U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 PM

13 posts, read 35,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
Best of luck!!! It's something I'm sure you'd enjoy doing if you miss that military lifestyle. Keep us posted!!
I sure will. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:57 PM

29 posts, read 21,729 times
Red face My two cents...

I can sympathize with the job hunt blues. BTW, I just found a nice jobsearch website at www.indeed.com. Definitely check it out. I detest militarism but the idea of an unemployed veteran really makes me sick. If anyone should have a job it's veterans. That's what got Timothy McVeigh in a real tizzy, when he returned from Gulf Massacre I and couldn't find decent work.

I've been on the Front Range 16 years now and I've started to really notice some things. This place continues to serve as an escape valve for people leaving other parts of the US to make a hopefully better life in Colorado. The local economies here really benefit from this constant influx of people. The economy here has grown measurably since the 80's, but it's really a smaller economy than most Front Rangerians realize, unless you don't mind trying to get by on a $9.00/hour service industry job. For every job created, there are 5 people moving here (plus 3 illegals) hoping to land it. This bad equation then results in another constant, the constant outflow of people who decide Colorado's not for them and move on to somewhere else.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM

21 posts, read 172,586 times
yeah I feel like it is hard to get a job right now period

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM

13 posts, read 35,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POdNCrazee View Post
That's what got Timothy McVeigh in a real tizzy, when he returned from Gulf Massacre I and couldn't find decent work.
LOL . I have no real urge to start killing people at the moment because I can't find decent work , but who knows what the future might hold .

Old 05-13-2007, 02:17 AM

16 posts, read 78,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLydia26 View Post
Has anyone else had a hard transition for employment? I have a great military background with tons of experience in almost every field, spent two years in Iraq, one year in Korea, done modeling jobs and the only job offer I have gotten is a civilian contractor job in Kuwait! What gives? PLEASE any ideas? I have applied everywhere! AHHHHH I don't want to go back overseas again, thats why I got out.
I work in Human Resouces and I see alot of applications/resumes daily. Some of our applicants are prior military. I haven't seen your resume, so I don't want to assume anything. However, from my experience in HR, I see many resumes that list skills that are not relevent to the position. My advise is to get a job description of the position you are applying for, and create a resume that reflects the skills that you possess that the employer is seeking. Leave irrelevant information out. Be specific about your relevant skills. Also, keep in mind that the Army uses acronyms that civilian employers may not be familiar with. If you have used Army terminology on your resume, please consider revising it so that it could be understood by civilian employers. With the right resume, you could get called for an interview. We had one position that was open for two months. We had many applicants, but none matched what the employer was seeking. Then, an applicant came in with the qualifications for the job listed on his resume. He had an interview the next day and got the job.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 AM

16 posts, read 78,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyjay View Post
Well, you need to give up your illusions that you will be awarded with a job of your choice because of your military service. Sorry to have to put it that way, but that is the way it is. Realize that most employment screeners are "tripped out" employees who will resent anything about you that may make you look better then them (such as your diversified experience) and it will be hard for you to get to the job hiring decision makers. Try small employers where the owner of the business is the intial contact maker, the interviewer and the hire/no hire decision maker. Avoid the large corps. since that is where the tripped out employee-managers take cover.
Your assessment of large corps. is an opinion, not necessarily a fact. My sister works for a large corp. & has interviewed many people for positions. She also works with several prior military personnel. One of the keys to a person being hired is relevant experience. Some military jobs are just not compatable with the position the individual is seeking.

My employer gives preference to prior military. Some applicants believe that this means we will hire them because they were in the military. In reality, what it means is that, if the individual is qualified, we have to consider them before other qualified people. If the vet is not qualified, they will not be considered just because they served.

It is great that people have diversified experience, but some experience has to be related to the job at hand. I am prior military myself. Some of the jobs I did in the Air Force are not relevant to my current job. When I submitted my application for my current position, I listed relevant experience only.

Because I work in HR, I see many applicants make the mistake of listing irrelevant experience. The result is, they don't get the job. It has nothing to do with the employer being "tripped out," rather, many times, the applicant has not written an effective resume. I don't know about the Army, but when I separated from the Air Force, I had to attend a class on how to write a resume & how to interview for civilian employment. It has helped me transition into the civilian world.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,309,275 times
bnsf.com

Someone gave my husband the website above when they found out he was getting out of the service. His brother works for the company and said the company will give first priority to veterans. They even have a military recruiter... a person in HR who actively looks for former military personnel.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 60,298 times
Have you tried the Natural Gas Companies? Pioneer Natural Resources, XTO Energy, etc. They could definitely use some experienced help. And they are national comapanies, so you can choose where you want to live while working for them.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,169,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcrv View Post
Thanks for your service and welcome home. There is a job waiting for you at the closest Mickey D's. Relax, take your time and look around. Don't assume you have to choose a career today. Take some classes. It is fun, you will meet new people and get new perspectives.
I remember well when I got out of the service and started looking for a job. That was in the middle of the last century. It was no fun then either.
The worst job in the world is looking for a job.
Man I fixed aircraft electronic systems. Im a war vet. I could not even get a broom pushing job at Boeing. Im not kidding, I even applied as a janitor. I ended up delivery Pizza. Peope don't seem to care if your a vet. I had to go to school to get an education. Good luck to you. Remember Pizza Huts waiting for you too. The tips were real good at least. I averaged around 14 dollars an hour. Its been 16 years and I have never been able to find anything close to what the Navy trained me to do. I Invest in houses now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or