Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 AM

532 posts, read 1,561,853 times

Advertisements

I don't care if people move here, good luck, these days. But I do agree they move here with a state of mind locked in 20 years ago, and ignore the current. Plus, we need that tourism money for low school funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,482,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
complaining about too many trees? really? wow.

If you've ever visually experienced the true Sonoran Desert - you would understand.[/quote]

Don't get wrong here, I think the OP was really "overstating" things (that's saying it kindly!!). But...I do agree with the tree thing. I lived in AZ (Tucson) and I LOVED the vista/scenery. Until a couple of weeks ago we lived in NC and I really disliked all the trees. I get their value, but I missed the views enormously!!! When it was time to move (for work transfer) I only considered areas with big wide open vistas.

I think you answered some questions for me on Carefree btw so thanks!. That was one of the places we considered.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
I don't care if people move here, good luck, these days. But I do agree they move here with a state of mind locked in 20 years ago, and ignore the current. Plus, we need that tourism money for low school funding.
I don't know what that means, "a state of mind locked in 20 years ago". I was living here 20 years ago. It didn't seem much different then. 20 years ago, even 30, Colorado was not some rural paradise that was later ruined by the influx of people from elsewhere. There have been several recessions here since I moved here in 1980, and there have even been a few years when there was a net population loss in metro Denver.

Denver, CO MSA Population and Components of Change

Colorado Population by Decades

As you can see from the second link, Colorado's population growth as a whole has been fairly slow and steady. Denver metro population grew the most, percentage wise, between 1900-1910, and again between 1950-1960.

Denver, CO Population by Decades

Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
I totally get the "tree thing" .
When I first visited my family in Georgia, I thought I'd go nuts! The only way to see anything was to look up! Too closed in for me!
Then, my recent move to Florida, I was on 9 acres of jungle. If it wasn't for the ocean out my door, I wouldn't have stayed for a year!
I want to look out, beyond, etc. I call it breathing!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Even if it isn't what it was 20 years ago, it is still better than where I came from. Someone moving here now isn't looking at what it was like 20 years ago. They would be looking at what it is like now.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
frogandtoad wrote:
I haven't read many posts by those who were expecting no crime, no traffic, no crowding being shocked that there is crime, traffic, and crowding. I think people have a good idea what it's like here. I did. The others I know who moved here did.
This is certainly true for me. I moved to Grand Junction 2 years ago, from Virginia. My experience here has closely mirrored my expectations.

Katiana wrote:
No one is moving here for the Colorado of 20 yrs ago (which wasn't all that different, IMO), they are moving here for the Colorado of today.
Absolutely true in my case!

As for all of the bitching, whining, moaning, griping and complaining about growth & sprawl that takes place on all of the state forums...it's just human nature glorifying the past ( the good ole days ) and resisting the way things are. Apparently it's much easier to complain about other people than it is to take action and change our own lives.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-28-2008 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: spelling...what else?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
Katiana wrote:
My husband is from Nebraska, and he complains about trees obscuring his view of the horizon.
My wife nad I were recently vacationing in Crested Butte. On one of our hikes she stopped, looked across the valley and said, 'Wow, what a great view'. I jokingly replied, 'Where? All I see is a bunch of big rocks covered with patches of snow and trees blocking the horizon'.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:40 PM

355 posts, read 1,399,376 times
everywhere is becoming traffic congested and over crowded not just colorado and colorado isnt even bad....s h it check FL 18 million people .......u could fit 2 florida's in colorado sq mileage wise hows that sound

Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,271 times
Girlfriend my great gandfather sold most of what is now grand junction during the great depresion .if you dont like change then you had better get out. We all feal the pain at the pump with oil prices. And oil is going to change the western slope of colorado. or I should say is changing! The us needs oil and there is more oil in the roan platuea then in the entire middle east. Not to mention all the natural gas left over from when the grand mesa was an active volcano.
Not all change is bad You do realize that alot of land owners on the western slope have been struggleing for years to keep their land feed there families. Now many of them are getting royalties for gas lines accross their land. Others are benifiting from drilling on thiers. It has boosted wages in a reccessed economy. Some of us had to leave the western slope because their was not enough jobs to support our growing familys. You should feal lucky to have the booming business it beats living in a ghost town.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Katiana wrote:
My husband is from Nebraska, and he complains about trees obscuring his view of the horizon.
My wife nad I were recently vacationing in Crested Butte. On one of our hikes she stopped, looked across the valley and said, 'Wow, what a great view'. I jokingly replied, 'Where? All I see is a bunch of big rocks covered with patches of snow and trees blocking the horizon'.
Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado