U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,936,013 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide some info on this area. I got a lead on some land here and was wondering what it's like to live in this area. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 54,964 times
Smile Canon City

Hello,we live in Pueblo West just east of Canon,We have 4.5 acres off of Highway 9 In the Tallahasse subdivision.Canon is surrounded by forest,But is more like a cross between high desert and forest ,It is a very nice small town alot of tourism with the Royal Gorge close by and small shops .The downtown is very nice and the people are vary friendly too,we would live there but it would add 20 min to our drive to work. If you just want the property I would say buy it,as it will never decrease in value,You did not state if this property is in town or on the outskirts,also florence is a very nice little town mostly antique shops.The weather is not as harsh as most towns in colorado but in this state one cannot predict the weather. Penrose is nice and small and is considered to be the banana belt with very nice summers and mild winters,also a very nice area,You did not state if you live in colorado now or are from out of state.you can look up information on fremont county Colorado web site.If you need more information on this area please post it on this forum.All of information is JUST MY OPINION<Have A Great day

Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 AM

Thank you! I've been posting on this forum now for a few weeks. We live in south Florida and are planning to relocate. At first we thought that buying land in north central Florida would be the answer, but we are not so sure. We are looking in Arizona as well.

Your input has been very helpful and I will certainly look into Penrose. We do want to live at a higher altitude - 5000 ish; drier climate, cool summers, etc.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
mjjjracing--I don't know where you live but it cannot be where you say. Pueblo West is east of Canon alright but the Tallahasse sbudivision off highway 9 certainly isn't.

I live in Canon City or rather outside in county. We are a prison, retirement, tourist town on the Arkansas River. We were originally a ag town, with orchards and commercial farming. That land has been broken down and housing is crowding in like everywhere else. To the east it is plains & prairie, to the west mountains. NF is only 5 miles from me. We are surrounded by mts or hills that make bad storms go over us. Some land has irrigation water and I recommend if you are buying land, you get water. We are arid but backed up against the Wet Mountain Range at the entrance of the canyon that is the Royal Gorge area. Without irrigation we would be a prairie with only the dry vegetation and pinion, dry land ceder and cactus. But with it we are a green pretty area with lots of shade trees. Only 30 miles from 2 larger cities for serious shopping. But we are small but growing--darn it! (BG) Oh, we have been in a drought in Colorado for the last 6 yrs. But we are getting lots of snow and we are hoping the drought is over.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks Nadine. Do you think the existence of the prison creates economial problems in the area. Example - perhaps housing prices suffer, etc.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Without the prison there would be no Canon City or at least not much of one now. The prisons are our largest employers. State and Federal, which is NW of us about 15-20 miles near a small town of Florence. I hope that answers your question. So I believe it is just the opposite. These are not private prisons. The Territorial prison is here. So you see it had a prison before it was a state. There are many beautiful old homes that are built from the stone from the prison quarry or as in the old days the chain gang rock pile. The place all prisoner used to start their incarceration. Lots of interesting history here if you are a history buff. My father, my husband retired from the state prison and my son works at the Federal. As employees not cons! LOL

Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 54,964 times
Smile Canon City

Hello,what I meant is we live in Pueblo West ,and we own land in the tallahasse subdivision north west of Canon City,we also own a cabin on 1/2 an acre in RYE south of Canon City in the greenhorn mountains,and are always looking for land deals in and around these areas you cannot go wrong with land in colorado,also you would not believe the climate difference and altitude change in the short distance that all of these communites are apart also the temperature differences,daytime highs and night time lows. there are lots of different websites for Colorado land and communities out ther with helpful information.JUST MY OPINION, have a great day

Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,878,601 times
How is the housing market in the area? What can you get for around a $100,000? We are planning on checking out the area this spring, any input would be great!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 AM

mjjjracing-LOL --now that makes more sense. I sure did not read it that way.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:39 AM

Yorkie Mom-go on line and get the Canon paper. www.canondailyrecord.com (broken link) I think that might help you as to Canon home prices in the want ads. When you say area, how big an area are you asking? I am not an expert on the cost of housing but I do see older homes in town at that price, I really am no help there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado