Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 17,154 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I plan to go to South Fork, Denver and Colorado Springs bringing our 5th wheel. I am very afraid of heights. How bad is traveling thru Raton with an rv? I want to stay on wide highways with no steep grades. Is that possible? I want to make the trip for my husband. He has always wanted to go to Colorado and I don't want my fear to get in the way. Thanks for the help. Hill country girl in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,669,029 times
Good morning lzlaney! Welcome to the forum! Not to worry about Raton Pass, as it's a relatively easy pass to get over. As far as that goes La Veta pass is a similar climb, assuming you take 160 west from Walsenburg. I have been over that pass dozens of times as I worked on a pipeline in that area hauling laborers and welders to the jobsiteas we were based in Raton. Keep in mind that 160 west through the San Luis Valley is a 2 lane road, when you get west of Del Norte you want to watch for deer crossing the road.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,839,466 times
Raton pass is easy, don't worry.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,562,032 times
Chain up at the bottom, follow the river northbound, but watch out for avalanches in that steep country which happen all year round. Keep a lead vehiccle with flashers on so you don't get lost, and be sure to install a winch to get past those steep grades on the precipice youll be on most of the journey, don't forget survival gear

Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
We just did Raton today. It is a piece of cake as far as passes, but a lot of one lane construction in Trinidad.

As was said by HH, 160 west from Walsenburg up and down La Veta pass is easy, then you'll be in Ft Garland, Monte Vista, Alamosa, Del Snorte, then South Fork. That's all fine, so long as you don't go up Wolf Creek Pass. Now that's a good one.

Up I-25 through Colorado Springs and to Denver is easy. There's this itty bitty hill they make a big deal out of. It's called Monument Hill. Maybe if it's covered in a foot of snow or icy, then it's a bit dangerous.

Independence Pass, Hoosier Pass, Million Dollar Highway, Wolf Creek, now those are passes.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,847,145 times
i have been over raton its scenic but isnt that high maybe 8k at tops not to bad but is considerably higher than the plains/desert sourrounding it

Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,887,091 times
Raton (which is in New Mexico, not Colorado) is easy. If you can't negotiate (sp) that, you can't do much of anything but be in the flat lands. It's a slow ride in a fifth wheeler but you will be just fine as you would if you went over Vail Pass. Slow but go...not too hard at all, even Vail Pass is easy.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:37 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
Yes, Raton is infact a place in New Mexico near the border with Colorado.

But there's a pass known as Raton Pass which is kind of considered in both Colorado and in New Mexico along I-25. If someone were in Raton New Mexico and travelling into Colorado, it would be assumed that they'd get here via "Raton Pass".

I went ahead and google-earthed Raton Pass and it makes reference to the pass in both states;

Quote:
Descending Raton Pass on I-25 northbound, entering Colorado
It's also a possibility that the OP was referring to Raton Pass in the first place, as there's not much goin' on in Raton, the town. But I could be wrong about that. I don't mean that in a negative way to the town of Raton. It's just that statistically, it represents about 0.35% of the state's total population.

Raton Pass seems to have its climax right at about the border between the states with the high point being on the New Mexico side (by 1 foot, NM at 7842 ft. and Colorado at 7841 ft), North bound lanes. I believe that Raton is at about 6800 elevation and its comparable counterpart in Colorado is at about 6600 ft, so I'd say the Colorado side is the steeper of the two, allbeit- minimal.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-13-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 20,493 times
I've got the same problem as lzlaney as far as steep grades and dropoffs. Also, my 19-year-old daughter who has never driven on anything higher or steeper than our Loop around town in Lubbock, TX wants to drive most of the way from Lubbock to Colorado Springs. I've been over Raton Pass in the past, but it's been a long time and my fear of heights and drop offs has gotten worse over the years. How steep a grade is Raton Pass and how hard will it be for someone who has never driven any hill of any kind? Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,363,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan5559 View Post
I've got the same problem as lzlaney as far as steep grades and dropoffs. Also, my 19-year-old daughter who has never driven on anything higher or steeper than our Loop around town in Lubbock, TX wants to drive most of the way from Lubbock to Colorado Springs. I've been over Raton Pass in the past, but it's been a long time and my fear of heights and drop offs has gotten worse over the years. How steep a grade is Raton Pass and how hard will it be for someone who has never driven any hill of any kind? Thanks!!
For mountain drivers, Raton Pass is next to nothing--to flatlanders like yourself--well, I don't know. If you want to avoid mountains altogether, take US287 north out of Texas to US50 at Lamar, then west on 50 to Pueblo, then north on I-25 to Colorado Springs and you've missed driving through any of the mountains. Of course, seeing the mountains is why most people travel to Colorado, so . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado