Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM

34 posts, read 116,908 times

Advertisements

My wife's sister says she can get her a job at the Parker Hospital and I have many skills that can translate to many jobs. I am currently a high rise commercial construction project manager but I also know how to do anything construction wise with my own hands. I was also a union butcher in High school and some of college. I will do whatever it takes to take care of my family. My question is that I have the big fear of the unknown. I know alot about Colorado from the 15 years of visiting but I have never lived there. My wife has here family there and we are alone here in California. Will I be able to provide for my family? Has any one made a move away from all they have ever known? All that we have here is a very good job and a home but those two things are canceled out by a huge home payment and debt. Any one in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,075,868 times
I would make sure at least one of you has a job before committing to a move. I think it is crazy to do it any other way.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

26,144 posts, read 48,824,756 times
There is a fair amount of high rise work in Denver, even in this economy. We actually have supermarkets here - they need butchers as you would expect for a region of almost 3M people. Lots of hospitals here, including two new ones in Colorado Springs. Having one person with a job should be sufficient to get started. IMO, nursing is a sure bet, look for MEDICAL threads in the INDEX of threads.

Use the SEARCH tool to find threads by RebaGirl who moved from CA to CO after much angst. She made it just fine. Most do. Fear not.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,954,699 times
out of bay or bust asks the following:

Help. feeling unsure about a move. If you're not feeling sure about it, don't do it.

Will I be able to provide for my family? You can't really answer this one until you make the effort.

Has any one made a move away from all they have ever known? Yes, I've done it on several occassions.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,075,868 times
I guess my first post could have been a little more helpful. Yes, a year ago my husband and I and our 2 kids moved away from the only home I'd ever known (Fresno, CA) and away from most of our family. It took 11 months from the time he applied for the job here, to the time our house sold, and we could officially move. We lived apart for 5 months. Having a job first not only provides financial stability, but can help narrow down where you should live. In that 11 months the housing market in CA tanked. We got way less for our house there than we thought we would, so we had to settle for something smaller here than we'd hoped. Gas prices went up, and so did airfares, so we don't go back to visit as often as we'd hoped. It is hard to be away from family, specifically my kid's grandparents. We're lucky they visit us. Overall, it was a good move. I get to be a stay at home mom now, the air is cleaner here, the view is better, there is more to do, it is very family friendly. Parts of the move have been hard, but we're glad we did it.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 PM

447 posts, read 1,603,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of bay or bust View Post
Has any one made a move away from all they have ever known?
I did......when I got here in Feb I didn't know a single person, but I did it alone with no dependents. But, I knew deep down that Colorado was where I needed to be and I wasn't going to let anything stop me from achieving it. Your situation is a little more difficult, you have to go with your 'gut' if you think that it's not right then it just may be...........Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
I would def have the job secured if you have kids. You really have to do the right thing by them. I'd be careful of claims of people, even relatives, who can "get you a job" somewhere unless they are the hiring managers. Perhaps your wife should come out and stay with her sister, and look for a job.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 PM

447 posts, read 1,603,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps your wife should come out and stay with her sister, and look for a job.
That would be a good idea, say for at least a week or longer if possible, scout out the area and see if it is 'truely' possible to find a job.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 AM

34 posts, read 116,908 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all for the info. I have spent alot of time in Colorado, however a week at a time. I think you all have good points. Every time i visit I see so much construction work going on I can't help but think there are plenty of jobs? I do not think we will make any rash decisions, we do have a support stysem already there so we would not be comming out blind. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado