U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 AM

13,674 posts, read 21,507,603 times

Advertisements

Ski Sunlight (near Glenwood Springs) used to have this deal where you could ski for two days and sit in the hot springs for two days and the 4 nights in a hotel were included. That was an awesome deal for the beginner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM

90 posts, read 275,934 times
jim - You didn't post *what part* of Colorado....

If you'll be near Denver or Ft. Collins, Eldora or Loveland will be very good for you. And if you want to drive about 2 hours into the mountains I'd say Winter Park or Copper.

If you'll be near Colorado Springs or Pueblo, I'd go to Monarch.

If you'll be near Grand Junction? Sunlight.

If you'll be near Durango? Hesperus.

And if you plan a trip to Vail, Aspen or Snowmass (I would not recommend it if you are a Beginner.) their schools are First-Rate. They'll be expensive, but you'll get great instruction.

I suggest the non-Big Mountain places on-purpose. Smaller, more "family friendly" and less expensive mountains.

- KK

Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 PM

27 posts, read 102,044 times
KK, Thanks for the response. I thought my thread had finished a couple weeks ago. We will be staying primarily in FC. My wife and I were hoping to do 3 or 4 days skiing. A day of lessons and the rest of the time practicing what we were taught. I have skied but am not very confident. My wife never skied but she is very athletic(coordinated) and I'm sure will pick it up pretty quickly. Would there be lodging pretty close to Eldora or Loveland or is it close enough to drive back and forth each day? Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 PM

90 posts, read 275,934 times
Here are the directions from Ft. C ... right from the Eldora website:

Fort Collins - APPROXIMATELY 70 MILES (90 MINUTES). Take I-25 South, exit onto Highway 119 West to Boulder, exit onto the Diagonal Parkway (Iris Blvd.), burn left onto 28th Street to Canyon Blvd, turn right. Follow directions from Boulder. The only things I'd modify are ... it's a 2-hour drive on weekends.

Eldora says this about lodging <www.eldora.com/mountainInfo/lodging.cfm>. You have to Copy/Paste....

I will also say ... Eldora's Ski School is quite good. Don't let "Colorado locals" mock your decision and shame you into spending a lot more money for a "big mountain" Ski School ... which will not be worth the difference in $$$.

- KK

Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,827 posts, read 37,497,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboshanz View Post
... Would there be lodging pretty close to Eldora or Loveland or is it close enough to drive back and forth each day? Thanks again.
do be advised... Loveland skiing = Loveland Pass ~ 2hrs from FC is not same as 'city of Loveland' ~ 20min from FC

I prefer Winter Park, or Glenwood Springs as a ski destination. Buttermilk (near Glenwood) was the best for low cost, light crowds and variety of runs when I was a Colo resident (been awhile) An evening in the hot springs was a pretty nice way to get all relaxed for the next day of skiing, and at the time there were cheap rooms at the Hot Springs lodge where you shared baths (not available anymore AFAIK).

Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM

9 posts, read 101,446 times
I thought Loveland and Breckenridge were always good when I was learning and really not that far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado