Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM

835 posts, read 2,846,633 times

Advertisements

getting started would be easiest in denver area good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 PM

355 posts, read 1,399,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgoNative View Post
You guys sound like a bunch of old people! These guys are young, let them go and be adventurous. I moved across the country twice (both ends) with neither money saved or having toured the place prior, and I was fine. If it doesn't work out, oh well; they always have their hometown. Let's try and encourage them to finally move out of the place they never left rather than scare the crap out of them.
exactly!!! same here i was 21 when i moved 2000 miles from anyone i knew.....im doin just fine......dont think u can get by long without a job but if you want **** to work that badly it will work

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,130 times
ok well this is helping me plenty, i appreciate all the feedback. Some of you are worrying me but i think my mom might agree! I see at as an adventure though, and I couldnt be more thrilled about it. At this point I have already made up my mind to move out there, it is just where and when, its hard to know where to start. We are both biology majors, and the job market in MN for that area is terrible. I chose a clinic because it was an easy job to land, with not a lot of experience, but im not tied down to it or anything...

so more opinions about arvada or golden? seems to be brought up a couple times, and my buddy Forumride420 seems to be pretty solid about his move out there. How long is your commute to both the hills and the city things you might need? I know nothing about your winters out there either, how much does this affect driving out to the mtns?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Travel, etc.

Whether in Arvada, CO or the mountains, you will be driving in snow at times in the winter. Less of it if along the Front Range. Golden, CO is growing and should have most of the services you might want nearby. Arvada certainly would.

Either Arvada or Golden well situated for ready access via I-70 into the mountains. It is a good highway and usually an easy drive in moderate traffic. From Arvada, in good conditions, the drive to Silverthorne, CO, in Summit County, a bit less than an hour. They have a series of large traffic signs along I-70 in the mountains that provide the expected travel time to selected spots.

This is because at certain times the travel on I-70 is anything but easy. Certain specific times on busy weekends, such as eastbound late Sunday afternoon, and holidays will result with I-70 a near parking lot along certain sections. Then there is winter. You'll see it on the local news: when I-70 is closed for hours at a time in one direction or both for long stretches. The cause at times unduly inclement weather, more often some bad driver or other. However it seems they are becoming ever more prone to close this interstate on little more than a whim, fearing the worst.

In short, if you only intend to venture into the mountains on occasion via I-70, no problem. On a regular basis, you might want to reconsider. Or look at it this way, if a storm comes or the interstate otherwise closes, where would you rather view this from, Breckenridge, CO or Golden?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 PM

447 posts, read 1,600,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Or look at it this way, if a storm comes or the interstate otherwise closes, where would you rather view this from, Breckenridge, CO or Golden?
Breck/Summit County all the way!!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM

355 posts, read 1,399,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbies View Post

How long is your commute to both the hills and the city things you might need? I know nothing about your winters out there either, how much does this affect driving out to the mtns?
from Arvada i can be in downtown in about 15mins and in the foot hills in about 15 mins.....closest resort is about 45-50mins on a good day.......storms can make the drive rough going up the mountains but if you go slow and take your time you should be ok in atleast a front wheel drive.....watch the news or check the cdot website because they will update you with road conditions or any closure along with some web cams

Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 PM

447 posts, read 1,600,964 times
Oh, and I forgot to mention.........My move here was my first major move. I moved 1,525 miles away from home, by myself and didn't know a single person in Colorado, all to chase my dream......You can do it, if it is really what you want.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
break, I made several moves like yours, with less than 100 bucks in my pocket. Surely it can be done. We've both proven that, but it's not easy. Most people are not willing to take a big risk like that. Either fear or common sense will hold them back. Those who are willing can increase their chance for success by knowing ahead of time that it is likely to be a major challenge. Having a cash reserve greatly increases the chances of making a successful move becasue you can check out more places....in person, to find one that really fits.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I agree with NewAgeRedneck. Over and over again, we tell teachers, engineers, nurses, etc, to have the job lined up or at least some serious leads to follow AND money saved. Two 24 yr old biology majors should not be moving out here, sight unseen, with no job possibilities at all. There is not a huge job market for bio majors anywhere. Most get an advanced degree or a professional degree e.g. Physical Therapy, PA, etc in order to find a job. So these folks have a lot of obstacles to overcome. They need to know that.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
I also moved out here 1500 miles from the east, with no help, and very little money saved.

I did already have a job lined up though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado