U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,409 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into moving to the central Front Range area, the small towns east of 25, along 85, like Johnstown, Frederick,etc. The various city websites seem quite informative, but am looking for some feedback from people who live and work in these areas. I currently live in Maine, so a few of the things I'm looking forward to are: less mosquitoes! less humidity! shorter winters! More options for affordable housing and hopefully make better money. Any info/input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,385 posts, read 39,704,721 times
probably better post this on Colo forum. FC folks are not too keen, or usually too knowledgeable of the rural areas along 85.
You might title your post "hwy 85 proximity - small town wanted - FT Lupton to Ault"
Generally these are previous ag based towns turned suburbia in some cases. I'm sure there have been a lot of growing pains that locals can assist with. There is usually much higher concentration of Hispanics. The first generation immigrants were hard working, grateful for opportunities, and congenial. There has been an erosion with subsequent generations, and often can lead to gangs and violence from malcontent 'entitlement' folks of any race. Do your homework. I would expect there are friendly, safe, and affordable areas in each of the towns. The energy prices will curtail the 'commuters' so I would expect prices to adjust lower as proximity to high paying urban jobs increases. Thus the further from Denver metro, the better. Due to 'e-savvy demographics' you will find much on-line content (advertising and discussion) to revolve around the 'subdivisions' that reach for miles across these previous farmlands. You will need to explore the local newspapers to get a feel for the core community.

Depending on where you are in Maine, you will find CO with better weather, and better taxes and more jobs (but a long way from the beach). It is much better place to run a business than Maine, from a financial perspective. The competition for good paying jobs id rough, as CO is desirable location to live, thus employers get to be picky and pay less. There are plenty of good jobs, I would probably look to employment in schools or university for stability and income and quality of employment. There are also some high tech positions, but lots of ex-HP, IBM, Storage Tech, Agilent, Kodak workers who have been 'downsized', still looking for work.

You can usually get cheap flights to Manchester,NH. LA, or Portland, OR if you want a taste of the beach.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,239,565 times
I am moving this thread to the Colorado forum, I think you will get a bigger response there.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM

38 posts, read 190,064 times
I live in Frederick and think it's great. Frederick and Firestone are practically the same town and I highly recommend both of them. We have two major grocery stores with Starbucks in them. I live right by a lake which is nice to run and bike around. I'm not into fishing but you can do that there too. I also live right next to two golf courses - one is Saddleback which is a nice 18 hole course and the other is a small 9 Hole course in Frederick called Bella Rosa. They just redid Bella Rosa two years ago so it's practially brand new. It's small but nice.

The houses they are building behind my house are AWESOME and I really want to move into one. You can buy a 2800 square foot house for $307,00 base. Things like 3 car garages, granite counters, full basements, fireplaces, etc are standard too! They build the same ones in Johnstown. There are actually a lot of nice homes being built out here.

I would recommend Firestone/Frederick over Johnstown only because we have more shops and big grocery stores. They have a smaller grocery store in Johnstown but it closes at 9 pm and you have to either drive 15 min. to Loveland or 15 min. to Firestone to go to a store during off hours. We have a Walgreens, pizza places, Subway,and American Furniture Warehouse just opened. There are all kinds of fast food places nearby and we have a few small local restaurants. We have a Hardware store, auto parts stores, a greenhouse, coffee shops, chiropractors, dentists, dance studios, a nice rec center and a brand new library. Home Depot was supposed to build here but I think this whole housing slump has brought that project to a stand still. They started to prep the land and I thought it was supposed to open this fall but they aren't working on it anymore.

The great thing about this area is that it is close to EVERYTHING! You're 20 min from the Northern suburbs of Denver where there's Home Depot, Lowes, Super Target, Super Wal-Mart, the Orchard Shopping Center, Larkridge Shopping Center, etc. You're also 20 minutes from Longmont which also has tons of shopping and you're about 20 min. from Loveland as well which has a great new mall.

The only thing I don't love is sometimes when I just want to go to Target I have to drive 40 min. round trip to do so. My hubby grew up in a big city and he said he lived fairly close to a Target but it took him 20 min to get there because traffic was so bad. I miss living close to stuff like that, especially with gas costing nearly $4 a gallon. You may want to move closer to your job! I work 35 min. south and my hubby works 45 min. north so we live in the middle but we both wish we could work closer to home.

It's nice living out here because there's not a lot of traffic. It's nice to leave Denver after work and come home to peace and quiet. There are tons of new neighborhoods around here and houses area really cheap right now. I know you didn't mention Ft. Lupton or Ault but those are definitely more rural areas the previous poster mentioned. If that's what you're looking for they're fine but if you're looking for a few more amenities in a town but still a slightly rural feel I'd look in F/F. It seems this area is a huge draw for young married couples and families. We've been here for 5 years and moved here when we got married at 26. You get more land for less money and that's very appealing. The area was growing quite nicely until the foreclosure crisis started. I have a feeling it will grow much more once the economy starts improving. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado