U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 AM

110 posts, read 433,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRainbows View Post
I would like to obtain information on Cedaredge area, how far is it from Grand Junction, is it commutable for work, is the terrain pines or mainly deserty like Grand Junction? Thx if someone out there knows about the area I would appreciate it....

Thx - Presently living in Pagosa
Coloradorainbows
Cedaredge is a beautiful small town. It is situated at the base of the Grand Mesa so you are on the edge, hence the name, of the transition from desert to mountainous terrain.

It is right at an hour to GJ and people do commute from Cedaredge to GJ, but obviously it depends on what part of GJ that you would be commuting to and also your individual parameters as to what constitutes an acceptable commute.

Very good school system, extremely nice golf course, and hundreds of lakes on Grand Mesa within 30 minutes or so.

Cedaredge has a nice little main street with various shops, restaurants, banks etc., although most major grocery shopping etc., would be done in Delta which is about 15 minutes away. Of course GJ offers more shopping if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 38,262 times
We have two farmer's markets here in Grand Junction. One is every Thursday evening down on Main Street, the other (smaller) is at the Mesa Mall on the west end by Sears (I'm not sure what night they have it).

Summers get hot - but once the sun goes down the temperature goes down with it which makes sleeping comfortable. Temperatures can vary 30 degrees between the daytime highs and nighttime lows. <URL>http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=81503</URL> will take you to the local weather - you can scroll down and hit the monthly view and access all our temperatures in the history section going back many years. Usually the hottest months are June, July and August.

There is tons of fishing on the Grand Mesa (hour drive from here), we even can go fishing right near downtown at the Connected Lakes area by the Colorado River, plus Highline Lake is about 1/2 hour drive from town. Corn Lake a few miles from downtown has some fishing too.

Can be very windy in the springtime from March through May.

Grand Valley Transit is our local bus system. <URL>http://www.grandvalleytransit.com</URL>

We have central airconditioning installed in our home because we preferred it over the swamp system. Swamp coolers will cool your home about twenty degrees cooler than outside, at least the older ones - I don't know about the newer type. The main advantage of airconditioning is you can set your home to whatever temperature you want. Swamp coolers don't work too well during the "monsoon season" (usually mid July to beginning of August). Other advantages include - not having surrounding odors (skunk, wildfires, smoke) sucked into your house.

Mosquitos aren't awfully bad here in Grand Jct., although you do have to be careful about West Nile virus. They are bad on the Mesa - very bad - almost as thick as the ones we had in Alaska!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:49 PM

92 posts, read 360,937 times
I know that the mosquitoes are thick up on the Grand Mesa, we've been there fishing several years ago. We are planning on staying up there in a cabin for several days this summer to go fishing as well as checking out areas around Grand Junction for retirement.
While we are aware of the West Nile Virus situation we were told that we shouldn't be too concerned about that Virus up on the Grand Mesa because there hasn't been any reports of it due to the altitude.
Living in Grand Junction, have you heard that as well? I kind of find it hard to believe but maybe it's true. If you've heard this or otherwise, please advise.

Last edited by wanttoretire; 03-25-2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Default Say "no" to Grand Junction

I spent nearly three decades living on the Western Slope, not far from Grand Junction. I loved it when I moved there, but hated it by the time I left. Grand Junction used to be a pleasant medium-sized town. In the last 10 years, growth has spiraled--and along with it crime, drugs, gangs, traffic, and smog. Like just about everyplace in Western Colorado, real estate prices have outstripped incomes. If you have to try to make a living there, it's going to be tough, unless you want to work in the gas fields--that's where the decent money is. People who look at real estate prices if they are comparing to the East Coast or California think it's a bargain until they figure out that a $10/hr. job is considered a good paying job.

Inversions have always been a problem in the Grand Valley in winter, and the growth is just aggrevating that problem. Summers can be extremely hot during the day, but humidity is low and evaporative cooling works well, so electricity costs aren't such a big factor.

Quite frankly, there is not a single town in Western Colorado that I consider socialogically healthy. Real estate speculation (that "bubble" everybody talks about) has driven the cost of real estate to the point that "transplants" had better bring their money and their income with them if they move there. That makes it so that most places have a "landed gentry" of outside income and transfer payment suppported upper class, and a struggling underclass of low-wage job holders (many now illegal immigrants) making up most of the population. A "normal" middle class is ceasing to exist. Being a bigger town with more opportunities, Grand Junction still has some middle class left, but most other Western Slope towns are becoming "resort ghettos." It didn't used to be that way. Too bad it all changed . . . paradise lost (or, more correctly, wrecked).

Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,243 times
Smile Question about Grand Junction Apartments

Hello- My boyfriend and I are moving to Grand Junction in June. We would like to rent a nice apartment, possibly in Redlands. Are there any apartments we should check out first? We would like to live in a nice part of town. I will be going to the college and a short distance there would be nice as well. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
We are spending less than half on our heating and cooling bills in GJ for a home that is almost twice the size ( 1944 sf ) of our previous home ( 1320 sf ) in Virginia Beach. The swamp cooler keeps our house pleasantly cool 90% of the time and costs about 25% of running an air conditioner. IMO, air conditioning is totally unnecessary and a waste of energy resources, even for those who can easily afford the extra expense.

I don't know if this is the beginning of a long term trend, but since I've been here, summers are running hotter than normal and winters are running colder than normal. We'll have to wait and see if this is due to global warming or just a short term abberation from the norm. Summers are hot and dry. The summer of 2007 brought 79 days with high temps of 90 or above, including 10 days with triple digit highs. Although it cools down into the upper 60s overnite, the cooldown doesn't happen until well after midnight. Personally, I wish the summer nights were cooler. The 2 winters I've lived in GJ have been colder than the norm. So far this winter, Dec 2007 was 3.5 degreees below the norm, and thus far Jan 2008 has been 6+ degrees below the norm. Unless the temp rises above 32 today, this will be the 15th consecutive day below freezing. It's cold, but sunny. It snows frequently but accumulates very little. Most accumulations are less than 1/2 inch. The most I've seen in one snowfall is 3 or 4 inches. It always seems to snow at a time of the day to make for a slippery morning commute. It usually melts off the roads in time for the evening commute. I'm finding winters to be on the cold side, but quite pleasant. The frequent winter inversions make for noticable pollution, but it's not as bad as Denver or LA. Although I certainly would prefer clear skies, it's pretty much of a non-issue for me.

Personally, I wouldn't want to commute to Cedaredge, but then again I hate commuting period. Although one could get by with bicycle transportation, I don't consider the city streets of GJ to be bicycle friendly. As with most places, the streets have been designed primarily for car travel. At best, motorists tolerate bicyclists. There are however many fantastic off road bicycle trails for the mountain bike enthusiast. Grand Junction is a real mecca for an outdoor lover! Another big plus to me is having places like Moab, Ouray, & Glenwood Springs less than a 2 hr drive.

Mosquitos are another non-issue. There's lots of fresh local fruit & produce available at the farmers markets during the summer months. The downtown farmers market has a festival air about it. I enjoy it tremendously. There's also many vineyards & wineries in the area for the wine lovers. The Vitamin Cottage natural foods store has organic produce available year round at reasonable prices.

For more info regarding Grand Junction, search the Colorado forum to read the many existing Grand Junction threads.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-21-2008 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 125,818 times
Question HELP! Questions on Moving to Grand Junction

My husband and I are moving to Grand Junction the last week of February. I have a few questions before we get there-

~ What cell phone service gets the best reception? I know many of them get it along 70, but what about in town and around town off the highway?

~ We will be driving there- from Houston up 45/35 then West on 70, the last week of February or first week of March. What will the weather be like as far as driving conditions? Will there be snow or ice on the ground? Freezing rain? Neither of us have driven in those conditions before- do we need certain tires? Any chance of getting stuck on the road in a blizzard and needing an emergency survival kit? (i may have seen to many movies on that one!!)

~ As far as gas stations, are there any down that stretch? Where would we need to fill up to get from Here to There?

Ok, I think that's it for now- any help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
You absolutely can run into some of the worst winter weather of the season in mountains in March. In most Colorado mountain locations, March is the snowiest month. It is also absolutely possible to have warm, balmy weather at lower elevations and a raging blizzard and snow on the high passes. One day you might have perfect weather, the next a raging storm. You need to be prepared for bad weather, regardless. It can happen. Though there is a lot of "civilization" on the mountain-suburbia-encrusted Denver to Grand Junction stretch, carrying a winter survival kit is never a bad idea. I keep one in the car throughout the winter--better safe than sorry. Fuel is available all along the route--expect to pay plenty for it, though, especially anywhere in the resort areas. I really don't know what to say to people who say, "I've never driven in winter conditions," other than the Colorado mountains in a storm is no place to learn. I-25 and I-70, especially near Denver, can be traffic-choked treacherous nightmares in bad weather. There are better, more direct, but slower routes to get from southern Colorado to Grand Junction, but they can be more isolated and intimidating, I suppose, to someone with no experience in mountain driving. I, and others, have made numerous posts about all of this on this forum. You can do a search for them. As I have posted before, I've been winter driving in the Rocky Mountain West--Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, etc.--for about 40 years now. You can PM me for information on specific routes--I've driven 'em all--many in adverse winter conditions.

You can check road conditions on-line at CDOT Traveler Information or call 511 from within Colorado, 303-639-1111 from outside of Colorado.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,791,423 times
I kind of miss watching Texans try to drive in the snow. Their cars made really neat crunchy noises

Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 125,818 times
I'll make sure we're the ones stuck crunching in front of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or