Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 AM

29 posts, read 117,865 times

Advertisements

Hello..I have been reading this forum for colorado and have to say, southern colorado around Durango sounds great...we are in our 50's and retiring soon on disability because of my husbands accident...seems to have culture and things to do around this area all year long!! we don't mind the cold, we live in northern montana for Gods sake!!
So what ARE the bad things about this area?!! Can anyone think of any? Is meeting new people our age a hard thing to do? We want to live in the out-lying areas of Durango...We are active (as active as a man with a plate in his back is able to be!!) and enjoy fishing/walking/lakes/music...
Thanks for any/all comments!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Let's see Montanagirl on bad things, Durango has been growing a lot so traffic can get congested, especially around the morning and evening rush hours. Really I can't think of anything else. You have lots of lakes. There are cold water lakes for great fishing and the large warm water Navajo lake for fun like jet skiing or boating. There are many trails and paved trails too around Durango for walking or biking. Lots of retirees, so you will be able to meet as many people as you can handle. Lot of young people too and that keeps the city alive. All kinds of music. Festivals, parades, parties, concerts from classical to jazz, from country to hip hop to rock. Galleries, theaters and dancing. Lots to do. You can search on this forum for more stuff too. What makes the Farmington-Durango-Cortez-Pagosa area so nice is you are close to all four cities and you can go from a total desert in Farmington, to the high mountains with thick forests, north of Durango, in minutes. You will find every store you can think of practically in Farmington. You have Mesa Verde and lots of cowboy western activities to do in Cortez and Durango's nightlife is terrific. The hots springs in Pagosa and Durango and recreational activities in Durango are fantastic as well! They even have men and women rugby teams. Soccer and rugby are loved in Durango. Swim clubs, several beautiful golf courses, exercise and fitness clubs, yoga, spas and baths, retreats and camps, tennis and so on. There are lodges. Veteran clubs. Tons of clubs to join. Way too many to list, but you won't be bored!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-21-2006 at 02:06 AM..

Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Crackerjack,

You and I have talked before about Colorado and New Mexico, (probably a couple of months ago), and after reading your response on this thread, (I've been following both the NM and CO forums, even though I haven't posted much on them, lately), I thought of another question. In your opinion, which is the cheaper area, for an average middle class couple to live, in Colorado - Durango, Trinidad, or Pueblo? I don't know if that is too broad a question, but you always seem to have such good information about CO and NM, that I figured picking your brain is always a good thing! We would be looking to buy something outright, (preferably outside of town), and we have no young children to raise. I think that my husband and I have pretty well decided that CO would be more to our liking and advantage, should we have the opportunity to move back West. We've been looking more closely at Pueblo, lately. But, we certainly haven't ruled out the other two areas. But, cost of living, anywhere, is obviously important, and it is sometimes harder to ascertain. Any information or advice that you know, and can pass on would add to our knowledge.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 PM

55 posts, read 217,629 times
Default Question for Montana Girl

Montanagirl,

Just wondering why the move from beautiful northern Montana to Colorado? We have been looking to relocate and are trying to decide between No. Montana (Kalispell, Whitefish), southern Montana (Bozeman) and Colorado (Durango). Durango is currently leading our "spreadsheet" wars. I would love any feedback on Montana that you could offer. I have travelled thru Kaispell and stayed for a week in Fortine. (Loved it!) My husband and I took a "look and see" trip to Bozeman a few months ago. We are now looking to take a similar trip to Durango. Curious as to your perspective.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Crackerjack,

You and I have talked before about Colorado and New Mexico, (probably a couple of months ago), and after reading your response on this thread, (I've been following both the NM and CO forums, even though I haven't posted much on them, lately), I thought of another question. In your opinion, which is the cheaper area, for an average middle class couple to live, in Colorado - Durango, Trinidad, or Pueblo? I don't know if that is too broad a question, but you always seem to have such good information about CO and NM, that I figured picking your brain is always a good thing! We would be looking to buy something outright, (preferably outside of town), and we have no young children to raise. I think that my husband and I have pretty well decided that CO would be more to our liking and advantage, should we have the opportunity to move back West. We've been looking more closely at Pueblo, lately. But, we certainly haven't ruled out the other two areas. But, cost of living, anywhere, is obviously important, and it is sometimes harder to ascertain. Any information or advice that you know, and can pass on would add to our knowledge.

Hi CelticLady! Nice to hear from you! Of the cities you mentioned, I will try to give you my opinion and the pro and cons of each:
Trinidad - Pro: It is a reasonably cheap place to live. The scenery is nice. It is your typical historic US town.
Cons: It is small so you will pretty much have to venture out to do more than basic stuff. It is rundown in areas. If you are white, you will be a minority, I mention it because to some that is a factor. It isn't for me, I have quite a few Hispanics in my family, but might be for some.

Pueblo - Pros: Cheap place to live. Has nice areas and trails, good shopping, nice people. Milder area (but hotter summers).
Cons: It is more of a desert than the typical Colorado town you vision Colorado as being. It has crime, not huge, but it is there to a degree.

Durango - Pros: In the mountains. A milder area. Has great entertainment. Is an art and entertainment mecca, yet not a huge city. Lots to do. Great lakes. It is a beautiful city.
Cons: It is the more expensive of the cities you mentioned. The traffic can be bad especially during rush hour. Not Denver rush hour traffic, but for it's size, it has considerable traffic.
So for you being on a budget, I'd have to say go with Pueblo.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:26 AM

Thank you for answering my question, Crackerjack! From what info we could find, concerning cost of living, we have been leaning towards Pueblo. It did seem as though Durango was more expensive; not outrageously so, but perhaps more than we could comfortably afford. But, it's good to hear about it from someone who's in the general area, and you certainly seem to know your way around both states! I know Pueblo's not in the mountains, like Durango, but, on the other hand, you can actually see the mountains, if you know what I mean. From what I could gather, it seems like home costs are lower in Pueblo. As far as the heat, trust me, it still has to be better than the humid heat we get here in NW Florida! As to the Hispanic population in Trinidad, that's not an issue for me, so long as folks want to get along, and don't want to make it some kind of a problem. I have no problems with anyone, in those perspectives. I like to get along with people, whoever they are, so long as they give me a chance! My son-in-law is Puerto Rican, and I love him to death! His folks are very nice people!

You did mention crime, in Pueblo. Now, obviously, there is crime everywhere, but, do you know where the particular areas are in, and around, Pueblo, that would be best to avoid! How 'bout the outlying towns, like Colorado City, Canon City, etc.? Do you know anything about them?

Thank you, again! You are always to nice to answer me, when I have questions. It is always so helpful to me. I still say you should write a travel book, someday! Maybe you and Winnie could collaborate!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:48 AM

CelticLady, I like the neighborhoods of University Park, which is west of the CSU-P campus and El Camino, which is in the southwest part. Also Belmont, which is south of the CSU-P campus and Southpointe. Some more areas I would think are good would be Eagleridge Estates, Northridge and up in the North Pueblo area. Houses costs more in these areas though in general. El Camino and Southpointe being more costly I would think, but still these areas are cheap compared to Colorado. Check with the local police on crime. They will know which areas to keep out of, but Pueblo is basically a safe city. It does have a drug problem with Mexican gang controlled drugs going in there. The city though isn't as bad as many other cities in America.

Canon City is a nice small city near the awesome Royal Gorge. It has low crime but I have heard in recent years of a large increase in rapes, so women should take extra precautions there. The buildings sort of remind me some of Trinidad. To me, it seems more on the desert mountain type of terrain. I don't know much about Colorado City, just it is a really small town off of I 25. It looked like a one horse town to me, but I really don't know.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-22-2006 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-24-2006, 07:33 AM

That's a good idea about checking with the police, concerning the crime and the neighborhoods that would be best to steer clear of. I hadn't thought about that.

As to Canon City, it looked rather intriguing, and it is beautiful. My husband and I saw a home with acreage for sale, (on a realestate website), in that area, that was stunning. Way beyond our means, but there were a number of pictures, showing the surrounding area, and the mountains. It was gorgeous! The one thing I find odd, is the number of prisons in Canon City. It's an industry unto itself! Makes you wonder, if it's safer or more dangerous in that area?

Yeah, Colorado City did look like a one-horse town, from what I could find about it. An afterthought or overspill from Pueblo, I suppose.

Thank you, once again, Crackerjack! You're always helpful. Like I said before, I don't post much on the NM or CO forums anymore, but I do read them, particularly when I see that that you have either started a thread, or have answered someone else's. I know that I will read something helpful and interesting.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:17 PM

20 posts, read 102,892 times
Recently moved from Buffalo, NY to Pueblo - Northridge. Every day there is the "Crime Beat" in the paper and it is such a joke! There are some crimes, but not a daily drive-by or two as I am used to seeing on the news in NY. If you are white, it seems about 60/40 on the white side - haven't had any issues.

There are some beautiful historic homes and plenty of new construction, too. I'd steer clear of Pueblo West - looks like a bunch of "little houses on the prairie" - zoning must be very lax and I heard there is a high foreclosure rate. In order of prices - Northridge, Eagleridge, Walking Stick on the noth end - South, Aberdeen (near the college), El Camino come to mind. Again, plenty of existing housing and new construction. All reasonable.

Colorado City is a one horse town, but prettier than Pueblo - but it's a 25 mile ride to Pueblo where any "big box" stores/malls are. If you want convenience - Pueblo. Beauty - Colorado City. Canon City is OK - same thing - long ride to a street that I refer to as "Anywhere USA" with your Denny's, Hampton Inn, Best Buy, etc.....

I'm happy as a clam in Pueblo - don't expect to make big $ there, however - it is all relative.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:23 AM

That was really kind of you to say that CelticLady. Thank you!
Yes, Canon City is the prison "mecca". I have also wondered if being around prisons would be safer or worse. In one sense, you would have guards and police living in the area and I don't think prisoners, who escaped, would stick around there for very long. On the other hand, if some broke out, they could be dangerous and having a child outside when one broke out, I shutter to think...
So if I was, say a couple with no kids, Canon City I think would be fine. I'd still have a really good security alarm, just in case. If I had kids, I'd have to pass. You can't put kids in jeopardy, even if it is a small chance. That is how I see it. CoolAsColorado was right on target too about Pueblo, Canon City and Colorado City. Pueblo does have all the shopping one would ever need. I have seen some really nice restored historic homes in Pueblo too. I think for inexpensive living in Colorado, Pueblo is one of the best for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado