Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsaun View Post
I am also trying to get more detailed info, I know the one at the Elks lodge, and i have lived here sence 68, there was one under the old juinor high when i was a kid but i never went in it, i was told by other kids at the time that it was in the boiler room, i have a gut feeling that the big stone house on 9th and greenwood might of had one, and 9th and Fairview.This is the first time i have tried to look this up, so i will have to play some more, i hope this helped a little.
I live near 9th, what stone building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 16,684 times
Phantom canyon road has tunnels,,
we coasted 34 miles down its old rail grade our second trip from Cripple creek..
Also When in Cripple Creek, On the Molly Kathleen Gold mine tour, in the old days.The guide told us (as we were 1000ft under ground) that they were tunnels going to cripple creek , and also to nearby Victor.
And that IF YOU "Knew the way", you could walk 35 miles to Canon City UNDERGROUND !!

After reading this post,, I think it is very likely true !!

Blew my mind.

I also found this
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/Top-Story.asp?ID=14142 (broken link)
about prison tunnels (recent too)

an this
http://extras.denverpost.com/travel/inns46.htm
c/p
Built in 1896 by Dall DeWeese, local geologist, engineer, land developer and visionary, the casually elegant DeWeese Lodge Bed and Breakfast sits on 7 1/2 acres of farmland, just minutes from downtown Canon City.
a unique library with an open balcony overlooking the lower level and a massive floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace. This room also features an intriguing hidden passageway used during DeWeese's time by "ladies of the night," who discreetly entered and exited the lodge through an underground tunnel leading from a trap door in the front porch.

Last edited by MRS-HB-BARKER; 07-09-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 07:46 PM

486 posts, read 1,491,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-HB-BARKER View Post
Phantom canyon road has tunnels,,
we coasted 34 miles down its old rail grade our second trip from Cripple creek..
Also When in Cripple Creek, On the Molly Kathleen Gold mine tour, in the old days.The guide told us (as we were 1000ft under ground) that they were tunnels going to cripple creek , and also to nearby Victor.
And that IF YOU "Knew the way", you could walk 35 miles to Canon City UNDERGROUND !!

After reading this post,, I think it is very likely true !!

Blew my mind.

I also found this
CaƱon City Daily Record - CSP II will open Sept. 1; jobs still available (http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/Top-Story.asp?ID=14142 - broken link)
about prison tunnels (recent too)

an this
The Denver Post Online - Travel
c/p
Built in 1896 by Dall DeWeese, local geologist, engineer, land developer and visionary, the casually elegant DeWeese Lodge Bed and Breakfast sits on 7 1/2 acres of farmland, just minutes from downtown Canon City.
a unique library with an open balcony overlooking the lower level and a massive floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace. This room also features an intriguing hidden passageway used during DeWeese's time by "ladies of the night," who discreetly entered and exited the lodge through an underground tunnel leading from a trap door in the front porch.
Unfortunately, the Deweese Lodge burned down to the ground a couple of years ago. Everything was lost in the fire.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM

wow burned down eh..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM

soooo anyone have access to the tunnels??

Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,389 times
Does anyone know why they stopped giving tours?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,227 times
The Stone House on 9th is at N, 9th and Greenwood. Another story about the tunnels is at one time they went all the way to the monastary because the Klan were not so much after blacks but the Catholics. Why? Not sure but I have heard in the past Catholics were not liked in this area. This is one strange area to say the least. Full of ghosts and attitudes. You can see the underground stuff in downtown because there are think glass showing the tunnels. In the back of the owl cafe in the pool room is another large thick piece of glass showing the steps going down to the tunnels. Nothing surprises me about all this southern area. Many homes have ghosts and have encountered a few. Plus, there have to be Indian bural grounds around since Native Americans lived here first. I would guess there are buildings built over burial grounds and could be the base factor for many haunted places.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checat View Post
The Stone House on 9th is at N, 9th and Greenwood. Another story about the tunnels is at one time they went all the way to the monastary because the Klan were not so much after blacks but the Catholics. Why? Not sure but I have heard in the past Catholics were not liked in this area. ....
The old KKK was against Blacks, Jews and Catholics. In dixie, the Southern Baptist Convention was the Mother Church of the KKK. Southern Blacks had to found their own National Baptist Convention during those days, and it exists to this day. My uncle was an SBC reverend in VA and his regular mention of watching out for tricks played on whites by blacks still rubs me the wrong way. IIRC, the First Baptist Church in Canon City was where the local chapter of the KKK met. Back in the 1920's the KKK used to march, wearing their white robes, in presidential inauguration parades in DC. In the 1920's they also were instrumental in getting the first laws passed to restrict immigration into the USA to keep out the aforementioned groups, and/or anyone of color. The group has a long history.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM

178 posts, read 602,521 times
Lions and tigers and bears! Oh My!

Last edited by GStone777; 01-16-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,162 times
I grew up in canon and so did my mother and she used to tell us about them and that there was an entrance behind what is now the elks lodge on 4th st and macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado