Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,886,108 times

Advertisements

It is not mountainous in Denver or Colorado Springs. It's high plains, it's easy to drive and having lived in Lousiana, not that big of a stretch just cooler and really not that much snow at all.

You want snow, move to Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 45,048 times
I moved here from Georgia. Not sure if this was due to altitude or me being so used to humidity (or a combo), but I just felt "dried out" for about 2 weeks (chapped lips, kept having to put lotion on, constantly drinking water) and then I was totally fine. No biggie at all.

Jobs are easier to find around Denver/Boulder than in the mountains. I don't know how the construction job market is for new hires, but I certainly see plenty of construction around (I live in Boulder).

Winter driving isn't a big issue on the front range. It's relatively flat, and we get so much sun that the snow isn't on the road for long. My little '96 Honda Accord does quite well, even without winter tires. Of course I plan to trade it in for a Subaru before I move into the actual mountains next year...

The summers are hot, but not like Florida... When you step into the shade, you can actually feel the difference. And your sweat even evaporates sometimes

Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,470,526 times
I go to Colorado quite a few times, so maybe I can help with the altitude thing...
Being from Orlando I have no problems at all in Denver or Colorado Springs. That being said....once I get to Gunnison again no problem....Crested Butte is a whole different ballgame. Where here I have no problem walking a couple a miles a day even when it feels like an oven, the 1st week there I have trouble with a block and a half.
By the end of the 1st week it gets better.
Whatever you do don't rush it. Take the time to get used to it.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM

226 posts, read 1,216,415 times
i moved here from florida. the altitude had no noticeable effect on me. the dryness, on the other hand, took some getting used to. after a week or so in colorado, the skin on my knuckles was starting to crack and bleed. eventually, i got a skin infection from having open wounds all the time. you MUST use lotion out here. i lather my hands in lotion after every hand washing, otherwise the skin gets irritated. i also use chapstick all the time and use a moisturizing body wash.

the other thing that took a lot of getting used to (actually i still haven't gotten used to it after living here for several years) was the landscape. it is pretty barren out here in denver compared to florida. this is a desert climate and everything is brown and yellow, compared to the bright green, lush vegetation of florida. there's a little more greenery in the mountain areas.

the winter cold isn't a lot of fun either. driving on snow will take some getting used to. winter is my least favorite season.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM

169 posts, read 670,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
i moved here from florida. the altitude had no noticeable effect on me. the dryness, on the other hand, took some getting used to. after a week or so in colorado, the skin on my knuckles was starting to crack and bleed. eventually, i got a skin infection from having open wounds all the time. you MUST use lotion out here. i lather my hands in lotion after every hand washing, otherwise the skin gets irritated. i also use chapstick all the time and use a moisturizing body wash.

the other thing that took a lot of getting used to (actually i still haven't gotten used to it after living here for several years) was the landscape. it is pretty barren out here in denver compared to florida. this is a desert climate and everything is brown and yellow, compared to the bright green, lush vegetation of florida. there's a little more greenery in the mountain areas.

the winter cold isn't a lot of fun either. driving on snow will take some getting used to. winter is my least favorite season.
I think the thing to remember is that it will affect everyone a little differently and this is not really dependent on where you are from (IMO). For me, it was (is) no where near as bad as ".gif" describes. I am originally from southern Louisiana (New Orleans area - humidity central) and had no real problems with the altitude or dryness after the first month or so. I am not lathering on the lotion or anything - maybe I am just lucky. I really think it will affect each person differently.

Also if you are living on the so called "Front Range" (I am in Fort Collins myself), driving in the winter is really not a big deal. I would say you should take the same precautions you would take driving in the rain as you do in the snow. The roads are cleared out pretty quickly around here so it is not a big deal.

BTW I actually like the winters here. In many ways much easier on the body than the humid winters of the gulf south region. Now that I can actually expereince 4 seasons I find myself appreciating each season AND wishing for the next one to come For instance, usually sometime in late August I am more than ready for Fall/Winter. Same thing goes for the Winter/Spring transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado