U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 15,994 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Longmont, Colorado from the East Coast with 2 indoor/outdoor cats. I've heard that cats are refered to as "mountain lion food" in Colorado. Is this true? I would like to be able to let my cats continue to roam outside, but not if they aren't safe. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? What have you done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 04:36 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
Depends a lot on where you're headed to in Longmont.

In town, your neighbors will generally not appreciate your cats in their yards chasing birds, their pets, or using their property for a litter box (especially children's play areas).

If you've got some acreage, then outdoor cats become potential owl, hawk, skunk, racoon, mountain lion, or coyote food.

Best for your cats' health and longevity to keep them indoors if they're house pets.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 AM

155 posts, read 211,177 times
From a cat owner for almost 20 years now the son of a vet...

Cats should be indoors only. They love longer, healthier lives like that.

Also, by being indoors only they don't risk wild animals (specially if you live in the edge/outside city limits) or risk being run over by a car or get lost or get fleas.

Keep them indoors.... you will be glad you did. My cat was outdoors (we found him after hurricane Charlie) and he wanted to hang outside and we didn't let him and eventually, he became indoors only.

Good luck!
ML

Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 AM

13,630 posts, read 21,483,824 times
I have one question and it is the most important one of all; are your two cats fixed? Of course they are, right?

My puppy would like to play with your kitty.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
We're in north end of Colorado Springs, sub-div living, backs up to much open space. Foxes and coyotes are here.

See video I took 2 days ago of two foxes in our backyard. I wish I'd had my camera in-hand while they were mating in my yard... but all I got was this shot before they headed off down the street....broad daylight too, 1030AM.

See video at: http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/Pix999/Foxes/

I honestly don't see many cats here, most folks are into dogs.

s/Mike from back east

Old 01-15-2007, 03:37 PM

111 posts, read 553,975 times
I'm sorry to offend you or any other cat owners here...

I'll preface by stating that I'm not a cat hater, but I don't really like them either...

It is simply rude to your neighbors to allow your cat to roam. Dogs aren't allowed to roam around (nor should they due to possible confrontations with kids other dogs, etc) and are expected to be on a leash or at least, if well trained, with their owner while outside.

Sure, cats aren't known to get into it with kids nearly as much, but I don't want my kids going to play with a free-roaming cat. They many times have sharps claws and who knows what they've gotten into. Granted I'm a dog owner, but I caution my young kids to avoid stray dogs too. You just don't know.

Also, I dont want cats in my backyard finding a comfy spot to lay in the sun on my fench annoying my dog(its happened) and I don't want them sitting on my porch swing (happened) and going thru my trash on trash day (happened).

It seems that when dogs get loose, the owners try to find them, apologize and are thankful if you find their dog and understand that its not really acceptable for their pet to be out and about. Cat owners seem to think that everyone is happy to see their cat. Sorry, Im not!!

Yes, you're cat is prey if you allow them to be 'wild'. And if a mountain lion, skunk, etc, catches your cat, I garantee that animal will be back on your street looking for more easy food. Only next time it might be your neighbors kid.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:24 PM

106 posts, read 391,249 times
Ok... well... Now that we've heard from the left and right side... How about the middle?

I live just outside of Longmont in Firestone, we have a cat. Cat is both in door and out door. Lived here about 2 1/2 yrs, and never had a problem. I have lost cats to all kinds of things in the past, and that is just part of life and the life of owning a cat.

Inside/Outside... what ever. That is your personal choice, however I don't think you'll have any additional dangers to your cats here than you would any place else.

And yes, I have both a cat and 2 dogs (Chesapeake retrievers if you care). All are indoor/outdoor, all are perfectly fine. Just remember, cat's are animals, just like mice, birds, foxes, and cows. If they are your pet too, then you have to be responsible for them. Doesn't matter if they are a cat, a dog or a fish.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:31 PM

13,630 posts, read 21,483,824 times
We have two cats. A Maine Coon that was adopted without claws and a domestic short-hair with claws. Guess who's boss? They are both indoor cats because of the prairie dog population in the area if for no other reason.

They wouldn't last two days roaming the area where we live. They hate leashes so they stay inside unless we let them roam out in the front lawn.

We'd have dogs but can't afford to fence in our 1.2 acre lot just yet.

If you let them go outside they should be fixed. If you let them go outside and roam the neighborhood the neighbors may not like it, as you see from a previous post.

That's my thoughts on the subject.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
I've had cats and dogs my entire adult life. Had cats as a kid and then after my mother died my dad and step-mom always had dogs. I got the best of it all I guess.

Anyhow, as a cat owner, my cats have always been indoor cats as an adult. I live in much closer proximity to my neighbors than I did as a kid with my mom. We lived on top of a bluff where there was a lot of roaming for them. Also, we had areas that the cats could easily get into that a coyote or fox could not.

Now, I have known more people lose cats to coyote and fox than mountain lion.

I get the neighborhood cats in my yard and except for the part in the front where they started use it as a giant litter box and the part of the pretty tree where they used it as a scratching post. I am not fine with that really. Also, my dog gets really worked up when there's a cat in my back yard. He's okay with his pack-cat but not digging the cats that are in the back yard. He wants to chase them down and have "cat treats".

I think people would be better off to keep their cats as indoor cats for a mulitude of reasons. #1 their own safety and general health. #2 being that while I love cats and have my own, I don't like the neighbor's cats in my yard, pooping, peeing, scratching my trees and generally making my dog go nuts. I think it's irresponsible.

BTW, I have seen both coyote and foxes in my neighborhood. One fox used to cruise along the sidewalk like he/she was just taking a nice stroll through the hood. Most wild animals I see don't follow the sidwalk quite as well as that fox did.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,462,959 times
Default Agreed

I rarely see outdoor cats in Longmont. I live near one of the major highways here and it would be incredibly dangerous to let my cat outside as he's very curious and likes to jump. I live on the 3rd floor so he sometimes goes out on the balcony in the Summer but only with a harness and leash on. I also noticed recently that the person who owned a cat that did roam the area has posted a LOST poster. Unless you plan on having a large garden with a high fence I wouldn't let them outside unless closely supervised and even then, probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or