U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 07-04-2008, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 33,524 times
Default Colorado............ liberal state?

I just return from Colorado and after talking to a lot of people in your state, I was very surprise to hear all the talk about Barack Obama and what a great president he would make. Colorado has been like a second home to me for many years, but it appear your state is changing? My question, has your state gone from red to blue. If so why?
Ask a conservative living in a conservative state, I for one would hate to see Colorado turn into another Vermont with San Francisco values.
Please don't misunderstand me, liberal are great just as long as they stay on the east and west coast.

Unread 07-04-2008, 06:51 PM

7,578 posts, read 13,740,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw2020 View Post
I just return from Colorado and after talking to a lot of people in your state, I was very surprise to hear all the talk about Barack Obama and what a great president he would make. Colorado has been like a second home to me for many years, but it appear your state is changing? My question, has your state gone from red to blue. If so why?
Ask a conservative living in a conservative state, I for one would hate to see Colorado turn into another Vermont with San Francisco values.
Please don't misunderstand me, liberal are great just as long as they stay on the east and west coast.
Well, the "liberals" are NOT staying on the East and West coasts--they have moved to Colorado in droves, and--yes--they are changing the politics of the state. In truth, Colorado never WAS the ultra-conservative hotbed that some would like to think it was. For most of its existence, Colorado has been a fairly politically moderate state, with control see-sawing between moderate Republicans and moderate Democrats. One of the sad things that has happened in Colorado in the last 20 years or so (and, no, not just in Colorado) is the increasing polarization of the political process into ultra-liberal and ultra-conservative factions. Cooperation and cooperation has increasingly turned to rancor and stalemate. I'm a political moderate (who has been politically active and held public office) and the nonsense now going on at both ends of the political spectrum disgusts me.

A friend of mine (a pretty conservative Republican) made this pithy comment one day, "Yep, all the Republican office-holders did their damnedest to promote the hell out of growth for Colorado. It worked--except that about three-quarters of the people who moved in were liberal Democrats who then had enough stroke to vote a lot of the Republicans out of office. Real smart . . . "

Unread 07-04-2008, 10:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,640,073 times
How most Coloradoans see the world

gun rights--conservative except City and County of Denver
women's rights--conservative since Reagan except Boulder
corporate rights--conservative or stupid, can't tell which, infects the entire state govt.
property rights--conservative but the Supreme court bailed on them so now they are mad if in private sector and are opportunistic if in the pubic sector
privacy rights--liberal except if it is for women
No new federal rules or "unfunded mandates"--conservative
Job rights--liberal because they are all loosing their jobs and there is no safety net in this state
union rights--a starving worker will vote for anything if hungry enough, liberal
diversity--there is only one social group deserving of help, that is Hispanic. Is that liberal or conservative?
Morals--sanctimonious, both liberal and conservative

In short, one thing is for sure: there are NO moderates in Colorado.

Unread 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
In short, one thing is for sure: there are NO moderates in Colorado.
Nonsense! There are plenty of moderates in Colorado--they just don't try to hog the limelight the way the ultra-conservatives and ultra-liberals are inclined to do. I have many, many friends across this state--Republican, Democrat, and independent. All but a handful of them would be considered political moderates by most any measure. And most are mix of ideologies. One is a strong believer in gun rights, minimal government regulation, and a strong military--but is stridently pro-choice. Another is a strident fiscal conservative, but is a proud card-carrying member of the Sierra Club, Friends of the Earth, the Wilderness Society, and the NRA! Another is a tireless advocate for the "social safety net" and women's rights issues, but is a former full-bird Colonel in the Air Force. How do you classify those folks?

My friends call me a political enigma--a mixture of liberal, conservative, populist. I don't get hung up on labels--and I do consider myself a moderate more than anything else. I just wish everyone would quit yelling and screaming at each other over ideology. If they would listen to each other, they just might find out that they have a lot more in common than not. America actually used to work that way.

Unread 07-05-2008, 07:10 AM

65,024 posts, read 51,314,622 times
I was listening to good ole KUNC, an NPR station in Greeley the other day. They were doing their weekly political interview. It was stated that there are more Independents registered to vote than Democrats, and almost as many Independents as Republicans. That is "moderate" to me. One pervasive feature of Colorado politics is a distrust of the feds. I have seen that in liberals and convervatives alike.

Unread 07-05-2008, 07:34 AM

329 posts, read 940,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Nonsense! There are plenty of moderates in Colorado--they just don't try to hog the limelight the way the ultra-conservatives and ultra-liberals are inclined to do. I have many, many friends across this state--Republican, Democrat, and independent. All but a handful of them would be considered political moderates by most any measure. And most are mix of ideologies. One is a strong believer in gun rights, minimal government regulation, and a strong military--but is stridently pro-choice. Another is a strident fiscal conservative, but is a proud card-carrying member of the Sierra Club, Friends of the Earth, the Wilderness Society, and the NRA! Another is a tireless advocate for the "social safety net" and women's rights issues, but is a former full-bird Colonel in the Air Force. How do you classify those folks?

My friends call me a political enigma--a mixture of liberal, conservative, populist. I don't get hung up on labels--and I do consider myself a moderate more than anything else. I just wish everyone would quit yelling and screaming at each other over ideology. If they would listen to each other, they just might find out that they have a lot more in common than not. America actually used to work that way.
Well said Jazz. The extreme polarization in politics that has happened during the past 20 years has resulted in a broken system. The USA has way too many long term giant problems, e.g. Health care, energy, social security and medicare, giant budget and trade deficits.., and the polarized forces just sling mud at each other without finding solutions.

Sometimes, I get so discouraged that I just tune it all out. Seems to me that people aren't so much voting for Democrats as they are just voting out the Republicans.

Unread 07-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One pervasive feature of Colorado politics is a distrust of the feds. I have seen that in liberals and convervatives alike.
The really funny part about that, Kat, is that--while Coloradans of all stripes distrust the feds--both parties in their own ways are more than willing to milk Washington for every single dime of federal pork they can get. If the feds every actually got serious about wringing the pork out of federal spending, about a third of the Colorado economy would dry up and blow away. With the looming "perfect storm" of economic and fiscal crises that is looming, I suspect that Colorado's long "free lunch" at the federal trough is about to end--and we will get to see what a Colorado economy stripped of federal taxpayer largess looks like.

Unread 07-05-2008, 09:39 AM

5,766 posts, read 6,471,359 times
I find this "liberals are taking over Colorado" thing funny. I'm an actual Democrat, who lives in Douglas County. Of all the other Californian transplants I've met since moving here, I'm the only one from San Francisco and the only liberal. Every one else is an evangelical Christian, SoCal Republican. Most of my neighbors have no idea, because I usually stay away from political discourse with people whose kids play with mine. In the rare cases where I share my opinions, you should see the looks I get when they think they have found one of their ultra-conservative brethren only to find out that I hold very different views about most everything they hold dear. Oh, and I never miss an election. Be afraid...very, very afraid.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-05-2008 at 10:01 AM..

Unread 07-05-2008, 10:41 AM

15,740 posts, read 11,738,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I find this "liberals are taking over Colorado" thing funny. I'm an actual Democrat, who lives in Douglas County. Of all the other Californian transplants I've met since moving here, I'm the only one from San Francisco and the only liberal. Every one else is an evangelical Christian, SoCal Republican. Most of my neighbors have no idea, because I usually stay away from political discourse with people whose kids play with mine. In the rare cases where I share my opinions, you should see the looks I get when they think they have found one of their ultra-conservative brethren only to find out that I hold very different views about most everything they hold dear. Oh, and I never miss an election. Be afraid...very, very afraid.
I'm also a democrat who lives in Douglas County. My husband is a registered independent. I keep telling him it is all up to him in this next election, and he better not screw it up! I also remind him he still has to live with me when its all over I was happy with the large group of democrats marching in the HR parade yesterday. They got more cheers than the republicans, at least where I was sitting. This seems like a pretty moderate state to me, moving a little from red to blue.

Unread 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM

5,766 posts, read 6,471,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw2020 View Post
Seems to me it's up to the people of Colorado to elect those who best represent them, not someone from Texas. If you get tired of Dallas-Fort Worth (a guess based on your username), you're welcome to relocate here. Until you're a voting resident, your dismay at what you perceive to be Colorado's political bent is irrelevant; however, I do understand your concern. It must be frustrating to see your party and native son so disgrace the rest of the country that the Republican's incumbency is threatened.

Oops, did I actually write that? The filter between my mouth and brain that usually inhibits such outbursts must be malfunctioning. Better get that fixed before my kid's friends are no longer allowed to play at our house!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-05-2008 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado