U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 PM

27 posts, read 102,082 times

Advertisements

I am from Chicago and my only experience with skiing is on the icehills of Wisconsin. Where is the best place in CO for a novice skier to learn? Thanks in advance for all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,142,001 times
I like Monarch . It's kinda far from the Springs though. I learned to board there. The bigginners slopes are w i d e. Lots of room to crash. I heard Ski Cooper has the best ski schools. Have fun.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:16 PM

210 posts, read 1,243,483 times
Monarch and Cooper were my two recommendations as well. Monarch is more convenient to the Front Range, being not far from Boulder, but Cooper (not Copper-- they're two different areas) being just outside Leadville (about 2 hours from Denver) has great lessons. The advantage of either place is that both are cheaper than the major resorts (you can often find good discounts for either) and tend to be much less crowded than the bigger areas.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,842 posts, read 37,540,192 times
I hear Eldora in Boulder claims to have good snow this yr (for a change)... It might be adequate and cheaper...and certainly closer. (if you have to fly into DIA...)

Old 01-24-2007, 12:16 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,142,001 times
Quote:
Monarch is more convenient to the Front Range, being not far from Boulder
Monarch is way far from Boulder. It's south west of Pueblo on Highway 50. Loveland is close to the front range, but the snow is not as good.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 AM

476 posts, read 2,090,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboshanz View Post
I am from Chicago and my only experience with skiing is on the icehills of Wisconsin. Where is the best place in CO for a novice skier to learn? Thanks in advance for all replies.
Hesperus is a beginners ski area. It is a small town west of Durango. Kids go there to learn to ski alot and people from out of state go there who dont ski well to learn to get better.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:05 AM

10,875 posts, read 41,221,323 times
The industry leading ski schools are at Vail and Aspen (Buttermilk), both great places to ski. Many of the industry leading instructors and instruction techniques were developed at these two places. Terrain and grooming for the novice are the best in the industry.

If you're on a budget, then Loveland is the place with the best access and closest to Denver. Very good instruction and slopes for beginners, they have a whole area dedicated to beginning skiers, completely away from the slopes mixed with more advanced skiiers and faster ski traffic. The higher altitude ... just at the continental divide ... can make it a little colder than some other areas, but dress appropriately and it's not an issue; the good news is it can get a lot more snow than other CO places in an average snow year.

Be sure to get professional ski instruction wherever you go ... to get correctly started out with the basics you'll need for all your skiing. I see a lot of folks who got "instruction" from some well meaning friends and learned stuff that makes for bad skiing ... makes it tougher for you to enjoy the sport and may be unsafe for you, too.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:17 PM

210 posts, read 1,243,483 times
I meant Eldora, not Monarch.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,646,323 times
I am from Iowa and grew up skiing the ice hills of Minnesota. For my 15th B-day my parents took me to Winter Park in Colorado. I went straight for the lift and went down. My theory then was if you can ski you can ski. I was a lot younger and fear free then though. Winter Park is a great place, not sure how experienced you are.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,139 times
Go here : http://www.skitown.com/resortguide/statemap.cfm/co

You can see all the trailmaps for yourself. Copper where I started after moving here (from the frozen granular of the east) has their mountains split nicely , black on the left side, blues in the middle and greens on the right, and these are massive sections. Loveland is nice too, close, free parking, all around good atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado