Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: construction job leads, loans, loan, cost of living, real estate.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM

34 posts, read 116,883 times

Advertisements

I know that home building is very slow but what about all the other types of construction? Mid rise mixed use res/retail, highrise? I plan on moving next spring to Parker and I am a senior project manager for a company that builds big buildings like the ones that have multi level parking with street level shops and lofts above. I also know how to build homes and anything else as well. Will I be able to find work and feed my family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,108,404 times
Good luck.

My wife works for the largest law firm in the country, and represents many of the largest developers in the area and the country. From what she tells me is that permits to build have decreased by 50% or more, and that, even for the developers, borrowing money from the banks is getting near impossible, more than likely due to the beating their taking on bad loans.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

792 posts, read 3,128,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of bay or bust View Post
I also know how to build homes and anything else as well. Will I be able to find work and feed my family?
Work/jobs/steady employment IMO are the gaiting factor to making and sustaining a CO move. The emerging sectors IMO (others feel free to chime in) will be energy (i.e. extraction, processing, transport) and transportation (i.e. Light Rail, Commuter Rail). Do you have a PE or PMP cert? Could you transition over to energy or transporation sectors?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Default I here ya

Thanks for the info. I know permits for homes are down. Every time I visit my in laws I see construction everywhere and I see alot of posts for construction managers. I guess the bottom line is my desire for a better life than the stress filled over crowded california lifestyle. I am willing to work at Home Depot and rent a small home to make the change. Please anyond doing the same do not take that statment wrong. I just mean that I am willing to give up a very nice home and pay check to relocate.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,335,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of bay or bust View Post
Thanks for the info. I know permits for homes are down. Every time I visit my in laws I see construction everywhere and I see alot of posts for construction managers. I guess the bottom line is my desire for a better life than the stress filled over crowded california lifestyle. I am willing to work at Home Depot and rent a small home to make the change. Please anyond doing the same do not take that statment wrong. I just mean that I am willing to give up a very nice home and pay check to relocate.
Just be advised that the very things you're trying to escape are being recreated here, because there are thousands of others just like you, seeking a 'better quality of life' here in CO. You might not be that impressed after you've spent some time here.

Not trying to deter you, just suggesting that you not make an emotional decision based on things you read about on an internet forum or chamber of commerce website. Things are not always as they seem...Colorado is projected to gain another 1M people by 2020, which would put us over 5M population. Far from CA proportions, but not without issues such as energy and water, which are lining up to bite us in the arse if people don't get on board with a plan for how this region can accomodate all this growth. Wishful thinking is the status quo among our elected leaders.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,108,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Just be advised that the very things you're trying to escape are being recreated here, because there are thousands of others just like you, seeking a 'better quality of life' here in CO. You might not be that impressed after you've spent some time here.

Not trying to deter you, just suggesting that you not make an emotional decision based on things you read about on an internet forum or chamber of commerce website. Things are not always as they seem...Colorado is projected to gain another 1M people by 2020, which would put us over 5M population. Far from CA proportions, but not without issues such as energy and water, which are lining up to bite us in the arse if people don't get on board with a plan for how this region can accomodate all this growth. Wishful thinking is the status quo among our elected leaders.
I agree with everything Shuffler said.

Colorado has become a California "lite".

Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Where are all these stable, good paying jobs to support transplants from CA, TX, midwest, and elsewhere? It all boils down to JOBS/JOBS/JOBS. But I am also amazed how some people with virtual businesses, home based businesses, LD telecommuters, portable businesses, and trust fund types are moving in droves there like the gold rush. Does it all boils down to JOBS/JOBS/JOBS? I've always been amazed by what people up in Boulder do for a living. Tons of people cycling and hanging out during normal 9-4pm M-F business hours. Never seen that in any other major city. What happens to the trust fund types when the piggy bank runs out? How do they explain their gap to prospective employers?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,335,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Where are all these stable, good paying jobs to support transplants from CA, TX, midwest, and elsewhere? It all boils down to JOBS/JOBS/JOBS. But I am also amazed how some people with virtual businesses, home based businesses, LD telecommuters, portable businesses, and trust fund types are moving in droves there like the gold rush. Does it all boils down to JOBS/JOBS/JOBS? I've always been amazed by what people up in Boulder do for a living. Tons of people cycling and hanging out during normal 9-4pm M-F business hours. Never seen that in any other major city. What happens to the trust fund types when the piggy bank runs out? How do they explain their gap to prospective employers?
In past years, much of the migration seemed to be from the 'equity locusts', cashing in their homes in NY, CA, TX, etc., and coming here to stake their claim which has in turn driven up prices and the cost of living in general.

A lot of it has been driven by a very strong tech & telecom market, and most recently energy. So I think there are a lot of smart people out there with a lot of money who see the appeal here.

There are also those lackies hanging out and living life on somebody else's money and hard work, who don't exist in the same reality I do. Wish I was that fortunate! Boulder seems to draw the most of them, and a lot of it is students from the right and left coast who have a lifeline to family money.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Default Thanks shuffler

I know that Colorado is not the cure. over the last 15 years of visiting my inlaws I have seen alot of change. From an emotional point of view on a move it is a no brainer. We are alone here in Ca and all the family we would want to be near is in Co. I would like my kids 6 and 9 to be close to their grand parents, uncles and aunts. From a $ point of view it is more of a no brainer. I ran the numbers of my current home payment and income + my monthly expenses compaired to a home payment on a $350,000 home in Parker with similar expenses and cut my pay by 50% and I still have more in the bank at the end of the month. plus I get rid of a few hundred thousand dollars or home debt. To everybody reading this, I understand the pro's and con's of relocating and this forum has helped me alot with what I don't see while I am out there visiting. Just to make it clear if I move my family Colorado will be + the kind of family that makes a comunity better.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
In past years, much of the migration seemed to be from the 'equity locusts', cashing in their homes in NY, CA, TX, etc., and coming here to stake their claim which has in turn driven up prices and the cost of living in general.
It's created fierce competition IMO on many fronts, especially housing and decent, good paying jobs.

Quote:
A lot of it has been driven by a very strong tech & telecom market, and most recently energy. So I think there are a lot of smart people out there with a lot of money who see the appeal here.
I see no appeal whatsoever working in those industries. It's not my line of work.

Quote:
There are also those lackies hanging out and living life on somebody else's money and hard work, who don't exist in the same reality I do.
What happens when one bumps into one of these types, strikes up a converstion, and asks "what line of work do ya' do"? Do they get all quiet and defensive?

Quote:
Boulder seems to draw the most of them, and a lot of it is students from the right and left coast who have a lifeline to family money.
Why is Boulder such a magnet for non-working trust fund types? Do these birds of a feather tend to flock together (i.e. congregate in Boulder proper)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: