U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 PM

90 posts, read 142,628 times
I have been watching your temps this summer. It is pretty cool there. Heard from my CU son that you had snow in Breck last week?
How populated does it get in the summer? Does it seem like a ghost town in the off season at all? I am single and not looking for too much seclusion. In the winter, I love (and teach) skiing so am set. (BOEC is actually the main draw for me to Summit Co-adaptive ski teacher too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,971,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thIndian View Post
I have been watching your temps this summer. It is pretty cool there.
Summer temps usually top out max in the 80's. Early morning temps in the 40's to 50's.

Quote:
Heard from my CU son that you had snow in Breck last week?
In town it was really more like really tiny hail/graupel that disappeared by 9am. Up high (10,500'+) yes, there was definitely snow, up to 8" in spots.

Quote:
How populated does it get in the summer? Does it seem like a ghost town in the off season at all?
Not at all! There are many year-round residents who are out and about. And with so many summer events, there's no dearth of visitors either (especially on weekends). The most noticeable difference is that in summer you'll have to wait 15-20 minutes for a table at restaurants on a weekend rather than 45-60 minutes like in winter.

Quote:
I am single and not looking for too much seclusion.
Just so you know, the male-to-female ratio skews HIGHLY towards the male end. Finding a long-term girlfriend is an almost impossible task here.

Quote:
In the winter, I love (and teach) skiing so am set. (BOEC is actually the main draw for me to Summit Co-adaptive ski teacher too)
Where will you be teaching?

Btw, what's the significance of your screen name, if any?

Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Fuzz,
-Male to female ratio suits me fine.
-5th Indian is in memory of my dad. He had 6 girls and that is how he'd introduce us...this is my 1st Indian...my 2nd Indian...etc. We are Irish but I grew up in the 60's when cowboys, Indians, and the wild, wild west were favorite fantasies.
-Volunteered for BOEC (Breck's adaptive) last March for a few days while visiting and plan to do same this year but I actually teach part time in PA at 2 small mountains. Reason I am on city data is to learn about CO (and now more specifically Silverthorne area hence Wildernest questions) as I may move there f-time in few years and have considered buying something now to kind of transition over time, working as much as possible when I can get there, maybe even up to a month.
-Looked at 3 areas when out there in March, met with realtors, etc...Boulder, Evergreen and Summit Co. L-term goal if decide to live there f time may be Silverthorne's Willowbrook development (off Golden Eagle Road?). Is this a good "locals" area? Are there better ones in Summit County?
Thanks.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
-Volunteered for BOEC (Breck's adaptive) last March for a few days while visiting and plan to do same this year but I actually teach part time in PA at 2 small mountains.
If haven't already, check out the forums at Epicski -- lots of ski instructors hang out there.

Quote:
-Looked at 3 areas when out there in March, met with realtors, etc...Boulder, Evergreen and Summit Co.
Commuting from Boulder/Evergreen to Summit is going to be a major pain. Especially on weekends. It can take 3 hours on weekend afternoons to get back to Denver with no weather problems.

Quote:
L-term goal if decide to live there f time may be Silverthorne's Willowbrook development (off Golden Eagle Road?). Is this a good "locals" area?
Yes, this is a great area -- many, many locals in the area. We live very close by here. Plus you can access the Eagles Nest Wilderness from the top of Willowbrook Road.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM

446 posts, read 1,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Commuting from Boulder/Evergreen to Summit is going to be a major pain. Especially on weekends. It can take 3 hours on weekend afternoons to get back to Denver with no weather problems.
Yes, I was one of "those" who commuted to Evergreen twice a week, it is a real b****, which is why I moved to Summit Co. You really have 1 decision to make........Which do you 'really' like more, the city or skiing

Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 AM

breaksraver13,
Skiing. But I am a special ed teacher too and realize that jobs are hard to come by in that field in smaller areas like Summit County (heard teachers hold on to them). I have thought about starting my own business though, like a B & B for special needs/handicapped or something, but that is a real pipe dream. Ever heard of something like that there? That is the "city" in me actually, can't say I like anything else about city life.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
breaksraver13,
Skiing. But I am a special ed teacher too and realize that jobs are hard to come by in that field in smaller areas like Summit County (heard teachers hold on to them). I have thought about starting my own business though, like a B & B for special needs/handicapped or something, but that is a real pipe dream. Ever heard of something like that there? That is the "city" in me actually, can't say I like anything else about city life.
Can't say......I haven't been living here very long at all......Fuzz will help though.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 PM

I counted 12 B&Bs in the county in the phone book. I have no idea how well they're doing, or how well they cater to special needs/handicaps.

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of short-term rental units available in the area, many fully handicapped-accessible.

Have you done any research into whether this is a big destination for special needs/handicapped tourists?

I readily acknowledge my lack of great familiarity with the world of the handicapped (other than my father-in-law), but I would think that most of the typical outdoor attractions here don't lend themselves to typical handicapped visitors (although I have seen many sit-skiers, single-leg-skiers, and blind skiers on the mountains). 8 months out of the year, the sidewalks and pavements are treacherous enough for the able-bodied.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Keep in mind that there are a LOT of short-term rental units available in the area, many fully handicapped-accessible.
That is a very good point

Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks. You guys have been a big help. Can't wait until my next visit to investigate further the areas you intro'd me to. I'll check back to this thread every now and again to see if you have any other tips for me and my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado