Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Young family seeking relocation advice, close to large city, considering Pueblo area, nearby lakes, safe and stimulating family environment, professional sports teams

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM

911 posts, read 2,146,710 times

Advertisements

(if u just want to skip to the question, skip the first 2 paragraphs! lol)

Well, me and my family are wanting to get out of this gawd-awful place we are in. Aaaand.. Milwaukee fell through, then we decided against a couple other ideas... Well, where we are isn't "bad", it's just a retirement community waaay in the boonies and we are a young family, bored and sick of no shopping, no culture, no activities, the list goes on...

Anyway, at this point we'd like to eventually move to Quebec. we are expecting to start the process sometime in 2010, then it'll take us probably a few years to save $, go through the paperwork, all the prep and french learning and money saving and we wanna visit a couple more times before the move, etc... lol passports are a pain in themselves! (Especially for 8 people)

We'd like to be able to enjoy our last years as U.S. residents lol

So there's the background.

We'd like to come be with you fine Colorad'ins for awhile!

HERE'S THE QUESTIONS! THANKS FOR HANGING IN THERE!

we're looking for a place close to a larger city, but not *in* a large city. the largest city we'd wanna live directly *in*, would be like 100,000 ppl and that's pushing it. 20,000-60,000 is ideal. We also want to live within 30 minutes to a lake fit to sail in. (yes, i know it's the desert, but I KNOW U GUYS HAVE LAKES!) we're not crazy about the plains, would at least like it foot-hilly. also, my Husband works in IT, so we need fast internet and within a 30 minute commute to work.

We were considering the Pueblo area for the Resevoir and job opportunities. Would this be a good choice? We have a large, young family and we want it to be safe and stimulating!

On the other hand, we'd kinda like to be closer to Denver b/c my son is super-into children's theater and i don't know if Pueblo really has much to offer in that area.. plus there's nearby professional sports teams, etc.. Also, there's a church i really like in Littleton. There's alot of other benefits too of course. but are there any lakes nearby? is it as affordable as Pueblo somewhere around there?

What do you guys think would be a good fit for us??? Any other ideas?

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,967,596 times
Wink Vermont?

Not really conversant with Denver, CO, but suppose Littleton, CO would be fine. Anywhere around there will certainly be different from Pueblo, CO in climate and culture. You'll have to decide if you want to be in the mountains or just near them. In this regard Pueblo is a bit of a stretch. Such places as Genesee and Morrison are within the mountains to an extent, with ready access to both greater Denver and also a direct route into mountains proper via I-70.

Dillon lake, adjacent to Dillon, CO would provide beautiful mountain sailing, although this about a hour from Denver under good conditions. Genesee would put you a bit closer.

Did wonder though, if Quebec your desired destination, why a location such as Burlington, VT wouldn't make more sense? Lake Champlain is gorgeous, Burlington about the right size and charming, and the proximity to Montreal, Quebec might facilitate your moving there all the sooner.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Idunn~

we looked into it but to be honest, we just don't really like it in NE U.S. Quebec is vastly different in so many ways! also, before we go through all that business of moving out of the country, it'd be nice to try a place here that we might just like. we don't wanna be stuck somewhere for like 4 years that we're not going to be happy with. we've been stuck here for 8, and we just wanna go where we want to at this point

Even though technically it would make it much easier on us if we went up there to ME or NY or even VT..... we just don't really wanna. we're pretty sure that we'll enjoy life alot more in CO for the remainder of our stay in the U.S. plus this is the only place in the U.S. that me and DH agrees on lol

We're open to the idea of changing our plans if we are content in CO. Although, with the sailing in QC, i just don't know lol

BUT HEY,

Idaho Springs is about 40 min from denver, and about the same distance to Dillon Resevoir... i stayed there for a short time as a teen but i don't have a real clear picture.

I'll look up Genessee on the map

Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Wink Idaho Springs & others

Idaho Springs, CO is an old mining town. As such it is somewhat quaint with more than a few instances of old brick Victorian buildings. Kind of charming in a somewhat rustic and not always pristine way. It remains a relatively small town.

I haven't spent a lot of time within town so can't say as to the ambience or how you might otherwise might like it. Although in the mountains, at a relatively low elevation compared to some place such as Frisco, CO.

Depending on your point of view possibly the best or worst thing about Idaho Springs is I-70. The town resides in a narrow canyon and the State saw fit to jam I-70 along the side of it. All of which provides a wonderful view of Idaho Springs as one passes, but if a resident I would hate it.

Such a place as Silver Plume, CO, a bit further along and higher up this road, is also more or less bisected by I-70. Pity as it appears otherwise a perfectly quaint little town in a beautiful location.

Since Idaho Springs places you just that much further into the mountains, easier access to them and a bit more of a drive to Denver, CO. I think I-70 offers great scenery all the way from Denver to Glenwood Springs, CO. Also very good access to all points between. The only real problem, other than possibly dealing with its noise, is occasionally heavy traffic. This would be a definite consideration if you commuted or otherwise had to be on the highway at certain times. Usually the traffic is perfectly fine, but areas between Denver and Summit County can become a near parking lot during certain hours of busy weekends or holidays.

Since you're interested in Idaho Springs, you might as well Empire, CO. Just a bit further up I-70, with good access to this highway, but far enough removed that you would never know it was there. Empire is a small place, which may be its charm or not, and serious shopping or activities would require a drive somewhere else.

And since I'm on a roll, maybe Georgetown, CO as well.

But maybe what you have in mind, without knowing it, is within Summit County. There you would definitely be making a commitment to a mountain lifestyle. In many respects a lovely place to live, if one can afford it. I mention this in part because collectively the towns within Summit County offer a surprising number of amenities. Not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if the budding thespian could even find just the right role there.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,949,443 times
famlife....I hope you can speak French, because not many Quebecois will speak English with you, even if they can speak English fluently. This is especially the case in the rural areas. Quebec is a beautiful province, but it would be tough to live there without speaking fluent French. You might also consider New Brunswick which is another very beautiful province. Since it is a bi-lingual province you can get along in New Brunswick speaking French or English. Nova Scotia is another possibility. It is mostly an English speaking province, with a milder climate than Quebec, New Brunswick, Vermont, or Maine.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-17-2008 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
famlife: You asked if there were any areas near Denver as affordable as Pueblo. The short answer is "no". There may be those who will come on here and tell you that you can find a house in the Denver suburbs that is as inexpensive as those in Pueblo, but on average, Denver and its burbs are more expensive. The mountains are even more expensive than metro Denver, again, on average. There are no cities of 20,000 people in the mountains. Evergreen and Steamboat Springs are about the largest at just under 10,000. Both have lakes. Both are expensive.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:55 PM

huuuuh. well maybe we should look more into pueblo.. it does have a children's theater, although not as impressive as one in Denver. but maybe the lower housing costs and less traffic would make a worthwhile compromise. we'll have to check it out. i think maybe towards the end of August we could come out for a week or so and check these areas out. maybe spend a few nights in denver, then a couple in pueblo, and check out these surrounding areas.

Idunn, thanks for the heads-up on those towns. I'll google map those, and maybe make them sight-seeing destinations on our trip!

Red, thanks for the info on those areas of Canada we're pretty set on Quebec since its closer to family, but I wouldn't mind getting to know "the neighborhood"

Katiana, My husband has mentioned Steamboat springs, cause his friend is moving there, but yeah it seem expensive, plus it doesn't really seem to convenient for what we are expecting.
Thanks for the honest input on Pueblo vs. Denver... I love the looks of Pueblo (from the internet), but haven't been there. Denver looks like any decent bigger city to me, so Pueblo has more charm IMO kinda New Mexico-ish... i have a weakness for adobe and it has something of a zoo. I wonder how Pueblo's health care is though..

I suppose we can take daytrips to the mtns and i wont have a freak-out attack trying to drive on the snow and ice :P

Old 07-17-2008, 04:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
. I wonder how Pueblo's health care is though..

I suppose we can take daytrips to the mtns and i wont have a freak-out attack trying to drive on the snow and ice :P
Re: health care in Pueblo, I don't think you'd have a problem unless you have a very unusual condition or disease.

Re: ice and snow driving, it won't be a problem for a few months. It can and does snow in every month of the year in the mtns, but in the summer it's not enough to even stick on the ground, usually. By early fall you may get a snowstorm that causes the snow to stick on the ground. They are pretty good about keeping I-70 cleared. (They being CDOT.)

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Wink Off the reservation

Since you mentioned New Mexico, how about living there? It can be a wonderful place, and certainly different.

Specifically, maybe some place such as Cochiti Lake. Access is via I-25 a short distance south of Santa Fe, NM, then by either NM 16 or 22. Although closer to Santa Fe, it is vaguely equidistant from Santa Fe and Albuquerque, NM. A fairly easy drive to either town, and the distance from Santa Fe to Albuquerque about an hour.

The primary reason I mention this place is due the reservoir, and a rather pleasant setting, if not exactly in the mountains. Although as the crow flies but a short distance from Bandelier National Monument. It seems a small retirement village of sorts, a quiet suburb, but that just my brief impression. So maybe too small and quiet for you, or too remote. But a plus may be fairly ready access to all the attractions of Santa Fe without the sky high prices. Or for that matter fairly good access into Albuquerque when you want the largest New Mexico has to offer.

Of course maybe you're more attuned to Colorado, and that's fine. But if any interest at the possibility, an excursion of sorts through the Land of Enchantment might be well worth it. Lots of adobe, too.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM

yes if we have time i would LOOOVE to go to NM... i've just heard/read that the crime is really bad there and the pay is really low. plus i think CO has more lakes than NM. we figured if we're living in CO, we could definitely vacation in NM

however, it's worth looking into!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado