Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times

Advertisements

I live on top of a hill in Louisville. I have literally seen the rain turn to snow as I drive up the hill. As for the "urban heat island", my spouse and I experienced that on the 4th of July. We went to the fireworks at the local golf course, and it was quite cool there, even a bit chilly. As we walked back to our car on the sidewalk in a residential-commercial area, it felt much warmer. As a side note to that, I guess that grass offers some cooling effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Jazz points out the difference in elevation which is informative and he points out the wonderful phenom of bluegrass, but what about irrigated farming on a larger scale, such as what's found along the Ark Valley and perhaps around Greeley and from Longmont to Ft. Collins? I'm talking about humidity now.

Pueblo can be and is usually a bit hotter than Denver, but not by much if at all. Denver tipped the 3-digit scale yesterday and Pueblo was MUCH cooler at 98° F. But we're coming into the late July early August period, so... if the Arizona Monsoons continue to affect the Pueblo area, maybe Denver will remain hotter. We'll see. But the state highs usually go to either Grand Junction or Lamar on any given day, with Lamar being one hot/muggy place in the summer. People from Lamar notice their temps being a good 8° to 10° warmer than Pueblo, and if the farmers are irrigating heavily (not the Kentucky Bluegrass either Jazz), then they have some humidity to go with that heat.

Now those same folks from the Lamar/lower Ark Valley will say, "Boy, you think it's hot here, you ought to got down to Grenada or Holly! It's brutal down there!"

I like MSN as my homepage as I can get to my msn/hotmail account from there and it has a weather section where I can put 4 zip codes into it and have the weather for the Pueblo, Colorado City, Colorado Springs, and Denver areas up all at once for comparison. Unlike Underground, I don't have to see popups of "singles" in my "hometown". For example, if I'm on my work computer it thinks I live in Colorado City and it will show me hot skanks-er-single ladies in my area. I know about everybody in these parts and have never seen these "ladies" anywhere. What's the dealio Underground?

As EscapeCalifornia points out, the heat/island effect is more prevalent in parts of the Denver Metro area due to the asphalt and concrete than a place like Pueblo because Pueblo DOES cool down more at night. Even more so than Colorado Springs. But I'm sure the latter is the case because of its high prarie/desert type climate.
No doubt, irrigation of crops raises humidity. But, at least that produces something of tangible value--food. (I happen to rather addicted to eating, and I would take considerable comfort in the energy-starved era ahead if more food was grown close to home in Colorado.)

As you point out, the Southwest Monsoon does affect southern Colorado from usually mid-July through most of August. Quite often though, that moisture and the cooling rains it can provide don't make it over the Palmer Divide. Thus, Pueblo and Colorado Springs get some afternoon cooling from showers, and Denver may not.

I still like Wunderground, and my spam blocker usually filters out the "skank dot com" pop-ups.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 AM

17,878 posts, read 27,274,926 times
I checked it out today and it's improved from what it used to be. The biggest offender-er-sponsor still appears to be classmates.com.

To compare just Denver and Colorado Springs, I'd say that as a whole it gets more snow in the winter and it gets hotter in the summer.

Either way, another fabulously wonderful Colorado weather thread. Give me more.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,888,280 times
Denver does get more snow that C Springs on average. It's that pesky Palmer Divide that shelters us a lot of the time.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:23 PM

17,878 posts, read 27,274,926 times
Ha! See you're like me and you're envious of the snow! We're natives (just read today that this means 25+ winters here).

I live where it doesn't snow enough but I drive into Rye for work, so Rye beats Denver once in a while.

Denver be warm today I'll bet.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ha! See you're like me and you're envious of the snow! We're natives (just read today that this means 25+ winters here).

I live where it doesn't snow enough but I drive into Rye for work, so Rye beats Denver once in a while.

Denver be warm today I'll bet.
I guess that makes me a native, 28 winters and counting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado