U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times

Advertisements

treedonkey wrote:
Watching a plane land at the Meeker airport.

Watching Airplanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,128,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
"Watching Airplanes"
Hey, he took my idea! That's pretty much what I was thinking, only I have a feeling that in Meeker it will just be AN airplane you'll be watching unless you can hang out there for several days.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM

6,195 posts, read 9,526,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvan View Post
I understand what I might get myself into, I am curious though, what it would cost me to rent a place until I decide to buy. The cost of living is curious to me, what does the average 3 to 4 bedroom home sell and rent for?
Take a look at the average home price statistics for Meeker. City-Data has decent property stats. Granted the standard deviation for a town as small as Meeker could be relatively large.

The median home price is $161,835.

Let's assume you choose to rent. For the sake of argument let's say that the landlord has a loan with a 7% interest rate and he/she put 20% down. Their monthly payment is $865 for principal and interest. For you that would probably be around $975-$1000/month minimum because of their property taxes, dwelling insurance, potential property management fees, and of course profit.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM

16,215 posts, read 20,257,944 times
Jamvan! Just got off the phone with the Meeker, Colorado Chamber of Commerce. They don't have any rental agencies in Meeker but she did give me a reference for you. One of the notable real estate companies in Meeker is Brooks Real Estate Co., their phone number is 970-878-5858. They do get involved in rentals on a small scale. She confirmed my original thoughts on the town paper; you need to subscribe online to get it. The C of C's phone number there is 970-878-5510. The gal I talked to was real friendly and said she would like to help with any other questions you might have.

Another way to gauge this; go to realtor.com on the net after the site is pulled up. Then type in Meeker, Colorado on the search feature.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-17-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 PM

9 posts, read 25,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've never spent a lot of time in Meeker, though have been through there lots of times.

It's forty miles north of Rifle off state 13. Population is small, a bit over 2500 I believe. Shopping is kinda sparse, wasn't that way until Walmart put in one of their super centers in Rifle a few years ago which DID affect local businesses.

It is not surrounded by 14,000 ft. mountains like Ridgway, Telluride, and those towns. But it's OK in its own way. The Flat Tops are east of there, good fishing with Avery and Trappers Lake east of there though it's an hours drive to Trappers. Rio Blanco reservoir is closer, maybe ten miles west. North of town is pretty hilly and barren known as the Danforth Hills.

Winters are rougher than you'll find in other western slope towns, an example would be last night's temperature there in Meeker was zero. The other towns on 1-70 to the south are in the teens, maybe low twenties. But summers are very pleasant, highs rarely over ninety, lows in the mid fifties. IMO perfect summer temps!

I think city tax is around 7.5%, not sure on rentals but I'm thinking you're better off looking for them now than a year ago at this time. Some of the energy companies such as Halliburton and Weatherford had work there but there has been huge cutbacks in that area. The town paper is the Rio Blanco times. Like most small town papers, you'll have to subscribe for their on line edition. The Chamber of commerce might be able to steer you in the right direction regarding rental housing. Medical services are pretty limited as you would expect for a town this size.

Thankfully you don't have a lot of greedmonger developers slapping up rows of houses there, and Meeker isn't for everybody. It's always been known as a ranching community. In the mid-70's I worked for Stearns Rogers on the first power plant near Craig, got to know several laborers who commuted from Meeker. I personally like the area myself.

Wish I could help you a bit more, we don't have a lot of people who post on the board from the Meeker-Craig area.
I live in Meeker and this is a pretty fair report....except there is no city tax. County and State tax equal 6.5%. Definitely call the Chamber of Commerce 970-878-5510 and they will be happy to send you a relocation packet. It's a wonderful place to live...if you are not in love with the city life.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You should know what you're getting into. Are you familiar with Meeker? Have you ever lived in a tiny, dusty, western town in the middle of nowhere?
Tiny, yes. Dusty, no. Absolutely beautiful town nestled in the White River Valley. Closest Wal-Mart 40 miles south.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvan View Post
I understand what I might get myself into, I am curious though, what it would cost me to rent a place until I decide to buy. The cost of living is curious to me, what does the average 3 to 4 bedroom home sell and rent for?
I live in Meeker and I love it. We moved here six years ago from Denver and it couldn't be a more friendly town in a beautiful setting.

I'm not sure what the cost is per sq foot right now but here's a few I'll send your way out of the newspaper this week.

Newer apartments out by the Recreation Center (which is a great place!) that rent for $950, fully furnished, utilities paid, 2 bedroom, 2 bath. (970-878-8818)

Playa Del Rio Apartments are 2 bedroom, 1 bath for $650-850 a month. (970-878-5187)

House for sale or rent - 3 bedroom, 2 bath, w/d, fireplace $1100/month plus gas and electric. (970-878-3162)

Or call the Chamber of Commerce (970-878-5510) and they can mail you a relocation packet and the newspaper with all these ads and more.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM

4,925 posts, read 8,949,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellene View Post
Tiny, yes. Dusty, no. Absolutely beautiful town nestled in the White River Valley. Closest Wal-Mart 40 miles south.
You've been living in the desert too long if you think Meeker isn't dusty

OP: what ended up happening? Did you move to Meeker?

Old 05-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Meeker from one who knows...

We moved to Meeker from Denver six years ago and we love it!

It is a charming little town nestled in the White River Valley with tons of recreational possibilities in the nearby White River National Forest. The people here are wonderful. In the summer we bring our chairs and gather on the Courthouse Lawn for free concerts, outdoor movie events and every Saturday is a great Farmers Market.

Our agricultural culture is alive and well with sheep drives down the middle of the highway! There are lots of cattle ranches too. On May 22nd, we will be having the After Birth Ball - a free celebration at the community center for EVERYONE after the birthing of all the baby lambs and calves. With a Cowboy Poets and a great band, it will be a night to come together and honor our farming and ranching community.

July 3-4, we have the Range Call Celebration. Since we have the oldest rodeo in Colorado, and this year will be 125 years, it will be a great event! Downtown Events will be arts and crafts, food vendors, big BBQ, watermelon contest, carnival, parade, street dance and live entertainment. A big concert with Neal McCoy will also accompany the rodeo at the fairgrounds.

In September, we host the Sheep Dog Classic and people come here from all over the world. It's one of the top three events in the nation in it's category.

We have a new recreation center and a new elementary school that is state of the art.

There's lots more but Meeker is BIG on small town amenities. Just don't come here looking for intense traffic and high crime rates...you'll be disappointed.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 18,950 times
These are really old posts so I don't know if anyone who posted will see mine... I lived in Meeker in 1992/1993 and rented a 3 bedroom (really old) house for $275 a month. Then I moved to a 2 bedroom apartment for $200 a month. I'm sure the prices have gone up considerably since then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado