Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,969,528 times

Advertisements

Forgot to mention that come Labor Day it is highly unlikely you will experience snowfall. The closest you will likely come to it are remaining patches on the highest peaks. While it can snow any time of year at higher altitudes, rare, and any storm that time of year no more than the briefest dusting.

Rocky Mountain National Park is open year round, although they do close the higher portion of Trail Ridge Road come winter proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 AM

331 posts, read 1,541,922 times
Big thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Some very valuable stuff for this flatcracker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
For mountains, Estes Park, CO hands down. It enjoys a gorgeous setting and abuts Rocky Mountain National Park. You cannot get better access to the Park than this, even if there are different trailheads, such as near Allenspark, CO or Grand Lake, CO.

But if by 'essence' you mean natural beauty you would be hard pressed to do better than Estes Park and RMNP. You surely would, but Trail Ridge Road across the Park to Grand Lake makes for a very memorable drive. It is also the highest continuous road in the lower 48. Peak elevation of this road is 12,183 feet.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm hoping to see - the wild, raw beauty of the mountains, the one that's often depicted on Colorado postcards and calendars. In all the guidebooks Estes Park was listed as one of the easiest access points to the park, so I thought about picking it for lodging. Thank you for all the sightseeing advice in your post!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM

17,930 posts, read 27,342,617 times
If you stay up there, you're gonna have to put up with all those pesky elk at your cabin door that you're not supposed to feed!

Well really, you shouldn't. Wreckage from our past. Oh, and the Stanley is overrated to stay at, except maybe for rm 222. Worth a visit perhaps.

Don't forget to look at Long's Peak. It's hard to miss.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM

269 posts, read 1,264,750 times
One more vote for Estes Park & RMNP!
COS and the surrounding areas do feel more touristy to me. Esp. the Royal Gorge area and the cog ride up Pikes Peak. Estes can be touristy too, but hey, you can escape into Rocky Mountain NP at least!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

17,930 posts, read 27,342,617 times
I kinda like the Royal Gorge and Buckskin Joes. Still want to do the cog rail even if it's touristy. How about the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo? Got your walkin' shoes on?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
The elk may be bugling at RMNP by then, and some of the Aspen way high up may be changing. But really, it will still be mostly summer (though it can get cool in Estes in Sept). Bring some warm clothes.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 PM

801 posts, read 2,206,514 times
outsider1...I think it strongly depends on what you like to do when you vacation. Personally, I love hiking and running on mountain trails, and bicycling. For that reason, I usually go to Estes Park and put my camper at the campground at the very end of Tunnel Road. It's a very quiet area adjacent to RMNP, yet the restaurants and shops of Estes Park are a short drive away if I decide I want to participate in that kind of thing. If your idea of a visit has more to do with driving around and site seeing, you can see a lot in either region.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 43,158 times
We have stay in both Colo Springs (a couple of years ago) and Estes Park (a couple of months ago) and enjoyed both.

There are more "things to see and do" in the Springs. but with the mountains seeming to be a big part of your interest I would also recommend Estes Park. The town iteslf is really nothing more than a tourist trap, but it absolutely is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 PM

25 posts, read 80,708 times
I spent sveral months in estes and loved every second of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado