Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM

40 posts, read 181,257 times

Advertisements

According to news reports recently, the state Department of Public Health and Environment gave a radioactive fuels license to Energy Fuels Resources Corp, a Canadian-based company that has long sought to open the mill near the small town of Naturita, CO.

With the environmental issues associated with mining uranium (Canon City, CO) and the prospect for new jobs in the above area, I'd be interested where some of you might stand on this issue. Obviously, the economy is what it is (terrible), but where is the balance (good vs bad) to the community and residence of the Paradox Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Really necessary?

I find it more than ironic that the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment should be the one licensing uranium mining. Seems to me they should be dead set against this, just on principle alone, with some other agency licensing such things. But that is the technicality of what may prove a bad decision.

I'm reminded of the proposed in-situ uranium mining just northeast of Fort Collins, which if allowed may well frack the underlying aquifer, running south all the way to Denver, into a radioactive mess. In the case of Naturita, it resides on the scenic Dolores River. No idea where the mine may be, but hopefully with more regard for the Dolores River and environment than Powertech has for the water supply of the front range.

As one firmly planted into this 21st Century, I'll be no hypocrite in claiming I do not use many modern conveniences which rely upon minerals mined. But I'm also a firm believer that we do ourselves no favors in harming the very environment all depend upon for life. There are unfortunately all too many people and interests upon this planet who do not adequately appreciate the fine balances of nature, and whose only God is money.

As far as the uranium is concerned, I've no idea what its intended purposes are for. While there are some valid uses, more than a few are questionable at best. If nuclear power, this a short-term proposition as the supply of uranium is more finite than many imagine. Moreover, a very unwise use of technology when the legacy a highly radioactive and lethal waste product no one has any good answers for yet. If this uranium for munitions, we already have too many bombs and wars as it is. Ever since the US invaded Fallujah, Iraq with depleted uranium artillery that poor town has witnessed a fourfold increase in cancer rates. In short, there is probably enough uranium floating around this world already for any sane and proper use, with no more needing to be mined. With, as far as I know, any uranium mine being at best a bad compromise for necessity. And that dubious.

As for the citizens of Naturita, yes, it is a remote place without, surely, much of a job market. But better they all leave town than destroy the natural assets they do have . . . and happen share with many another.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Chances are most of the uranium will be sold to China and India and god knows we could stand to see money flowing from China into the US and not vice-versa.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,221 times
I am generally pro-mining these days. In fact, at this very moment I am looking for a shaft for ........oh never mind.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM

According to filings by Energy Fuels Resources, though, the yellowcake uranium at the new mill at Naturita would predominantly be exported to Asian power plants. It seems that the hazards associated with mining uranium may affect the town of Naturita, only to benefit foreign counties.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernwayfarer View Post
According to filings by Energy Fuels Resources, though, the yellowcake uranium at the new mill at Naturita would predominantly be exported to Asian power plants. It seems that the hazards associated with mining uranium may affect the town of Naturita, only to benefit foreign counties.
And that's a bad thing, why? It beats the hell out of us sending our MONEY to China for their garbage consumer goods. They will be sending money to us for a change.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
And that's a bad thing, why? It beats the hell out of us sending our MONEY to China for their garbage consumer goods. They will be sending money to us for a change.
Keep the MONEY in the USA! It's our resource (uranium) and I believe we should benefit from it, especially if we may be harmed as a result.. BTW, I agree with your assessment on China's consumer goods!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernwayfarer View Post
Keep the MONEY in the USA! It's our resource (uranium) and I believe we should benefit from it, especially if we may be harmed as a result.. BTW, I agree with your assessment on China's consumer goods!
But the problem is when we buy crap from China we send money directly to China. When they buy uranium from us they send us money. It probably won't come anywhere near the amount of money we send to them but every little bit counts.

The same thing is going to happen with American coal, too. India and China have a massive demand for coal and we have more than enough.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I have a mixed view about this. First, I think the US needs to put a moratorium on exports of ANY energy mineral outside of the US. We are going to need every barrel of oil, MCF of natural gas, ton of coal, and pound of uranium left in our domestic reserves just for our own survival--period. Selling our reserves to get some cash from foreigners makes as much sense as selling all of the food out of your house when you know that when the cupboards are bare that you can never refill them again. Don't believe the BS about our "huge" coal reserves. They are large, but by no means "endless." In fact, like oil, a lot of the cheaply producible surface and underground reserves will be in serious depletion within about a century if current usage patterns continue. If coal liquefaction is undertaken to produce coal-based substitutes for things like diesel fuel--which I believe is going to be necessary--then the depletion curve steepens even more considerably. The propaganda statements that coal reserves are adequate for "hundreds of years" makes two invalid assumptions: 1)That demand remains constant and does not increase, and 2) that more marginal reserves continue to become more economically producible, when, in fact, all evidence indicates that just the opposite will occur.

Second, as to uranium mining in western Colorado--it can be done responsibly, and we are going to need those uranium reserves, but they should be produced for our own domestic use, not for export. One other comment about uranium in western Colorado--among the legitimate environment concerns there is also a lot hype and overreaction. As an example, in many areas around Naturita and that area, the natural background radiation levels are quite high--often higher in some undisturbed areas than they are in some of the old mill tailings piles. There are a lot of natural radiation "hot spots" in southwestern Colorado. One spot, at a location that I won't disclose, is naturally high enough in radioactivity that a Geiger counter in an airplane 5,000 feet above it will pick up the radiation signal quite vividly.

Selling our energy reserves to foreign countries so we can continue to buy consumer crap from them is about as logical and moral as selling your daughter into prostitution so you can buy drugs and liquor. Neither behavior is good for either you or your children that will inherit what we leave of this country for them.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Great posts by Idunn and Jazzlover as always.

It's been a long time since this area of the state has been discussed at length, I think Nucla ran a thread that was sizable. And you can pretty much tie in Nucla with Naturita in most discussions as the towns are only five miles apart from each other.

I'll bet my last dollar that the area residents of these communities are jumping for joy but they are not going to go out and celebrate just yet. This area knows about the term boom/bust. This area has been economically depressed longer than any area of Colorado as far as I'm concerned. And it's been looked at with indifference and scorn. Union Carbide ran uranium operations in Uravan, north of these communities for decades and was basically set up as a company town.

In the mid 1980's the company folded up operations and the town was basically dismantled. A good share of those people who were employed there lived in Nucla and Naturita. That project was the only industry the area had when it folded its tent and blew out of there. Back then you couldn't draw unemployment for the year and a half, maybe two years that unemployed people can collect now. You collected 26 weeks and that was it. You couldn't file for a new claim until a year had passed since your initial claim was filed. Like a weather inversion in January, double digit unemployment hung over this area for well over a decade, maybe 15 years.

You won't find any franchise businesses in this area, True Value Hardware and Conoco is as close as you get here. You won't find very many out of staters who moved here in the population boom of the 1990's, although there might be some. During the time the vote came in to have gambling houses in Colorado towns in the mid 80's, there were other towns besides Cripple Creek, Blackhawk, and Central City who wanted gambling. This area stood out like a sore thumb and was turned down flat. The Colorado politicians did not do this area many favors and neither did Montrose county in general. In fact, there was a short lived movement to have these towns create their own county. They call themselves the "West End" for a reason. All these years later and the economy there is still flat.

With the exception of Jazzlover, myself, and maybe one or two other people who frequent the Colorado forum, I'm willing to bet that damn few have ever spent any significant time there. It's a 100 plus miles from any community of 5000 in any direction. But those people who have stayed in that area are a hardy lot. They are tired of the jokes made about them from the hoity toity resort town set. The only event that has ever gotten Naturita on the map was when Nucla decided to say to hell with political correctness and have a yearly "Prarie Dog Shoot." Well, that certainly got the area some attention. The townspeople and the businesses needed money any which way they could as it was apparent that the Colorado government wasn't doing much to help them or Montrose County for that matter.

And that attitude continues to this day. With the budget cutbacks Colorado has had through their state budget road maintenence projects have really been on the chopping block. The road from Naturita to Dove Creek has been in sad shape for the last few years. On Colorado 141 heading out of Grand Junction southbound there are signs posted: "No snowplowing from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Their reasoning was that not enough traffic is on that road to justify immediate coverage from the CDot plow trucks. That's not true at all.

This decision will help the area put people to work. I'm with Jazzlover regarding exporting our energy resources out of our state. I'm sure the Montrose people wern't thrilled when this project got the green light, in fact the ones I know personally were against it. They have lived in the area maybe 6 to seven years.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-23-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado