U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:25 PM

450 posts, read 1,683,928 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, great to see such an active board as city-data, just discovered it last week!

I spent several years in Colorado and had a lot of sinus problems. The dry air seemed to be the major culprit -- as a doctor friend of mine explained, the dry air causes the mucus to dry out, sit in the sinuses too long and cause infection. To make issues worse for me personally, the CT-scans show my sinus passages to be smaller than normal.

However, when it came to seasonal allergies, Colorado was a good place, and other than the sinus issue (which eventually led me to move), I really enjoyed living there. My question is.... has anyone had any luck finding any way to help your sinuses to adjust to life a mile above sea level?

Thanks, and I look forward to your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 11:49 PM

157 posts, read 577,909 times
Hey HockeyFan (Avs fan?)

you might want to check out www.naet.com, www.tat-intl.com, www.nmt.com, and www.emofree.com -- these have helped many with all kinds of allergy problems and you can e-mail/call lots of docs listed on each site for more help/ideas idf necessary.

good luck dgoboy

Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,462,959 times
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had hardly any sinus problems since moving to Colorado! When I lived in Minnesota it was almost a permanent issue with the extreme changes in temperature, dryness, humidity, etc. I spent a fortune on medications and even wondered if I'd need surgery at one point. These days I can't remember the last time I had any pain let alone an outright infection. I don't know what I did right, but perhaps I just got really lucky. Touch wood.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 PM

26 posts, read 186,115 times
Just try Saline Spray. It costs about 2-3 bucks for a 3 month bottle, and works great for me during Santa Ana season here in SoCal.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,914 times
We moved here in July of 2005 -- from Florida of all places. As you can imagine, my sinuses went through quite an adjustment considering July in Florida is daily rain and 95% humidity and here it was about 9% (they were having a MAJOR heat wave).

I second the use of OTC saline spray to keep things lubed up until nature corrects the situation.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM

955 posts, read 3,257,187 times
also invest in a humidifer - either small room size or full home if you are a home owners

Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 PM

450 posts, read 1,683,928 times
I've been using Simply Saline during dry weather -- it certainly helps, but does it make a significant difference when there's single-digit humidities? Definitely one of the best things I've found so far.

Yes, humidifiers are also a must -- I agree entirely.

The other thing I've found -- avoid antihistamines, as they dry out the nasal passages even further.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,758 times
Hello everyone, I live all of my 34 years in Puerto Rico and every time i have allergies (raining nose, sinus etc) and sometimes i need antibiotics. I try everything (Allegra, Actifed, Ismanal etc) and looks like my condition is for life!. In november i visit Colorado Springs and my wife and me love it and in my 2 weeks I'm very good,no sinus. Days ago we moved to Colorado Springs and OMG this sinus me crazy!!!! In the morning i have rainy nose until 12pm aprox but the most bad, worry and troubling to me is that every night i have a little bit of fever and headache obviously by the sinus apart from a bit of blood sometimes when I shake my nose. I know that i need to visit a doctor but because i moved days ago I'm not have medical insurance plan (i apply for one but not have yet and is so poor, only include 3 visits a year) My question is:

Until I can visit a doctor in addition to the dehumidifier and saline water any other tip or remedy? With this weather when you have fever looks like the house furnace is not working and the house is at 30grades :-(

Thanks in advance for any tip.

(sorry for my english)

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 AM

236 posts, read 394,473 times
I came visit from the east coast (Wash DC area) cold, damp ect...

I had no trouble to speak of anywhere I traveled, I never felt so normal. Began sneezing again and stuffy around St Louis when heading back.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I spent several years in Colorado and had a lot of sinus problems. The dry air seemed to be the major culprit -- as a doctor friend of mine explained, the dry air causes the mucus to dry out, sit in the sinuses too long and cause infection. To make issues worse for me personally, the CT-scans show my sinus passages to be smaller than normal.

However, when it came to seasonal allergies, Colorado was a good place, and other than the sinus issue (which eventually led me to move), I really enjoyed living there. My question is.... has anyone had any luck finding any way to help your sinuses to adjust to life a mile above sea level?
A sinus rinse like Neilmed with the approved saline packets. Doing the rinse once or twice a day to keep the nasal passages moist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or