U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 PM

322 posts, read 1,119,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPro View Post
Yeah, Thanks. I have an active application with them, but the announcement doesn't close until AUG. I am considering overseas contracts too for the right price .
You probably won't get an overseas position with CPB just yet....I know there are alot of present CPB officers waiting for those positions or waiting on someone to trade with them. That doesn't mean you will never get one though. I would highly recommend this type of job for you though. I don't know if you're retired or what, but if you're younger than 37 (I believe) you can still apply for Border Patrol as well.

Oh...and...if you're female...which it says you are....as sexest as it may sound...especially with a military background, you've just upped your chances about 80%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 PM

433 posts, read 2,139,841 times
You might be coming across as a Jack (or Jill) of all trades. Focus your effort and resume on what you were best at. Or, at least rewrite your resume to tailor your experience to the job you are going after.

You can't just shotgun resumes out there and wonder why you're not getting anywhere. Many other folks do that and it usually isn't very affective.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 PM

13 posts, read 35,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
You probably won't get an overseas position with CPB just yet....I know there are alot of present CPB officers waiting for those positions or waiting on someone to trade with them. That doesn't mean you will never get one though. I would highly recommend this type of job for you though. I don't know if you're retired or what, but if you're younger than 37 (I believe) you can still apply for Border Patrol as well.
Heh eh. No, I am not retired, but I am getting real closed to 37. I joined the service when I was 28 as a mere exploration so I never really considered myself a lifer.

Border Patrol is the coolest job one can have. I did Air Force Security Police for 2 years and the best part of my job involved securing the base perimeter (29,000 acres of property) . The only problem is I have just purchased a new house and not planning on moving so soon.

Last edited by ArmyPro; 04-19-2007 at 08:43 PM..

Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Oh...and...if you're female...which it says you are....as sexest as it may sound...especially with a military background, you've just upped your chances about 80%!

Where does it say I am female, so I can change it? I did not even fill out my profile.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Heh eh. No, I am not retired, but I am getting real closed to 37. I joined the service when I was 28 as a mere exploration so I never really considered myself a lifer.

Border Patrol is the coolest job one can have. I did Air Force Security Police for 2 years and the best part of my job involved securing the base perimeter (29,000 acres of property) . The only problem is I have just purchased a new house and not planning in moving so soon.
That might be a problem. My husband...being from South Texas was VERY reluctant to take the job up north, but his friend who got him the job (FBI) said it was the Northen Border, take it or leave it. Now that he has done his 2 years (and a couple more on top of that), we are free to trade with anyone who wants a job up here. (Anywhere in the world). Funny...we get alot of Officers from the Southern ports for a change of pace up here. You could always rent out your house for a couple years and try to get an International Airport opening back home later. Just a suggestion. But there are good benefits, good paying job and paid leave!!! After you complete that first couple of years, you can go anywhere (as long as someone wants to trade with you). But you may get lucky and they may have an opening at a Southern port (if you like the fast paced hard work lifestyle). Chances are there won't be any airport jobs since they seem to be high demand right now amongst the CBP officers. Although...I could VERY WELL be wrong....been known to happen from time to time!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
You might be coming across as a Jack (or Jill) of all trades. Focus your effort and resume on what you were best at. Or, at least rewrite your resume to tailor your experience to the job you are going after.

You can't just shotgun resumes out there and wonder why you're not getting anywhere. Many other folks do that and it usually isn't very affective.
LOL . I am guilty of that. I did my resume as a Jack of all trades at first, but only because I was enumerating all my skills to an agency to tailor different resumes for my many skills (Human Resources Supervisor, Information Management Officer, Supply Manager, Security Police Officer, Senior Cable System Installer-Maintainer).

Old 04-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Where does it say I am female, so I can change it? I did not even fill out my profile.
That was MY mistake...SO SORRY!!! I had a MAJOR brain fart and was referring to the original poster...whom I thought was you...but then noticed it wasn't. Like I said... me being wrong has been known to happen from time to time....
My apologies for that!! Especially if you are male!! LOL!!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
That might be a problem. My husband...being from South Texas was VERY reluctant to take the job up north, but his friend who got him the job (FBI) said it was the Northen Border, take it or leave it. Now that he has done his 2 years (and a couple more on top of that), we are free to trade with anyone who wants a job up here. (Anywhere in the world). Funny...we get alot of Officers from the Southern ports for a change of pace up here. You could always rent out your house for a couple years and try to get an International Airport opening back home later. Just a suggestion. But there are good benefits, good paying job and paid leave!!! After you complete that first couple of years, you can go anywhere (as long as someone wants to trade with you). But you may get lucky and they may have an opening at a Southern port (if you like the fast paced hard work lifestyle). Chances are there won't be any airport jobs since they seem to be high demand right now amongst the CBP officers. Although...I could VERY WELL be wrong....been known to happen from time to time!
Hum. Very good point. I am going to fill out an application right now for it. Who knows. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
That was MY mistake...SO SORRY!!! I had a MAJOR brain fart and was referring to the original poster...whom I thought was you...but then noticed it wasn't. Like I said... me being wrong has been known to happen from time to time....
My apologies for that!! Especially if you are male!! LOL!!
Don't sweat it (errare humanum es). You are cool in my book .

Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Hum. Very good point. I am going to fill out an application right now for it. Who knows. Thanks.
Best of luck!!! It's something I'm sure you'd enjoy doing if you miss that military lifestyle. Keep us posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or