Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM

423 posts, read 1,952,940 times

Advertisements

Did you like the Fort Collins/Loveland area. There are many smaller towns surrounding the area that are great places to raise kids. If you liked Estes park you may want to consider living west of Loveland where it is a little less populated but within driving distance to Estes. There are also a couple of small towns and areas around Fort Collins, like the horsetooth mountain park, Bellvue, and Livermore. all are very small areas that do not have much as far as groceries etc but they are close enough to Fort Collins. I don't know if I would agree with the Estes Park shop owner. Drugs are becoming more wide spread in both small and large towns. Kids do not start taking drugs because they are bored. I have been in law enforcement for a long time and have never had anyone tell me they started taking drugs because they were bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 45,886 times
My wife is the one that has been posting but I'm going to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
You're right...

Actually, California Couple, Denver is probably the most beautiful and "authentically Colorado" place you'll find. You've seen all that's worth seeing. You should give Commerce City a try... Or try to find a place close to the Purina factory!

I was born in Fowler Colorado until my father received a call to work in a church in California. Fowler is a small farm town outside of Pueblo, or at least it was. My Parents moved when I was 6 and then went back to visit when I was in third Grade. Despite that I still remember Colorado. The sky... the mountains.... Casa Bonita... going out in the snow in the morning and playing with a slip and slide in the afternoon once the sun melted the snow. So I understood that I hadn't seen all of Colorado... I just don't really know where to look since its been soo long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
Did you like the Fort Collins/Loveland area. There are many smaller towns surrounding the area that are great places to raise kids. If you liked Estes park you may want to consider living west of Loveland where it is a little less populated but within driving distance to Estes. There are also a couple of small towns and areas around Fort Collins, like the horsetooth mountain park, Bellvue, and Livermore. all are very small areas that do not have much as far as groceries etc but they are close enough to Fort Collins. I don't know if I would agree with the Estes Park shop owner. Drugs are becoming more wide spread in both small and large towns. Kids do not start taking drugs because they are bored. I have been in law enforcement for a long time and have never had anyone tell me they started taking drugs because they were bored.
We only sort of stopped in Fort Collins and drove through Loveland. We don't really want to live in a Large city. Were looking more for something between 1k-30k people. We tried to talk to more people in Estes Park but a majority of the people there weren't from Estes Park. I'm not looking to get rich... I just want to live in a nice peaceful place where I can make enough to provide for a family (we don't have children yet) and where I can build.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
I think you will have trouble making money to support your family in Estes Park. It is tourist driven and the winters will keep construction down for a good portion of the year. The summer tourist season will also drive you crazy after a couple of years! You might look into an area that can support construction (although the state in taking a big hit, my dad's company keeps laying people off) such as Summit County. You will probably need to live in Fairplay, Leadville, or Kremmling though. You may be able to make in in Dillon or Silverthorne, but be prepared for a higher cost of living.

You may also want to look at Evergreen, Bailey, or Golden. I don't know how the construction industry is doing in those areas but they fit what you're looking for.

You could look into the western slope, as the oil and gas industry is really making the area boom. However, be prepared for unmanaged growth, overcrowded schools, and a bust in about 5-10 years.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I agree with delta07, and will add that there aren't many towns meeting your criteria in Colorado. There are very few stand-alone towns of that size, except on the eastern plains and perhaps the San Luis valley (I am not very familiar with that area). Most places of that size on the Front Range are suburbs of Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, etc. The mountains may have towns of the right size, but they are generally resort areas. Canon City may work for you; I'm not sure of its population, but it's not huge.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,702,685 times
I don't know about construction jobs, but I'd say if you are looking for a nice town with nice people it's probably somewhere close to you in California. Too many folks move around looking for something that is right next door.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:06 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,688,209 times
Marijuana use is rather common all over Colorado, with kids and adults. I've never heard of drinking marijuana though. I've been to Estes Park many times and never saw or heard much about drinking marijuana. No matter what that shop-owner told you, I think you can rest assured that not a lot folks in Estes Park, kids or otherwise, are drinking marijuana.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM

911 posts, read 2,143,116 times
lol

however, you might find them trying to ignite beer cans for some strange reason...

Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM

"igniting beer cans" - Ha Ha ha, absolutely yes, you will see that on occasion !

Old 04-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Jumped back on here because somebody gave me reputation points...

BTW, boy was I wrong. There are ALL kinds of marijuana drinks !! Like this here Green Dragon:

How to Make "Green Dragon"

Try it today !!!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,697 times
Consider Genesee. 30 minutes west of downtown Denver. One hour to all the ski towns. Just off I-70. Genesee is an organized community with 825 homes with most on almost an acre. Prices range from $600,000 and up. Two swimming pools with active swim teams, work out room, hiking club, gourmet dinner group, hiking trails, and more. Not sure if this is within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado