Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM

37 posts, read 166,759 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a comparison if anyone can help on Denver vs Ft. Collins.

Apartment rent
Employment
nightlife
recreation
Safety

I'm from NJ so this is going to be a big change and I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision on where to move. It will be myself and my Cousin...we are both single in our early 30's and would like to live in an area that is populated but not overflowing...something somewhat close to the nightlife and entertainment.

If anyone has any other suggestions of areas that might work then please feel free to jump in!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
The main difference between FC and Denver is that FC is a smaller city of about 120k and Denver is at the center of a 2 million person metro area. So, you can imagine that things are going to be difference.

Apartment rent: similar, with Fort Collins being slightly cheaper.

Employment: The job markets are pretty good right now statewide, but generally jobs in Denver are going to have higher salaries.

Nightlife: Denver has lots going on with lots of bars and clubs. Fort Collins has your typical college student scene around campus as well as its Old Town bars and clubs. Both cities will have options, though Denver will have a lot more options.

Recreation: Both Denver and FC will have plenty of outdoor opportunities since both are at the foot of the mountains, but the ski resorts are much closer to Denver than Fort Collins. Denver definitely has an edge in the culture department.

Safety: Fort Collins has no real crime issues to worry about; Denver does have some of the crime you'd expect in a large-ish city, but I personally don't find downtown Denver all that unsafe compared to the downtowns of most cities. Things happen though and it pays to have some common sense.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Thanks so much for the info...

Would you have any suggestions of decent but not that pricey apartment communities in Denver and Ft. Collins? I did a search on Apartments.com and I have no clue where to even look..It breaks you down into areas..Northwest, North, Southwest, East..etc...what are the better areas of town that don't break the budget. We're looking at spending around 1000 a month for a 2 bedroom..even an idea of what areas to look into would help

thanks again!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:31 PM

42 posts, read 247,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The main difference between FC and Denver is that FC is a smaller city of about 120k and Denver is at the center of a 2 million person metro area. So, you can imagine that things are going to be difference.

Apartment rent: similar, with Fort Collins being slightly cheaper.

Employment: The job markets are pretty good right now statewide, but generally jobs in Denver are going to have higher salaries.

Nightlife: Denver has lots going on with lots of bars and clubs. Fort Collins has your typical college student scene around campus as well as its Old Town bars and clubs. Both cities will have options, though Denver will have a lot more options.

Recreation: Both Denver and FC will have plenty of outdoor opportunities since both are at the foot of the mountains, but the ski resorts are much closer to Denver than Fort Collins. Denver definitely has an edge in the culture department.

Safety: Fort Collins has no real crime issues to worry about; Denver does have some of the crime you'd expect in a large-ish city, but I personally don't find downtown Denver all that unsafe compared to the downtowns of most cities. Things happen though and it pays to have some common sense.

I would agree with that for the most part, except for the last part, there is crime in Fort Collins and Denver. Denver obviously has the higher crime rate, even though Fort Collins was rated the best place to raise your family, it was still ranked 139th on a list of dangerous cities, and Denver was ranked 303 or something like that. The higher the ranking the more the crime. If I had to pick, I would probably go with Fort Collins, just because it safer.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 AM

14 posts, read 86,769 times
My advise would be to "focus" on Loveland. There is a dog track outside of town on 25. You are within 30 minutes of fort collins, boulder, denver, esters park and red rocks. Longmont or Loveland would fit your budget as well. The good news is that you can't go wrong anywhere on the front range. You can't make a wrong choice here buddy.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 PM

thanks so much again for all the info. I was checking out Loveland but wasn't sure...didn't realize it was only 30 minutes from everything it seems.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmaranclh View Post
...checking out Loveland but wasn't sure...
Thanks!
Loveland will be short on adult night clubs... but high on quality of life, arts and crafts, photo and hiking clubs and ez recreation. Really depends on your tastes. (oh how I miss the multiple swimming pool choices of Loveland, and terrific biking areas (Like Thompson Canyon, Carter Lake...)) we don't have pools in High Schools, and only one 25yd community pool for 300k population... I don't swim daily anymore )

@ age 30 I'd choose to drive for the clubs, and enjoy the 'good life', ez commute, variety of recreational options (not that adult Clubs are not recreational...just feel that gets old at some age) If you are into the clubs (critcal to your happiness) then get deep into a metro area. Otherwise do some planning and attack the clubs on an 'as needed' basis.

FC might be too 'college' aged focused for serious 30 something fun.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:42 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
I live in FC, I find it to be an extremely family oriented community. I do have a child now, but lived here for about 4 years before that, and felt out of place - even while I was a college student. Maybe that was just my experience - but I was always encountering the "when are you going to have kids?" from coworkers, neighbors, ect.

There is oldtown, which has a decent nightlife, but mostly for college kids.

If you want to rent an apt - they are plentiful and cheap.

Crime - we have our share or breakins, drugs, ect. I'm not sure if it is more or less than other places.

The job market seems kindve tight - definately competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado