U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 64,433 times

Advertisements

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Is there an area in Denver that is very much like Cherry Creek -- (East coast charm, some older trees, homes with loads of character, excellent schools, child safety, sidewalks, great restaurants and shopping) but that doesn't come with such a high price tag? I'm shopping in the 275,000 - 335,000 range.

I'm looking at Golden, Arvada and Evergreen and the rustic cabins and low ceiling wall-to-wall carpeted newer homes aren't looking too hot to me. I love it that nature is Right There in some of these places, but I want to know my options in the middle of the city.

2. Capitol Hill has come up as an option and I looked at homes on realtor.com that seemed cute, but I read it's a sketchy place to live. Any comments?

As a single mom to an elementary school child, safety is very important. Excellent schools are, too.

Last edited by mtnsky; 01-15-2007 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: i edited my own post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 AM

10,676 posts, read 28,491,129 times
When will you be here for an evaluation visit? It would be good for you to spend 10-20 minutes in each community...to see how it *feels*

From your posts, I'd guess you'd like Littleton, Arvada or Lakewood.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsky View Post
TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Is there an area in Denver that is very much like Cherry Creek -- (East coast charm, some older trees, homes with loads of character, excellent schools, child safety, sidewalks, great restaurants and shopping) but that doesn't come with such a high price tag? I'm shopping in the 275,000 - 335,000 range.

I'm looking at Golden, Arvada and Evergreen and the rustic cabins and low ceiling wall-to-wall carpeted newer homes aren't looking too hot to me. I love it that nature is Right There in some of these places, but I want to know my options in the middle of the city.

2. Capitol Hill has come up as an option and I looked at homes on realtor.com that seemed cute, but I read it's a sketchy place to live. Any comments?

As a single mom to an elementary school child, safety is very important. Excellent schools are, too.
There are dozens of great neighborhoods in Denver that would fit what you're looking for. Virtually all would be cheaper than Cherry Creek, which is the most expensive area in town. You can check out the Highlands and Berkeley up north/northwest, Washington Park, Congress Park, Platte Park, Baker, DU/University area, and so on. You can also check out the Hilltop, Country Club, and Country Club north neighborhoods, but those will have prices approaching Cherry Creek.

Most of Denver's city-center neighborhoods are getting better, but given your situation I would stay away from some of the ones that are more in transition now. As an example, Curtis Park / 5 Points neighborhood is a great part of Denver heritage, but it's probably not right yet for a single Mom with kids -- maybe in a few years.

Capitol Hill is night and day from what it used to be, but it's still a bit sketchy. particularly near Colfax. I'm not sure I'd recommend it in your situation, although the eastern and southeastern portions near Cheesman Park and southeast of the governor's mansion are maybe okay. Condos in Capitol Hill / Governor's Park are a relatively cheap, so that's a draw to that area.

Since schools are important to you, you should probably look at a site like csapscores.org and find ones that are highly rated. You can get your kids into any DPS school during open enrollment IF THERE IS ROOM, but in the better ones like Bromwell that would be difficult unless you actually live in the designated area. There are some reasonably good school options in DPS, charters, magnets, etc, however, so if you do your homework I think you can find one that you will be happy with. I do know some parents who send their kids out of district to some of the suburban school districts, which is also doable. For example, one of my neighbors has his kids in Cherry Creek Schools. (which is NOT in the the cherry creek neighborhood but rather around the suburban Denver Tech Center). There's lots of options, but getting your kids into good schools requires research and careful planning, as the majority of DPS schools are not good.

I hope that helps. I think you'll find living in Denver very rewarding in a lot of ways -- I suggest you do a tour of the neighborhoods and find the one that appeals to you best -- each has its own distinct character.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Look at Park Hill, the area East of Colorado Blvd and North of Colfax. Go no further North than the City Park area.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
If you really poke around you could maybe get a fixer-upper in Congress Park.
It is close to the real Cherry Creek, as is the Alamo Placita neighborhood.
But Park Hill is nice too.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,502 times
If you main concern is good schools, beyond Cherry Creek I would look at the Adams-12 district in Adams County and Jeffco School District. (Jefferson County) Jeffco has been rated one of the best districts in the nation. Check out their web sight. Schools in Denver very greatly and they are having sime big issues.

Of the places you mentioned, you will find the biggest selection of houses in your price range in Arvada. Golden is a nice smaller city that has it's own identity but housing is higher. A good rule for the Denver area is the closer to the mountains, the higher the housing costs. Evergreen is quite a ways from Denver and is truelly mountain living.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 64,433 times
Thank you so much! It sounds like there might be more options than I imagined. I was in Denver a year ago and I didn't manage to see beyond the sprawl. I was there for a recon trip to look at areas but I got so overwhelmed that I left after only a couple of days. I'm hoping to be more prepared this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or