Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times

Advertisements

We are trying to stay focused on any town close to the interstate, that way if we want to go into the mountains or go to a bigger town for shopping, we don't have to drive so far as to where you feel like you are never going to get there.
It could be Fort Collins down to New Mexico, some place where we can find a home in that price range, that is no little dump, if you can understand what I mean. Housing in Colorado is way different then here in Minnesota, your housing is more costly, and people who sell there, would get more for their money buying a place here in Minnesota, so we are trying to make a go of it out there. Thanks for any help you maybe able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,974 times
That is funny. Me, I avoid the interstate if at all possible. I hate the traffic. Canon sits at the base of the Wet Mts, and is located on Hiway 50 at straight thro the Wets into the Sangres, thro, and even over the Continental Divide. following the Arkansas River. & east to Pueblo and the interstate, yuck, Hiway 115 is into the Springs. which also connects with the interstate, yuck again LOL Both are about 40 miles away. You may already know all this. But my question is. Have you been here to look it over? If you have not, I sure would recommend you do before you buy. My ex neighbors were from Minn. They bought a tiny 2 bedroom house. Improved it, nothing big, mostly yard, paint and floor inprovements, Then they looked around for where and what they wanted after they got here. Lived there for a couple yrs before selling. They ended up building in a new subdivision in the toolies with acerage. They said they were real glad they did because they were going to buy in Co Springs, city type area, and commute. Gave them a chance to change their minds, which they did big time. LOL Just my opinion on relocating to such a different climate.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,919 times
Smile canon city

hi,my wife and i are going to be moving to Canon city in the next couple of months.we are looking at farm or ranch areas 40 ac. or more,we have been to Canon city and looked at ranches and farm land.sounds like a nice place to live.most place's we looked at seemed to have enough water thru wells.water is what worries us most.we are bringing our horse with us,we have 6, so far.are retiring from horse training.Canon City seems like a good place to live and some day retire.hope we are not wrong.
any info anyone would like to add would be great.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:51 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Without the prison there would be no Canon City or at least not much of one now. The prisons are our largest employers. State and Federal, which is NW of us about 15-20 miles near a small town of Florence. I hope that answers your question. So I believe it is just the opposite. These are not private prisons. The Territorial prison is here. So you see it had a prison before it was a state. There are many beautiful old homes that are built from the stone from the prison quarry or as in the old days the chain gang rock pile. The place all prisoner used to start their incarceration. Lots of interesting history here if you are a history buff. My father, my husband retired from the state prison and my son works at the Federal. As employees not cons! LOL

Forgive me for jumping in here, but I've read several of your posts and you always give so much good information! I just had to tell you that we've visited Canon City several times, stayed in a campground near the Royal Gorge. I love your area and found a place I'd love to have near there -- if someone wants to donate a million dollars to the cause! It's in Westcliffe. But you are right about the history there -- even the town itself looks like the old western town that it is. We visited the museum at the Territorial Prison and it was so interesting -- the gas chamber kinda gave me the willies. We've seen the dinosaur footprint fossils and museum and have driven almost every road around Canon City. I'm so glad you love your area -- it's so nice to hear positive comments!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Forgive me for jumping in here, but I've read several of your posts and you always give so much good information! I just had to tell you that we've visited Canon City several times, stayed in a campground near the Royal Gorge. I love your area and found a place I'd love to have near there -- if someone wants to donate a million dollars to the cause! It's in Westcliffe. But you are right about the history there -- even the town itself looks like the old western town that it is. We visited the museum at the Territorial Prison and it was so interesting -- the gas chamber kinda gave me the willies. We've seen the dinosaur footprint fossils and museum and have driven almost every road around Canon City. I'm so glad you love your area -- it's so nice to hear positive comments!
Well thank you but I was not always happy to move to Canon City or back again later. I had lived in the mountains and did not want to leave. But later with children it was a good place to raise them. I have been blessed that some of my kids stayed or came back to raise their families. My mountains are close so yes, I love Canon and the surrounding areas. Everything is so close and handy and yet I do not have to be a city slicker. I hate big cities and people living in your back pocket, but even here it is happening. ---Westcliff, my favorite place. My dream has been to live in the Wet Mt valley ever since I first moved to the mts. It is not the same place now but I too would still love to live there. I more or less do every summer. We load my camper and my horse. Head for hunter camps somewhere along the Rainbow Trail and stay for a few days. Do that off and on all summer.---You must have gone over Skyline drive in Canon then or did you go to the big dig in Garden Park?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
You must have gone over Skyline drive in Canon then or did you go to the big dig in Garden Park?
Both! Funny we didn't know about that the first time we were there, but we really explored other times. We had some RV transmission trouble there and one of the local truck repair places took care of us. We even drove up to Cripple Creek on a day trip - beautiful scenic drive, but we only got out to make pictures in the town. There was another good drive too, Phantom-something (Canyon maybe?). I'm sure most of those who live there just take all that for granted, like we do Disney World. But I enjoyed it so much!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Both! Funny we didn't know about that the first time we were there, but we really explored other times. We had some RV transmission trouble there and one of the local truck repair places took care of us. We even drove up to Cripple Creek on a day trip - beautiful scenic drive, but we only got out to make pictures in the town. There was another good drive too, Phantom-something (Canyon maybe?). I'm sure most of those who live there just take all that for granted, like we do Disney World. But I enjoyed it so much!
Yes Phantom Canyon. Named for a supposed to phantom that appeared at one of the stagecoach station. The road its self was an old railroad bed for ore being hauled from Cripple Creek/Victor area to the smelter in Florence. Tunnels thro rock mts the whole fun things. If you like history --head for Leadville some summer when it is hot. ----There are a couple campgrounds on the west side of the Wet Mt. valley. Real close to the Rainbow Trail if you like to walk awhile. The Rainbow is over 100 miles long, running along the lower edges of the San De Cristos. All the trail heads for the trails going up start on it. Unusual

Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM

Thank you! If we get back out that way, I'd like to see more of the Wet Mt. valley and the Sangre De Cristos...(I've read a bunch of westerns about those mtns.!)

Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you! If we get back out that way, I'd like to see more of the Wet Mt. valley and the Sangre De Cristos...(I've read a bunch of westerns about those mtns.!)
They are rough but so much fun to just be.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 AM

368 posts, read 831,181 times
My heart is just aching reading these posts about canon. Oh how I miss you so Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOO HOO, sob, sob, sob............................................... .................................................. ...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado