Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,751,372 times

Advertisements

I heard on the Neal Bortz radio show that GJ was having a major oil drilling boom and hiring people was in great demand everywhere. Is this true and why isn't anyone taking about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,106,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I heard on the Neal Bortz radio show that GJ was having a major oil drilling boom and hiring people was in great demand everywhere. Is this true and why isn't anyone taking about it?
Probably because entry level work is HARD. Expect to work 80+ hour weeks, in the harshest conditions.

I think with of crazy Governor Ritter trying to slow down exploration, that it might have an effect on future jobs.

I'm still trying to figure out how less exploration is going to lead to lower energy prices? This is the typical MO from our liberal environmentalists in Government.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,032,955 times
GJ sure has changed in the past few years. Prices of housing has gone up, although at the moment there seems to be a lot of For Sale signs all over the valley. Apartments are scarce, but there are a lot of houses for rent/sale.

The effects are being felt more in the Rifle, CO area. Good luck finding a place to live there, even hotels are full of energy workers.

There are a lot of jobs here. They even have job fairs. I have one more year of college here, getting a BS in geology/GIS and I expect to score a pretty sweet job (at least for a while).

Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM

19 posts, read 75,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Probably because entry level work is HARD. Expect to work 80+ hour weeks, in the harshest conditions.

I think with of crazy Governor Ritter trying to slow down exploration, that it might have an effect on future jobs.

I'm still trying to figure out how less exploration is going to lead to lower energy prices? This is the typical MO from our liberal environmentalists in Government.

You find a lot of this type of ignorance here. There has been a lot of drilling for several years now and the politicians love the tax revenue. Motoracer is right about working many hours in tough conditions, many companies are desperate for workers. What Motoracer is wrong about is more drilling leading to lower gas prices, under his guys bush/cheney, they've drilled the heck out of the west and natural gas prices have gone up at least 5 times in the past several years (excel customers will agree) and the price of gas has skyrocketed. Like T. Boone Pickens says "we can't drill ourselves out of this mess". Moto and people like him think we can drill every place in the US that has oil and it'll be ok, they don't realize the worldwide demand for oil and the fact that most prominent geologists agree that production has peaked and has fallen for several years. Supply and demand, the supply isn't there (others have said drilling off the Florida coast would only yield about 6 months supply of current US consumption, Bush himself said it would have more of a "psychological" effect, you know, at least we're doing something) worldwide demand for oil is insatiable. Research, learn, educate yourself and make your own determination about who is right, otherwise you look like a myopic doofus telling untruths.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:25 PM

26,121 posts, read 48,732,001 times
Low natural gas prices are leading to a downturn in drilling, and a shutdown of some drill rigs. Not sure if Colorado will be impacted at all or to what degree. Be sure to click on the word "graphic" to see the charts that go with this.

Story: Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

Excerpt(s):

- Energy companies probably will slash onshore U.S. gas drilling to 800 or 900 rigs this year from a peak of 1,606 in 2008 after prices for the fuel plunged 70 percent from their 2008 high...

- U.S. production of natural gas, the most widely used furnace fuel in the world’s largest economy, may tumble through 2012 as low prices prompt producers to shut down drilling rigs from Louisiana to the Rocky Mountains.

Key word in the second quote is "may" as these are only guesses, even by the experts in the business.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,065,169 times
We know there will be more demands for jobs or/ more places available for sale or rent very soon (think about May 31st) since, they are CLOSING the Rifle Prison!!!!!!!!!!! HUGE impact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,683,148 times
Good post Mike. Things ARE slowing down here. From my view, most of the companies are cutting back at least 25%, maybe more. On tonight's local news, channel 11 had a story about the meeting with the State and the folks from Rifle had, uh, a pretty spirited meeting about the prison closure. Closing it is now not a done deal. I will be watching this closely.

The unemployment offices have been BUSY for the first time in years. IMO things will be flat around here for a while.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,065,169 times
Yep, you are correct!! Rifle Prison is staying, TG!!
They are still closing the Women's Prison here in Canon City but, Rifle stays!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado