U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
hi,my wife and i are going to be moving to Canon city in the next couple of months.we are looking at farm or ranch areas 40 ac. or more,we have been to Canon city and looked at ranches and farm land.sounds like a nice place to live.most place's we looked at seemed to have enough water thru wells.water is what worries us most.we are bringing our horse with us,we have 6, so far.are retiring from horse training.Canon City seems like a good place to live and some day retire.hope we are not wrong.
any info anyone would like to add would be great.
If a good well there should not be any problem unless the drought we have been in for 6 yrs continues. Some did go dry in the summer. It looks good as to the drought being over. But unless it is an irrigation well that is grandfather in. The well can only be used for household and animals. I don't know where you were looking but many that don't have good wells, haul water for cisterns. Lots of people do that. Some say it is cheaper to have it hauled than drill a well or even haul it themselves. This is hearsay. I am on city water and ditches so I am not up on the prices. I do know some also go to laundry mats so not to use so much of their water. I guess what I am trying to say a good well is worth it wait in gold. You need to know how much water per it will pump. And you may need to talk to some neighbors around that know about that well. Neighbors especially old long time ones are the best information centers there is. ----Oh I don't think you are making a mistake but really check out the places you are looking at. As you say. Water is so important. And some places are not a good bet. I will tell you about a friend of ours. They were going build in a prairie type land so they were drilling a well first before deciding where to build. They never hit water but hit natural gas. So they built there and hauled water. Good trade I would say.

Last edited by Nadine; 03-20-2007 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: added thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,114 times
Thanks Nadine.One of the homes we looked at,the owner said he was on a underground lake with plenty of water.we will check that out more when we get back to Canon.Cause i know water can get real pricey.Dont need that.
Thanks again

Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
Thanks Nadine.One of the homes we looked at,the owner said he was on a underground lake with plenty of water.we will check that out more when we get back to Canon.Cause i know water can get real pricey.Dont need that.
Thanks again
Don't forget the recovery time of the well too. Again I do not know where you were looking but I have not heard of an underground lake in this area. There are some artisans(sp?) close to creeks.I guess there could be but I have not heard of it. If you give me the area, I could do some asking around for you, I may know someone else in the general area to call. If you rather do a private messages that is OK too.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 9,499 times
Smile Coloradomiss

HI Yorkiemom
As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm contemplating a move to either Canon City, Florence or maybe Montrose....I have been looking on "zillow.com for houses as well as Remax...from $75,000. to $150,000.
There seems to be quite a supply...homes seem less expensive in Florence also.
A friend of a friend just moved to Florence with his family (he's a chiropracter) and they love it there...they shop in Canon City since it's only ten minutes away...
Anyway try those websites...then you can visit and actually look at the properties and areas that the
properties are in...very important..
Enjoy your day!!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
A 7-year old zombie thread being revived here . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado