Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 38,922 times

Advertisements

Delta is a cool town. Nice downtown and real nice people. Housing is very inexpensive compared to any place else on the western slope. It is a very normal town. Poor people, rich people and in-between people. Lots of agriculture. Decient schools and a movie theater, plus a drive-in. A wal-mart, a City Market, a bigger hospital, and a somwhat growing economy. Check out the Chamber of Commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I'm glad you like Delta. I've had family there for many years, so I know it well. I would say this, though--it is no paradise. Wages are lousy, as I posted earlier, and likely to stay that way. Unfortunately, the area has bigger crime problems than one would expect to find in that size of communities. In the last several years, gang activity has increased significantly, and tagging and other gang-related activity is becoming more common. Much of the community is in denial about it--maybe because a lot of the residents haven't been there long enough to remember how it was. For years, the family I have there didn't have to lock their doors or vehicles. Those days are long gone.

Delta County has also been a center for marijuana growing and other drug trafficking for years. It's proximity to both Aspen and Telluride (where folks have plenty of $$ to buy drugs) probably has caused some of that.

I would dispute the "lots of agriculture" comment. Agriculture is really on the ropes in that area, compared to just a few years ago. Development pressures are really eating in to alot of the prime farm ground and orchard lands. That's too bad--it was the calling card for the area for years. It's unbelievable to me how much of that area has "surburbanized" in the last 15 years or so.

Delta County is by no means a horrible place to live or anything close to it, but it would not be my top pick for a place to be.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 34,330 times
Default 5 month report/living in Delta CO

Delta really is a pretty nice small city. The locals have been quite inclusive of us newcomers and we have already made some nice friends. The weather has been quite hot and dry, so much different from Wisconsin. But I've adjusted well and use a ton of moisturizer every day. The city services are quite satisfactory and working with city hall re: building permits has been a hassle-free experience. The train rolls through the city throughout the day and night. I like it. What retail stores that aren't here, are in Montrose, just a short drive south. They're opening a JC Penney and Target store there. I think Delta is just fine with a Wal-Mart as the sole "big box" store. (Walgreens is coming) There are a number of retail stores up and down main street, practically everything you need.
I've taken to doing alot of walking as I live just a block off of main street. Since I filled the gas tank on May 18th, I've put 45 miles on my car. We moved three vehicles here and I could really do without my car. Should have sold it back in Wisconsin. The major disappointment is available employment and the low wage and salary offered here. I'm so glad we didn't opt for one of those new subdivision properties. We kept it simple and moved into a 900sq ft house in the main part of town. Mortgage payments are $600., quite do-able. I've applied for at least 5 "good-paying"' jobs and haven't gotten my foot in the door yet. If you move here from a large city, the one thing you need to be aware of is the "small town chatter". I mean it, most everything you do is up for conversation. I am working for a local retail merchant and was exploring another opportunity. My boss came to me and asked when I was leaving! I hadn't even filled out an application, I just asked some questions at a social function. Oh, also...it's basically who you know not what you know that gets you into the decent jobs here. I do like the $8.50/hr job I have right now. I just settled into the notion that I can't come here and blow them away with my resume. It's going to take time. But I just keep my resume out there and sooner or later something will hit.
My husband is retired and I work about 30-35 hrs a week. If you just understand that you might have to live simply at first, you'll adjust much better. I like it here alot and I don't think I'd move back to Wisconsin, the recreation here is great and if we miss the hub-bub of a larger city Grand Junction is fairly close.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 PM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
Glad to see someone is having success moving and settling in in Colorado. Sorry to hear about not landing that dream job yet. $600/month would even cover an apartment in Chicago let alone the utilities. My map might be off in scale, but Durango has this giant flea market every Sunday. Maybe it's time for a garage sale?

I hope to have a success story up here within a year just as I'm waist deep in snow trying to deliver a pizza. I wouldn't have as nice a place as the one you have. I'm talking about a $15,000.00 dollar trailer either on it's own double lot or in a park paying $275.00 a month for lot rent.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 PM

63 posts, read 334,042 times
Delta is a neat little town..

It is headed for some growth and hope it brings in higher wages like Montrose is getting.

Property is still a good investment ,but going up a bit

HM

Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 11,261 times
Default my perspective

hi, i too am from wisconsin (GB) and have landed in delta..five plus months now.. i'm not nearly so curmudgeonly about the problems but admit i didn't know the 'old delta' so no frame of reference for comparison.. my wife took a job, like you did, to fill the gap for a while until she can qualify for instate tuition..she's at walmart, started at $8.50 or so....i hear the chocolate factory pays better, in montrose..you could try any number of other companies, government, or try starting a small business, we did, and there's always delta-montrose tech right here if you wanted to pursue other options. anyway what town doesnt have that drug element? nowhere i have ever lived, and i've lived in big cities and tiny villages. tagging? i haven't seen much and i'm all over town on my bike. i don't see any evidence of 'gangs' like, what? the bloods and the crips? where are they? we do leave our car doors unlocked..agreed, not much to miss back in wi, esp. those dreary gray winter days...i really appreciate all the public land in every direction, unlike my hometown.. here there's fewer bugs in summer unless you're on the mesa.. i did go back recently and saw the blaze of orange and red in the leaves, which was nice..compared to delta's dry yellow this time of year...but i still think it's just as or more beautiful in delta, just a different kind of beauty.. that sun is so brilliant and steady, i'm glad for a rainy day once in a blue moon.. looking forward to skiing all around the region, back country, x-country, downhill! we rode our dual-sport bikes everywhere all summer, paddled, hiked, were outside every day...yee haw! paradise found!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:47 AM

296 posts, read 802,710 times
Yeah, I have yet to find small towns in rural areas to pay high wages.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,607 times
Hello there,

Are you still in Delta?

I'm considering a move from Wisconsin to Colorado!

How are you holding up in Delta...coming from Wisconsin?!?

Thanks for any replies!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-02-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado