U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM

10,677 posts, read 28,491,129 times

Advertisements

Competing with the builder and higher taxes then the rest of the area will certainly give pause to a few folks. But, if you are planning on staying a while and "win goin' in" you always smell rosy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
The western Broomfield schools are in the Boulder Valley School District. The schools east of Sheridan are in several districts, mostly Adams Co 12, I think. This somewhat odd arrangement is because when Broomfield became a city/county several years back, ca 2000, the school districts remained the same. Western Broomfield used to be in Boulder County. The didviding line was Sheridan Blvd. FWIW

Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
My family relocated to Colorado last year after a short time on the east coast (DC area). We chose Castle Rock because it is an easy commute to the Tech Center and Northern CO Springs. Although currently renting, we are in negotiations to purchase in the Meadows. The Meadows can be pricey, depending on where you lived previously; although, for those who have lived on the coasts, it might seem quite reasonable.

The Meadows has good schools, albeit far over-capacity. Thankfully, there are plans to build more elementary schools to keep up with the population explosion. Soaring Hawk, in particular, is quite a bit beyond capacity and is using at least six portable classrooms. That said, the children appear well-behaved and the administration seems to have a handle on the potential chaos. There is only one middle school at present, and it is extremely crowded. Construction is underway for another one that should take some of the pressure off.

Richmond American in the predominant builder and the most affordable of the lot. If you plan to purchase a new house, bargain hard. Builders are hurting and willing to compromise. The houses tend to be on smaller lots than Founders Village & Castlewood Ranch, which are on the east side of I-25. Water is an issue here, so the small lots may come in handy during drought periods. We spent a fortune watering our backyard last summer, only to see the water evaporate before it hit the ground.

To make up for the small yards, the Meadows has many parks and walking paths. The Grange (outdoor pool) is very nice and the playground next-door to it is one of my kindergartener's favorite places. In fact, the access to community amenities is something that attracted us when we began looking to buy.

My perception, after almost a year of living here, is that the Meadows is a distinctly homogeneous community, mostly made up of young (early to mid-30's), white professionals with children. You won't find a lot of diversity here, and the population is overwhelmingly Evangelical Christian. Interestingly, there is also a very strong Mormon community. Politics? Definitely conservative. So, keep that in mind, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum.

The small town is cute and full of nice shops, including a number of antique stores. Restaurants run the gamut. I particularly like Yolanda's, which serves fish tacos. (As a former Californian, I can't go more than a few days without great Mexican food.) There is also a fairly good sushi place and French creperie (where they also serve burritos, believe it or not!).

The Miller library, which is on the south end of town, is wonderful! And, that's a good thing, because the best big bookstore (Tattered Cover) is a hefty drive away in Highlands Ranch, although I would be remiss if didn't mention the small, privately-owned bookstore in town.

The Meadows is hurting for a community grocery store, but with the new Town Center in the works, hopefully they will have a King Soopers or Safeway soon. You're out of luck if you like to shop Whole Foods. Like the bookstore, it's also in Highlands Ranch. Castle Rock's easily-accessible north end of town has Target, Home Depot, Office Max, Walmart, Petsmart, King Soopers (Kroger), and a plethora of fast food restaurants. Chick-fil-A is a popular hang-out for the MOPS crowd because of the indoor play area. If you have teenagers, that part of town also has an outdoor skate park. And, down the way is the Rec Center with an amazing indoor leisure pool!

Law enforcement is very visible in Castle Rock and crime is generally not a problem here, especially not in the Meadows. The City & County Offices (Castle Rock is the Douglas County seat.) are staffed with exceptionally friendly & helpful people. That was a nice change of pace from the east coast.

Overall, I give Castle Rock a thumbs up. It's not particularly sophisticated, but it's a nice place to live and raise a family. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,272 times
Default broomfield...

Just bought a house in Red Leaf - Broomfield. At first, we wanted to be in the Boulder Valley district as well, but then we met a few people whose children attend Legacy High School - Adams Five Star - and it seems great. Also, we wanted to stay closer to Boulder - and farther from the multitudes of Evangelicals south of Denver - in areas like Castle Rock. Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele2714 View Post
Also, we wanted to stay closer to Boulder - and farther from the multitudes of Evangelicals south of Denver - in areas like Castle Rock.
As a proud Democrat, I find that I am having a hard time fitting in with the "Focus on the Family" crowd. I had no idea when we moved here that Castle Rock was part of the bible belt. To be honest, I feel very out of place here, and I don't know if I will ever be able to develop real friendships, since I am always biting my tongue in conversations.

The thing is, I am a Christian (of the Lutheran/Episcopal variety), but I tend to be more progressive in my interpretation of scripture than the typical mega-church member in the south metro area. Fortunately, my husband and I have finally found a slightly quirky, small Episcopal parish in downtown Castle Rock that welcomed us with open arms. We are very happy there, but it was a l-o-n-g & frustrating search.

I wish we could live in the Boulder area, but my husband commutes between CO Springs and the DTC, so it's not possible.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:00 AM

643 posts, read 2,165,592 times
I myself am worried about fitting in and finding a middle of the road community. I would like to be in Manitou but am also looking into Palmer Lake and Castle Rock. I keep wondering if my version of middle of the road is even close to someone elses version there. I know Portland is too liberal for me but I dont want to go the total other way either.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:33 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Broomfield is a very old suburb. Lots of different types of housing of many different ages. Broomfield High (BVSD) is to be completely renovated in the coming years, thanks to passage of a bond issue last fall. I think Broomfield has a great sense of community. It has a good library, a civic auditorium for concerts and a nice park system. I do not think it is a "typical suburb" if you are referring to a place with rows and rows of cookie-cutter houses and not much else. We live in the BVSD and my kids did high school gymnastics at BHS, so I go to know a lot of people there.

Caveat: Not all of Broomfield is in BVSD. You can open-enroll from another district, but you will be given low priority.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 42,768 times
I live in Broomfield as well. I recently moved here (about 9 months ago) from Denver (and Maine before that). Out of all the places you mentioned, Broomfield has the best price for what you get. Broomfield is in the $200k - $400k, generally. If you live in Broomfield, I'd suggest having a job in northern Denver (not the tech center), Broomfield, Boulder, etc. The drive to Southern Denver is pretty long in the morning (although nothing like LA, Boston, NY, or DC). It might take you 45 minutes to get through downtown Denver with commute traffic (with no accidents).

Highlands Ranch is one the ritzy parts of Denver (Cherry Creek being the other). Houses are quite expensive there for what you get. But it's close to southern Denver (eg the Tech Center). Castle Rock is actually quite a ways from Denver (almost 30 miles). Maybe 20 miles from the Tech Center. The Tech Center is a nightmare to get in and out of during rush hour.

All three have nice views of the mountains. HR is closest to Denver and most metro-like. Castle Rock is little ways from all the hustle and bustle. I personally prefer Broomfield to the others because it is centrally located between Boulder and Denver (15 - 20 minutes to either), has great views, and is not too expensive. Broomfield is all about the sprawl unfortunately. Aside from that, it's a great little city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or