U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 AM

182 posts, read 428,720 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in Colorado.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is Colorado a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is Colorado a good place to raise a child?

Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
Alaska
Montana
New Mexico
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah

I really appreciate the help!

Jessica

P.S. We love the idea of mountain life and would prefer cooler summers. We are very tired of the heat here in Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,051,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in Colorado.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is Colorado a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is Colorado a good place to raise a child?

Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
Alaska
Montana
New Mexico
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah

I really appreciate the help!

Jessica

P.S. We love the idea of mountain life and would prefer cooler summers. We are very tired of the heat here in Texas.
Short answers:

Colorado residential property taxes are among the lowest in the US per dollar of fair market value. Income tax rates are middling. Sales tax and fuel tax rates are high. Property is generally overpriced in much of Colorado--ESPECIALLY anywhere in the mountains when compared with local incomes. I personally don't think of most of the resort areas of the state as being a very good place to raise a child. Too many trustifarians with too much time and money to get into trouble. In other parts of the state, it just depends. Colorado's education system goes from OK to not very good and has some pretty daunting long-term funding issues.

Finally, if you plan to try to work as a wildlife biologist in government in Colorado, you had better have some damned good credentials. Colorado universities (CSU specifically) turn out a lot of those graduates (as do other Rocky Mountain region universities) and the number of jobs available is very limited. A lot of people have the same idea that you do. That stiff competition will probably be the case in any Rocky Mountain state. I have posted elsewhere on this subject on the forum--you can search there. I know some people who work in various natural resource (forestry, wildlife, range management, etc.) jobs with the Feds in Colorado. Though it is not as bad as it used to be, if you work for them, plan on being transferred quite a bit--oftentimes to places outside of the Rocky Mountain region. Most of the state wildlife jobs--excepting as a game warden, which means having law enforcement training--will be based in Denver, not up in the mountains somewhere. The Colorado Division of Wildlife state headquarters is right in the middle of one of Denver's industrial areas .

Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 AM

Wow, this is far from what I have been told about this degree. That's not suprising though, I don't think. I am glad you told me this actually. I will gear myself up for this. Colorado, so far has fallen to the bottom, if not off my list completely. Also, from the way it sounds, I might be better off working for a state park. Do you think so too?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,051,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Wow, this is far from what I have been told about this degree. That's not suprising though, I don't think. I am glad you told me this actually. I will gear myself up for this. Colorado, so far has fallen to the bottom, if not off my list completely. Also, from the way it sounds, I might be better off working for a state park. Do you think so too?
I would suggest that you contact directly some people working in your chosen field--in the places you are considering. I've seen your posts on several state forums. A lot of outsiders think of the Rocky Mountain West as a homogeneous region--in some ways it is, in many ways it is not.

New Mexico, Colorado and Utah tend to be dominated by their major cities, as that is where the lion's share of the population of those states live. Idaho, Wyoming and Montana are not quite so dominated by one or two cities (though Wyoming, with Casper and Cheyenne, tends to be, but they are pretty small cities). This influences the politics of the states, how their agencies are organized and managed, as well as where the state jobs are and who gets them.

In any of the states, there can be an unspoken bias toward hiring native-born or long-time residents--probably less so in Colorado, but the "good ol' boy" system is still alive and well in a lot of Rocky Mountain West state government. Oftentimes, the culture of the state influences how that plays out.

Wyoming and Montana tend to be overwhelmingly Anglo, with a lot of multi-generational residents. They tend "to look after their own."

Utah is strongly Mormon, and it can sometimes be hard for a "gentile" to get hired. (This is not meant as any "cut" against LDS folks--in fact, some of my LDS friends are the people who will tell you this most emphatically.) On the plus side, Utah gets great marks for the efficiency and management of state government.

New Mexico has a very high percentage of native-born Hispanic residents, who often have a leg up in getting hired. New Mexico has still not moved totally away from the "patron" political boss system in government, either.

Colorado has probably the least of all those influences, but it also has constitutionally mandated spending and budgetary limitations that make it very hard for agencies to do long-term planning. A good example: The husband of a friend of mine worked for State Parks (a long-time employee). A few years ago, budget problems during one year caused the department to mandate that employees take a several-week unpaid vacation (!). This fellow asked his supervisor who would keep up with all of the work and deadlines during his "vacation." The answer was cryptic: "Don't worry, it will all be waiting for you to do when you get back . . ."

Idaho is an interesting state, but has some significant political divisiveness (as well as geographical) between the northern and southern parts of the state.

You can read a good report on state government here: Governing: Grading the States 2008/Introduction

I have some personal experience with this--I spent time in state government and regularly worked with people from state agencies in several Rocky Mountain states.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:52 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,465,599 times
jmmcnally, I think you are really lucky to be getting such high-quality advice from Mister Jazzy. I have lived in the NE and the West and can't argue with his cogent writing here.

My high school sweetheart rec'd a wildlife resources degree from CSU in Fort Collins, CO. She did not end up with an official gov't job in this field nor in a closely-related field.

I think if you really want such a career, you will have to pursue it with extreme persistence and dedication. Find out what the steps are to break into the profession. Make the steps and don't give up, it won't be a "cake walk in the (Rocky Mountain National) Park!"

Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 PM

I am trying my hardest to get this degree with success. I think the department head hates me and tries to hide when he hears/sees me coming. lol. I try my best to get all the info I can get. I like to be well prepared and have lots to work for and someone I need to get the world for. I am ready for this .

Thanks for the info on the states. I have narrowed it down to South Dakota, Northern New Mexico, and possibly North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. But I am waiting to see where I get a job offer from first.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,465,599 times
Jm, "someone I need to get the world for" ?? Huh?! What did you mean by that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado