Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,162 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 yr old recent accounting grad planning to move from Houston to Colorado b/c I want mountains and cooler weather! I'm looking for sort of a young town with good culture and music, and where there are jobs available. It seems that Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins are the most popular, but which one's the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM

792 posts, read 3,125,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinghigh View Post
I'm 25 yr old recent accounting grad planning to move from Houston to Colorado b/c I want mountains and cooler weather! I'm looking for sort of a young town with good culture and music, and where there are jobs available. It seems that Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins are the most popular, but which one's the best?
It all depends on the person. My opinion would be (on the four cities you provided):

1. Denver (closer to RedRocks, more jobs IMO)
2. Boulder (home of CU)
3. CS/FC (you may get bored at either one)

Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM

447 posts, read 1,600,964 times
Denver is obviously the biggest....more to do, easier access to I-70 into the mountains.....more jobs

Boulder is the most INTERESTING of all the choices, but can be referred to as the Republic of Boulder.....Boulder definitely has its own mentality and feel, and is very liberal minded (and I don't mean that in a bad way)........it is definitely the MOST young and hip, but also the MOST expensive of the choices.......the town is very geared toward walkers and bikers

Don't know much about Ft Collins or COS

I do know that COS has a tendency to be conservative but as most of Colorado I don't see it as being ultra conservative......just probably the most conservative of the 4

Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,754,490 times
Your best bet would be right on the CO border in Goodland, KS. Its a wonderful town and the weather can't be beat.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Your best bet would be right on the CO border in Goodland, KS. Its a wonderful town and the weather can't be beat.
Are you joking?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
If by cooler you mean low 90s and high 80s during the day and cooling to the low to mid 50s for the mornings in the summer, that would be Colorado Springs. Ft Collins and Denver are a bit warmer with highs in the mid to upper 90s, maybe over 100° here and there and cooling to the upper 50s and low 60s for the mornings- during the Summer. Boulder weather is a bit more pleasant than Denver all around. A bit cooler in the summer and a bit warmer in the winter. It's just more like SoCal for some reason. Oh, and like Colorado Springs, it's closer to and kind of up against the "Mountains".

You say you "want mountains." Does that mean you want mountains in your yard, you want mountains in your view, or you want mountains that you can drive to when you get out of work? If you want to play in the mountains AND have a J.O.B. to drive to, well...stand in line. I just don't know the answer to that one.

Sort of a young town with good culture and music; I can think of some old towns with OK culture and music, but I ...hmmm. That's a toughy.

...And where there are jobs available. That brings us back to Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins. You know, I'm gonna put a long-shot dog into this fight and say..."One of these days, Trinidad is gonna boom like it never has and Las Animas County is gonna go crazy!" Guys like Mr. Still are the type with the gizzards to make this happen. When this happens, the Front Range and the Western Slope can take a hike! Boom, Baby!

Oh, back to the topic; What kind of companies will your degree take you to? Can you work for an energy firm? If so, Grand Junction and areas in the Western Slope seem to be booming now, much to the dismay of Colorado politicians.

Watch out Western Slope, Trinidad is a comin'!

...But which one is best? Get rich first. Once that happens, move to Boulder.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM

My PERSONAL best city..........Dillon/Silverthorne as I will be a resident there as of August........but that's not really on your list...LOL

Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,162 times
Thanks for everyone's input. So far, Boulder seems to appeal to me the most. However, it also sounds like it is the most expensive and right now, I'm not rich. It kind of seems like Denver is the safest bet for a job so I'll probably try there. I'll keep an eye out for Dillon, as well as the western slope boom.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 13,582 times
You are on the right track I would cross fort collins of the list. Boulder is definitaly the most expensive. Denver is the best bet for a good job. Although if you can find a good job in Springs I would take that. Cost of living is cheaper in springs then Denver although they pay more in Denver. If you can find a job on the south end of Denver I would live in Springs & commute. Both are great places to live If your not rich like you stated above I would go for Springs or Denver

Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 PM

835 posts, read 2,846,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
you can probably see denver and springs from there thats the epitomy of plains in west kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado