U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM

16 posts, read 49,594 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to G.J. area. I've been doing as much research as I can online and I have one question plaguing me. I hear on the forums that Grand Junction is a desert, desert climate, dry heat, etc. In the pictures that I've seen there are homes with grass. So I am trying to determine if I need to lug my riding lawn-mower with me from Ohio to G.J. or if the locals will roll their eyes at my trailer and scoff "What's he got a mower for?"

Is there a need for a lawn mower in Grand Junction or is there not?

Thank for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Grand Junction has both lawns and xeriscaping, depending on the property. Irrigation is mandatory for lawn--the city gets about 8" of precipitation PER YEAR. It is a desert.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,790,435 times
If you want a medium sized to big lawn in Grand Junction, be prepared to pay a couple hundred every month in the summer to water it.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
My HOA dues are $138 annually, which includes irrigation water. Best to buy a house that is not part of an HOA. Requiring a lawn in the desert is a criminal act. We water our lawn just enough to maintain a greenish look and keep the HOA off our backs. We mow the lawn about every 4 or 5 weeks.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,680,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you want a medium sized to big lawn in Grand Junction, be prepared to pay a couple hundred every month in the summer to water it.
Totally untrue, unless you have no irrigation rights.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Irrigation water in GJ was relatively cheap, but also a huge pain. Most HOA have the water rights, but not always the know how to keep the system running smoothly. This is especially true if you find a smaller subdivision like the one I lived in. We were trying to sell our home this spring/summer and the irrigation water was not on until almost June! We had some major problems with our system, which was going to cost thousands of dollars to fix. So we ended up having to use city water, which cost us a ton.

So, to answer your question, unless you plan on buying a large piece of property (you better have lots of money), you probably won't need your riding lawnmower. Most of the lawns in GJ are pretty small (less than a .25 acre). A riding lawnmower will just collect dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or