Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwashed View Post
And yes, being debt free in oklahoma is the same thing in colorado. It's a choice that we have made to be debt free. Ok, so we may make the same money as you, but our house is smaller and we drive some beat up cars. So what, at least we don't have to worry about where we're going to come up wth the money to fix our car, pay for a visit to the hospital. We don't have to feel that we're stuck in a certain situation forever until we can get more credit. We refuse to be slaves to the lender and actually, we are doing quite well. It's worth a try for everyone to just consider what life would be like living debt free.
We are kindred spirits! It always amazes me how many people don't believe that you can choose to live without debt. Of course you can live without debt! And, believe me, if this spoiled-rotten, child-of-the-eighties can do it, anyone can do it.

Hope you find just what you desire here in Colorado. Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Exactly where?

Choose your exact location very carefully as it will determine so much else.

At one time I spent a portion of nearly every day within Rocky Mountain National Park. Just for a quick or leisurely hike when I felt like it. But this only because I lived literally on its doorstep. No getting in the car. No plans. Just walk out the front door. It was wonderful.

In such things location makes all the difference.

As a Front Range city Boulder, CO might be one of your options, although I mention it here only by way of example. It may be best situated for the casual hiker, with wonderful trails leading into the mountains directly from the town at their base. In certain specific locations one could literally walk out their front door and be on such a trail. For most citizens of Boulder the equation is a bit more complicated, involving a short drive across town and then dealing with parking. But this still far better access to some fine hiking than many another Front Range citizen might enjoy.

If traveling deeply into the high mountains I-70 is one of the best options. Access from Boulder is okay but still a drive. But from Ft. Collins, CO one might think once or twice before taking such an adventure. Of course access from Golden, CO would be appreciably easier than either of the other two. However if what you love happens to be within Summit County, if living on the Front Range, you will surely see a lot less of it than anyone actually living in the mountains.

Not only that, your life will be different. If living in Summit County you will deal with colder temperatures and more snow than in Denver, CO. Although you may find they actually do a better job of plowing than down below. Should it be skiing or some other outdoor pursuit, you'll also have far readier access; what might be a major weekend task dealing with traffic and crowds could there be no more than a few hours on the slopes mid-week when you feel like it, then off to something else. You'll also be surrounded by people that actually do this, rather than many another in a cubicle dreaming of it but rarely with the time or energy to make such excursions.

Or you may find the ease and ambience of a larger Front Range town suites you best. Perhaps the mountains are still close enough that you can and do go on occasion, and you have a favorite spot or two and it is easy enough to find them when you wish. Perhaps what you value more is the large and beautiful park close to your house that your dog loves so much. And then in this you are thankful that your home is where it is, and not on the far side of the busy street that you never have to cross.

In all this proximity matters, and entwines itself in all else you do and become.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 PM

835 posts, read 2,846,633 times
dude i am betting livin in co is alot like living anywhere EXCEPT FOR THE WEEKENDS WHEN YOU HIT THE ROCKIES!!!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:02 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,104,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
dude i am betting livin in co is alot like living anywhere EXCEPT FOR THE WEEKENDS WHEN YOU HIT THE ROCKIES!!!!!

That's probably true, but that traffic coming out of Denver going up the hill on the weekends is enough to make anyone want to stay home.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 87,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Until they turn it into the craphole that they left. Which, unfortunately, is exactly what appears to be happening--and that's especially apparent to those people who have lived here a long time, have a historical perspective and see what has already been lost. Maybe that's why they have that "pejorative" attitude.
I have some land in one of the areas considered not a good buy by some, slv ranch, and love this blog. I do like your input and would agree with you most of the time, but do feel you can be a little jaded about influx of people. I don't believe the road, septic, etc. on my 5 acres can possibly hurt your beautiful land, yes even my scrub brush is beautiful to me. Any change is going to impact someone badly and some the opposite. I hope to blend in with the area, not in any way change it if I even live there other than rving on my land in the summer. I don't believe everyone coming there is planning on ruining the land and the people having lived there for generations are fortunate to have lived the way the want for generations. Someone told me once that you can always survive if you can change your attitude with the times. There are two sides of the penny and it could be that some new thoughts could bring jobs to the area and maybe get rid of the drug gangs that are taking over quite a few rural areas for lack of law inforcement and simply apathy on the part of old generations. I do understand though, one of these days my land may even be worth something if the area takes off and I also would rather have it worth nothing since I won't need a job & will live on my measly social security, but you would think the young people in the area would like to have the opportunity to work and live there.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 AM

59 posts, read 158,681 times
I moved here from CA (I know..... I am hated for it). In CA, I woke up, left for work, came home had dinner, went to bed, and on the weekends did errands, laundry and cooking. I have never been one to go to concerts, or plays, or theater, or movies much, so these type of things available in CA, did not interest me. My basic lifestyle here in CO has not changed except that I no longer have to sit in traffic for 90 minutes to get to work. I do have some lovely scenery out my window, and spend more time on the deck reading, or in the hills behind my house hiking. The one addition to my life here has been a horse, because I now have more time (or rather I MAKE the time) to spend with him. My lifestyle here is the same, but I have learned to slow down. I am also enjoying "living with less" as far as shopping is concerned. What is truly important has fallen into perspective!

I know I could have done ALL of this in CA as well, but.... it seems to be easier to do, living in a smaller town and more rural area.

Last edited by justmyopinion; 07-14-2008 at 11:18 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM

15 posts, read 59,475 times
i believe that regardless the topic; the outcome, beit positive or negative, is strictly contingent upon your own fortitude, self control(over determination at times) and patience. anybody can do anything, especially live separate from the nipple of the gov't by getting a job and pulling his fair share of weight.

i am sure somebody will read this from oklahoma and possibly get offended..but here it goes and who cares...i am originally from texas (for 20+ years) and find that this state(oklahoma) is worse than the aroma on hot skunk spray...a person's happiness should exist on an impenetrable foundation of value and self dependence, structured with the drive and discipline to make their dreams and goals become reality. we want to move to colorado...we constantly hear how expensive it is(from people that don't actually live in colorado)...we tell these people how close we are to being completely debt free(thanks www.daveramsey.com), and they just look baffled. it becomes very clear to me that their problem is their concept of finances is distorted by their own inability to make wise fiscal decisions. it doesn't matter if you work at a taco stand or own a honda dealership...the same curve balls and credit card advertisements are thrown at you, just the pitch may be a bit different. we want to move to co, we have proven to be fiscally disciplined and we have determined that it is our fault, nobody elses if we can't make it...and my friends...we are making it. hope to see each of you soon....

ps...to those people that say laundry, traffic and dishes are the primary activities...try living in oklahoma for a weekend, just to have a scenic view out the window above the sink might make the scent of palmolive a bit more bearable..come on..if you find it is boring to live in one of the most popular resort states in the country...i don't think the issue is the lifestyle of the state, but rather the lifestyle of the complainer. he/she simply has no lifestyle outside the watered down treehouse with debt, cnn, msnbc, obama(jk..won't go there)...it's YOUR life, you make the decision to wash dishes with the curtains shut, that's fine...i'd rather enjoy the crisp lemon scent of my dish soap while watching the mountains just sit their in their awe...by the way, the dishes still have to get done...only difference between you and me, is that i actually know how to make the best of more things than you. cheers...hopefully we can make it up for oktoberfest...looks friggin great.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
You make some good points, beenwashed. I would say though, that no one should think moving to CO is going to drastically improve their life. That is the mistake a lot of people make in coming here. Their expectations are too high. Be realistic. The dishes will still be there to do, the toilets will still need to be scrubbed.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 PM

15 posts, read 59,475 times
That was my entire point. There's nothing wrong with having toilets to scrub or dishes to do. That's a fact of life. My whole point is that you make of your life what you want to make it. We want to make ours a life of living in a beautiful part of the country, living debt free, and take advantage of the chances we get go head out and enjoy the beauty that God gave all of us. Those are just a few of the things that bring us happiness. Life is life...there are certain things in Oklahoma that we dont' get to experience that all people who live in coloraod have teh ability to enjoy. We love the mountains, the cool air, and definatly the snow. AGAIN, we're not moving there to escape reality, and to try to live in lala land. We don't expect the mountains to take all our worries away and fix all our problems. If anyone moves somewhere to do that, they're sadly mistaken and in for a big disappointment. We're moving there because we want to, we love the outdoors, and it's been a dream of ours since we were little. If we get up there and we don't like it well then we will probably move somewhere else to find a place that feels like home. If we love it, we will probably stay. Right now, Oklahoma has been great to us but we have the opportunity to move up to Colorado, so why woudl we not seize the opportunity, and see what we can make of it!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
You never really know how much you'll like a new place until you've spent some time there. Even then, you might like it initially, then not it like so much as time goes on. Or vice versa, you might not like it so much initially, but then the place grows on you and you start really liking it. BUT, to even get to a new place there needs to be some initial attraction. So, my hat is off to all of those people willing to take a chance on living in Colorado or any new place for that matter. Wether you're doing so with a half baked plan and unrealistic expectations, or a plan that leaves little to chance, I admire your willingness to take a risk. Like beenwashed said, if you discover that it's not your cup of tea, you can always move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado