time, LOL.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,103,247 times
"Cats on a leash" Rotflmao!! stupidest thing ever. Everytime I see that, i can't help but think, that poor cat.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,504,324 times
We tried it with our cat - just so we could take her in the back yard and not have her run off, but still enjoy the grass.....
Well....it was really funny. The first time it seemed to work okay because she didn't really know what was going on. The second time - she just rolled over and wouldn't budge. We were laughing so hard. You would think with as much time as she spends in the window looking out she would have been thrilled, but in all honesty, she's much happier "pretending" she wants out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or