Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmom View Post
With regard to lane usage in a roundabout in CO:

Before every roundabout, there is a cautionary yellow sign telling drivers that there is a roundabout ahead, and there may be a cautionary suggested speed in the center of that sign. If it's a two-lane roundabout, there will also be a black-on-white sign telling you how each lane is to be used. There may also be a black-on-white speed limit sign. There are sometimes broken lines in a two-lane roundabout that might allow you to change lanes inside the roundabout, but the best policy is to be preapared: look for the black-on-white sign _before_ you get to the roundabout.

Remember that the yellow signs are cautionary. The black-on-white signs are the law.

Busmom
Hey there school bus lady, thanks for the info and WELCOME to City-Data!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM

46 posts, read 170,720 times
My first encounter with roundabouts was in New Zealand- they are EVERYWHERE! And you are on the other side of the road, in the other side of the car, and going clockwise instead of counterclockwise! I'll admit that I probably drove around the first one at 3 or 4 times, but by the end of 4 months, I was a master and a fan! I think they help with traffic because you can get through them faster than a four-way stop sign, and if you're not sure where to go, you can just go around till you find the right turn! All in all, I do think roundabouts are better than 4-ways, when people learn how to use them. The one in Canon is about the only one I've seen in the states, but then they have those stupid frontage streets, which are completely annoying and useless...

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM

157 posts, read 652,544 times
I used to hate roundabouts (in part, because I was never taught how to use one properly and eventually had to figure it out on my own) but after living in London for 6 months they've started to grow on me. The one place I felt they were absolutely useless though was in high traffic areas...like Trafalgar Square in central London for example. I sat in a taxi one day at that roundabout for nearly 20 min when I could have probably gotten out and walked to my destination quicker at that point. They seem to work very well in areas with moderate traffic or limited high traffic times, but the places where traffic was constantly heavy, they just seemed to cause more problems.

I just wished more people here would learn how to use them like they're meant to be. There is a roundabout in Colorado Springs on Powers...beside the Best Buy store and I can't tell you how many times we've nearly been hit by someone that has no clue what they're doing in the thing. And some of the places I've seen them pop up around the US, it honestly seems like it was more for aesthetics and the actual benefit to traffic from it was an afterthought.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 AM

138 posts, read 338,440 times
Rotaries are usually only good for one lane traffic intersections. When you start adding more lanes you run into problems. Also putting them on highways like Massachusetts does causes enormous traffic jams.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM

67 posts, read 146,024 times
In the panhandle of Texas, they are relatively common.

since that was my vacation spot, I have always known how to navigate one. I can say that I was very surprised to see them start to pop up in suburbia here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado