U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 AM

171 posts, read 769,144 times

Advertisements

Will someone please explain what the following "winterization" means exactly?

"Sold As-Is/Where-Is. BUYER RESPONSIBLE & SHALL BEAR THE EXPENSE OF DE-WINTERIZATION & RE-WINTERIZATION BEFORE & AFTER INSPECTIONS"

Thanks
Kali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 AM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
Assuming you're asking about a motor vehicle, "winterization" is the manufacturer's schedule of cold weather/winter weight engine oil, anti-freeze concentration, and so on for the winter months.

During cold months, this would be the normal operating condition for the vehicle. No changes would need to be made for the state vehicle emissions test.

If this inquiry is about a motor vehicle on a Colorado licensed dealer's lot, then the dealer is solely responsible for any cost needed to bring the car up to emissions compliance and certification to legally sell the car. Otherwise, they cannot sell the car as a driveable vehicle (nor issue a "temporary license plate"). It can only be sold as a "tow-away" car to be registered and operated outside the "emissions area" or to be correctly fixed by others and then emissions certified.

IMHO, if you are at a dealership who is playing games with you about a car with emissions problems and hiding behind "as-is/where is" conditions of purchase, do not do business with them unless you are a competent mechanic willing to take on a non-roadworthy car project and buying the vehicle for a commensurate low cost. Save your time, money, and aggravation by going to a dealer with street legal cars that are road ready.

If this isn't about a motor vehicle, then let us know what the application is so we can be of further assistance.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Regarding a home for sale.

Hi Sunspirit.
Thanks for your reply and the automobile information. That is very educational. I had no idea there were other applications so let me clarify my original inquiry.

The quote was part of the description regarding a home that was listed forsale through a realtor. It is listed on the MLS. I have no idea what the winterization applies to regarding a home, as we don't have that here. Any ideas?

Kali

Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 AM

"winterization" for a home ... would be the process of installing winter time covers over A/C units, swamp coolers, hot tubs/equipment, or any plumbing that might be exposed to freezing conditions.

They may also install an anti-freeze solution into plumbing so that an unheated house won't freeze the pipes, or drain the plumbing system.

A proper home inspection would run water throughout the plumbing to verify proper operation of valves, domestic water heater, faucets, toilets, drains and p-traps, and any other fixtures or pipes.

It would then leave the plumbing system filled with water and without the protection of an anti-freeze solution, or of a drained system without any water in it to freeze up.

So, the seller is saying you may have the house inspected, but you will be liable for the cost of restoring the house to it's winterized condition after the inspection as a condition to do the inspection.

Again, some assumptions here. As-is/where-is sale on a home suggests a mobile or modular house, and the house is not currently heated or maintained on a site. You might do better to deal with a seller with a house they'll stand behind rather than risk a house with (unknown, if any) problems. Again, price should reflect the risk you are taking ....

Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM

226 posts, read 1,246,953 times
Sunspirit explained the process of winterizing a home. This will add about $500 to the cost of the home inspection. It sounds like you are buying a bank owned property, you will want to make sure you are using a good Buyer's Agent for that transaction. You may also want to be aware that mobile homes typically do not appreciate and can be very hard to sell when you need to move.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM

66 posts, read 441,511 times
Default Winterization

Kaligirl,

With as many homes as there are on the market that are HUD or banked owned, many of them are "winterized", which for the most part means that the utilites to the house have been shut off. This does not apply to just the mobile or modular home community. It also applies to single family residential homes.

Please be very careful when looking to purchase an "AS IS" home. A few are decent and many require some work, from a little to extensive. I recommend to anyone looking at purchasing such a home to get it inspected prior to ever making an offer so that you know what you are getting into and what the possible cash outlay would be to make it liveable.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Thanks for your explainations!

Wow you all are so great. Thanks so much for updating me on the ins and outs. We are not interested in this property at all, but the description was unusual and I wanted to understand what it was pertaining to incase it comes up again. Also, for example, some of you mentioned manufactured home. Wouldn’t this be listed in the description so a person can distinguish between them?

When we are ready to buy, it will be most helpful to know and understand the differences in terminology used in properties listed there. Any other things I may not be familiar with regarding “four season” state properties? Inspections? Offers? Contracts?

Thanks! Kali

Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 AM

"manufactured housing" comes in many varieties.

Mobile Homes are built to a set of standards that are different than other dwellings. They may be suitable for your needs/budget, but depreciate in value over time as they have a limited service life. Additionally, older ones may be rejected from a trailer park or not allowed on a site.

"factory built" homes may be built as well as ... if not better than ... "stick built" housing, and to the same codes. I think there's a plant in the Fort Collins area that does excellent work. These homes, placed on a permanent foundation, may be a very good value and will perform/appreciate as a site built house.

"log homes" are another type of off-site construction. A building may be entirely assembled at the plant, and then torn down to be re-assembled on the final site. Depending upon the manufacturer and site construction crew, these structures may be super ... or may have a lot of hidden problems.

There is a wide range of quality and construction details available in the marketplace. You should always ask to what code standard a house was built so that you know for sure what you're buying.

Real estate listings may not necessarily tell you what the construction was.

A professional pre-buy inspection may be valuable to you if you're serious about a house to reveal possible defects or problems before your purchase is completed. Be very aggressive about eliminating bentonite soil concerns for a property; check the house very carefully for cracks and foundation flaws, or more obvious settling. Sometimes the flaws will be very obvious. In my opinion, don't buy a house with existing problems unless you're into a long haul of issues ... and the price reflects the problems; there's simply too many good houses without the problems or where the soil concerns have been properly mitigated.

Don't get sold expensive "termite" inspections. They aren't a problem in the dry climate of the Front Range (nor are fleas, BTW).

Real Estate contracts through realtors in Colorado are on standard forms provided by the state. Read the filled in blanks regarding terms, possession, items to be included with the property, easements, etc. .... all the fine details to understand what it is you're buying and how it's to be conveyed.

FWIW, I've seen a trend to issue "special warranty" deeds instead of "general warranty" deeds in Colorado. I'd want a "general warranty". It's one of those details that may never be an issue to you, but it could be ... so insist upon the higher level of protection.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Deeds

FWIW, I've seen a trend to issue "special warranty" deeds instead of "general warranty" deeds in Colorado. I'd want a "general warranty". It's one of those details that may never be an issue to you, but it could be ... so insist upon the higher level of protection.[/quote]

Because of the high number of foreclosures in our state, HUD homes and homes that are bought back by the bank will have deeds issued as "Special Warranty". That is the only type that they will offer.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Deeds

[/quote]FWIW, I've seen a trend to issue "special warranty" deeds instead of "general warranty" deeds in Colorado. I'd want a "general warranty". It's one of those details that may never be an issue to you, but it could be ... so insist upon the higher level of protection.[/quote]

Because of the high number of foreclosures in our state, HUD homes and homes that are bought back by the bank will have deeds issued as "Special Warranty". That is the only type that they will offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or