Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 05:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is not a local project so they might require some funds from the state but not really from the city. However the cities did pay for the study to be completed as I read where Pueblo paid something like $20,000 so I am sure the Springs paid the same.
Wow that much? What a huge investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Just out of curiosity, where is it the Denverites (since they represent the lion's share of the population base) are going to want to go so fast?

Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Wow that much? What a huge investment.
I could be wrong but that is what I remember.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where is it the Denverites (since they represent the lion's share of the popullation base) are going to want to go so fast?
You have to take more of a broad range look at the front range. What the HSR will do is open up the entire front range to easy and fast transportation. It will, also, create pockets of very dense living as people and companies tend to move by the stations. For example in Pueblo the HSR combined with the New Mexico line and Amtrak will help to create a thriving dense downtown that should draw thousands of people and large corporations. That will enable the front range to grow is ways it has never grown before and really make us a truly world class corridor, something I think our city founders would be proud of.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Well if they ever do here between downtown DC and Mid-town Manhattan, I'd bet on the train. I might even vote on a dirigible if pitted against a car on 95.
Well when they do it, it is from one place of interest to another, hence the public transport guys have to use multiple forms of transport, as you would in real life.

For instance if I was going from Denver to Pueblo I wouldn't be going from station to station, but say from my house to a place of business. Hence I'd have to walk, get a bus or light rail then to the train, then the same in Pueblo to my final destination.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well when they do it, it is from one place of interest to another, hence the public transport guys have to use multiple forms of transport, as you would in real life.

For instance if I was going from Denver to Pueblo I wouldn't be going from station to station, but say from my house to a place of business. Hence I'd have to walk, get a bus or light rail then to the train, then the same in Pueblo to my final destination.
That would hopefully be the next step as I would support light rail in Pueblo, especially in the urban parts of the city including the Downtown, Riverwalk area, university, community college and proposed tech park, industrial parks and the airport.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,245,953 times
Does looking to the future necessarily entail building ultramodern infrastructure than we can't afford just to be stylish? I *am*, however, convinced that a high speed rail system is not cost effective or sustainable, because of the combination of extreme high development and operating cost, low population density and resultant low demand.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-06-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Nor am I. I *am*, however, convinced that a high speed rail system is not cost effective or sustainable, because of the combination of extreme high development and operating cost, low population density and resultant low demand.
Bob, we may not agree on TARP but I'm with you 100% on this one.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
To be truthful , you won't see true High Speed Rail intill the 2040s.......for now A Train with average speeds of 90-110mph and tops of 120mph is ok. And it doesn't have to be Electric , diesel is just fine....Start small , because if you start with something big , it will back fire in a region such as yours.

if your wondering what that looks like a few of my videos come close....

80-100mph @ peak

YouTube - Northeast Corridor Train WB to Newark form Secacuse JCT

120 to 30 up to 110 by then end (don't remember what my GPS device actually said.)

YouTube - Amtrak Keystone : NEC Construction site

80-95mph

YouTube - Amtrak Keystone 645

As you can see , its not that bad. You don't need a train that goes 200mph , one that goes 80-110mph still is just as good......you can't really tell the difference when looking outside once you get to a certain speed.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
if your wondering what that looks like a few of my videos come close.....
Foamer much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado