Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 AM

94 posts, read 184,574 times

Advertisements

I grew up 150 feet from a train track. It use to blow its whistle as it came by our house, sometimes in the middle of the night. As the poster said above, you just get use to it, and it never bothered our sleep. I wouldn't think a track 2 miles away would be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
I live 1/10 of a mile from the train track here in Plamer Lake, and they do blow their horn repeatedly as they come into and/or leave town regardless of time of day or night. The idea of it caused me much anxiety as we were preparing to close on this house, for fear I would go crazy and never be able to sleep again. I can tell you that, once we moved in, it took about 2 weeks to get used to it and now we really don't hear it at all. That chronic red dust all over car causes me more anxiety than the trains do.

That said, I won't exactly be mad if and when the bulk of them are re-routed through the Eastern Part of the state.
https://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=25250
I would never want them to go away entirely though, as I truly do enjoy their grandeur and the sense of history.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,522 times
I used to live in Louisville, CO and the train horns at night were def. an issue when they would approach and cross the streets in town. It was even more of an issue during summer nights when I had the windows open (and when they ran additional or detour trains on the BNSF line).

The further you are away from grade crossings the better off you will be.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
The train sounds its horn as it works its way through the Castle Rock grade crossings going north on the east side tracks (and it goes through about every hour round the clock), but the train that goes through CR on the west side of I-25 goes straight through and is not required to sound. Will you hear the horn blast from the northbound train? Probably; but I don't know that it will be that bothersome. I used to live in Castlewood Ranch, which is way out east of town, and I could hear it faintly on a still night when the windows were open. If you lived in the older sections downtown, the horn and track noise would be a lot louder. Lots of people live in the Meadows and Red Hawk. Why not ask your prospective neighbors about it?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-01-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
After a few months you will sleep through it. Of course if you have overnight guests they won't. Maye that is an advantage.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
In Florida my mother lived in a house where the main Amtrak lines (which also had a few freights) was right at the end of her back yard. I was appalled. Until I went to visit. even that close I adjusted to it in about 2-3 nights and never really even noticed it after that. I think the OP is more than fine in the situation noted.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
"Getting used to the noise" is a poor excuse and simply justification for the problem. Also, the noise will be louder on cloudy days. If you think you're making a mistake, you probably are.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
"Getting used to the noise" is a poor excuse and simply justification for the problem. Also, the noise will be louder on cloudy days. If you think you're making a mistake, you probably are.
Yes, but she's talking about a train that's almost 2 miles away.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
thinking of purchasing a home in the mdws. back of home faces an open space with the train there as well. we were fortunate to see and hear the train when we were there looking at the house. it kind of scared me but i think it wont be a bothersome. it could be worse, we could be in the middle of a flight path, or backed up to a busy street right?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
how many times do you hear the train? Looking to purchase a home on morning glory and not sure how i would feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado