Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 59,522 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Colorado in about 3-6 months for his job. What is it like living up there? We currently live in Oklahoma, so automatically we know that cost of living will go up. Fortunately for us we will be debt free very very soon, so that doesn't bother us. What I want to know is do you go to the mountains much? Is it easy to just pack up some stuff and go for a quick hike for the day/weekend? How welcome are dogs around there and in the mountains? I've heard some about local Colorodoans being protective of Colorado to transplants...is that true? Are the roads cleared off in the winter? I guess jsut tell me about your day to day lives. We love the outdoors, adn going to parks with our dogs and we like a little bit of nightlife...mostly jsut going to a bar and getting a drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,063,700 times
Where in CO are you going to live?

Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwashed View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Colorado in about 3-6 months for his job. What is it like living up there? ... I guess jsut tell me about your day to day lives. We love the outdoors, adn going to parks with our dogs and we like a little bit of nightlife...mostly jsut going to a bar and getting a drink.
Ninety five percent of the time you get up, drink coffee, take a shower, get dressed drive to work, work, drive home or run an errand or two, watch TV or go online or work around the house, brush your teeth and go to bed.

How is it in Oklahoma?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,336,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ninety five percent of the time you get up, drink coffee, take a shower, get dressed drive to work, work, drive home or run an errand or two, watch TV or go online or work around the house, brush your teeth and go to bed.

How is it in Oklahoma?
Pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Is debt-free in OK the same as debt-free in CO, though? I doubt it...

Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving to Colorado in about 3-6 months for his job. What is it like living up there? We currently live in Oklahoma, so automatically we know that cost of living will go up. Fortunately for us we will be debt free very very soon, so that doesn't bother us. What I want to know is do you go to the mountains much? Is it easy to just pack up some stuff and go for a quick hike for the day/weekend? How welcome are dogs around there and in the mountains? I've heard some about local Colorodoans being protective of Colorado to transplants...is that true? Are the roads cleared off in the winter? I guess jsut tell me about your day to day lives. We love the outdoors, adn going to parks with our dogs and we like a little bit of nightlife...mostly jsut going to a bar and getting a drink.
When we first moved here, we went to the mtns a lot for camping, Sunday drives, picnics, etc. Then the kids came along. At first it was just too much hassle to pack half the house for a drive to the mtns. As they got older, they got involved in sports that took up a lot of time. We've just become "empty-nesters", so maybe it will start up again. Dogs are more than welcome here! "Love me, love my dog" certainly applies to Colorado. I don't want to get into the transplant thing. There are many threads on it on these forums. Do a search. Road clearing is a spotty thing. Most city streets in my city (Louisville) are not cleared, just the main roads. The same is true in many other cities in the metro area. Day to day life? To paraphrase Charles (with thanks to my brother for this phrase) eat, work, sleep.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Totally depends on what kind of couple you are.
My husband and I are empty nesters and, I am tons more active than him!
Didn't use to be that way,....my DH is in fantastic shape but, is sort of reclusive now ( this is not a bad thing as we have a home business and he is the brains of it). I have to talk him into leaving the house for various things (have to stuff!) but, I do believe he misses his active life!
I am a get up and go kind of gal. The mountains ( I can see the range out of my windows) call my name constantly!!LOL!! It's in my veins, so to speak. To me, there is nothing more beautiful and, I will enjoy them 'till my dying day. If I can shop one day with family/friends, or, take a jaunt to the hills....I will pick the HILLS everytime!! Unless it's Christmas but, that doesn't count!

I like to go to Breckenridge or Vail for lunch (just 'cuz I can). I do love the resort areas! I also love to go a few miles west and sit on the side of the banks of the Arkansas River and just get lost in thought! You know,...enjoy the scenery without a care in the world. It's these outings that make me feel more alive than just sitting in my home. I deserve it, I love it and, it is one of the reasons I continue to LIVE in Colorado.

I recently moved BACK to Colorado after living for a year on the beach in Florida. NEVER once did I feel this way staring out at the ocean and sand that were right out my door...NEVER!!

There is something about those peaks that touch the sky and, are majestic.

If you want to make time in your life to go and have fun,....you will.
If I could find time with 2 active boys ( into everything imaginable), then, you can and will do it!!
I was walking the beach everyday (usually several times),..snorkeling, scuba diving, hanging out with my Mom and Sister,...watching lobster diving competitions and my DH surfing, surf kayaking,..sea turtle laying and hatching out my back door, etc,....and NEVER once thought of anything but coming back to Colorado and the Mountains!!! I Swear this is true!!
Priorities are different for everyone...I just make MY fun time a MUST do part of my life!! WE ALL should!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,582,237 times
Quote:
What I want to know is do you go to the mountains much? Is it easy to just pack up some stuff and go for a quick hike for the day/weekend?

My wife has the same concerns for me. I'm 6 foot and used to weigh 190, but now i weigh 230. My new line of work isn't much active, but when I can i play sports and bike ride or swim, I don't like to exercise, but it's so hot down here I don't get in the mood to do much when i can, but I told her of the hikes and stuff to do in Colorado with nicer temps and humidity, but she thinks I still won't go. Did anyone start off strong then stop? I like the idea of going to the mountains on weekends or a sunday drive in the country.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Well, as I said previously, we don't do it nearly as often. I never really enjoyed skiing and eventually just gave up. Now my husband will go with our daughters some times. We never really were into hiking. The Sunday drive thing sort of dwindled out when the kids kept us so busy.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,396,143 times
People move to Colorado with the dream of wonderful mountain recreation (uncrowded, of course), getting out to hike or bike every day, living in socially wonderful communities, and escaping whatever unpleasantness they have experienced where they used to live. It's a great dream, but that is just what it is--a dream. The reality is usually a little (may be a lot) different. First, as anyone perusing of this forum will see, Colorado is no utopia. Nice, yes, but beset with many problems and challenges--most of which are growing, not shrinking. Second, the communities in Colorado are generally no better socially adjusted than anywhere else in the US--and often have their own unique problems and challenges. That should surprise no one. As to "enjoying" Colorado, like most everywhere else, most Coloradans only get the chance to do it infrequently. They are usually too busy working, raising a family, and trying to keep up with the quickly inflating costs of simply getting by. I'm a great example. I live about an hour from some of the most beautiful country in Colorado. How many times have I been up there in the last 3 months? Once--and that was on a business trip. (Of course, I'm lucky in this economy, I guess--I actually have people actively chasing me down to do work for them.) So, for most of we Coloradans, the enjoyment we get the most out of living in this state is just the day-to-day pleasures of seeing some mountains out of our window (if you're fortunate enough to have a view), experiencing Colorado's unique climate, and having the enjoyment of friends and family. I don't think there are that many unhappy people who move to Colorado thinking that they will find happiness there who actually do. Happiness is usually something that you carry with you, not something you "find."

Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,598,371 times
We go to the mountains every weekend in the summer, usually exploring different places to go off-roading and hiking. We go a lot in the winter, too, because we are skiiers. We are in our 60's and did this with our kids when they were growing up. I would imagine that if we were living in Oklahoma we would do the same thing (well, it would be hard to snow ski there). You don't change your habits automatically because you live in a different place. There are people who have lived here their whole life who never go into the mountains because they don't want to.

Truthfully, OP, I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine living somewhere that I have never been to. You should at least get in the car and drive here (we do share some borders) and check out whatever area your husband's job is in. It's a big and varied state. You at least have to figure out what city you will be near, then do some searching in the archives because all of the questions have already been asked.

Charles, I LOVE your response!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado