U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,172,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennine611 View Post
These are really old posts so I don't know if anyone who posted will see mine... I lived in Meeker in 1992/1993 and rented a 3 bedroom (really old) house for $275 a month. Then I moved to a 2 bedroom apartment for $200 a month. I'm sure the prices have gone up considerably since then!
Um, me thinks you are correct! I like towns like Meeker, always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
Im also lookin for a place to live in meeker.. But need a place with some land ..for my 3 horses and dogs ,,,and oh yeah and my wife...hehe..wouldnt forget her she the love of my life.. If someone knows of a place or if the local paper has a web site ..give me a reply..thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM

2,767 posts, read 3,453,112 times
theheraldtimes.com covers the county including Meeker.

I think you have to get an online subscription now.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
Default Looking at Meeker... :)

I've been reading the Colorado forum for a couple of weeks now ("creeping" my kids would say!) and now, it's time to post. DH is looking at a job opportunity in Meeker. He's past the initial interview, and will be visiting in the next couple of weeks. We're hopeful I'm going to be able to visit with him, but it depends on the timing. I've read everything I could find on Meeker using the forum search, and I've read a lot of posts relating to moving to rural Colorado and Colorado in general~ including the weather, the altitude adjustments, snakes, spiders, dust, water... well, you get the idea. I've also been reading various internet sites. I'm trying to do my homework! But, I still have some questions:

Do any of you have an idea of what rent amounts would be in that area for a 3-4 bedroom house? Our house here would be on the market, and we wouldn't be in a position to buy until this sold. Heating systems: our house here is oil-fired HWBB, and we have a wood fireplace, and also a propane fireplace. No, we don't have to use them all at the same time! It looks like homes there are primarily heated with natural gas. Is that usually HWBB as well, or what we call forced hot air? What are the typical costs for heating with natural gas on those systems? Also, how are water and sewer costs figured in? I'm trying to get some idea of household monthly costs, and while I know that they'll vary, I'm just looking for ballpark figures at this point. People say the cost of living in Maine is high, but honestly, when you've grown up here and lived here, it's not "high" or "low", it just "is". So, I can't even guess what it would be elsewhere. We also don't have natural gas where we live, so I have no experience with that, cost or otherwise. Another question: what do most people use for cell providers out there? We are in a tricky area of Maine~ in addition to being rural, and very hilly, we're on the coast, and the Canadian border. Cell service is non-existent in many places, and the international charges for bouncing off a Canadian tower are very high! Our provider is US Cellular, and according to their map, they don't service northwestern Colorado. Oh! one more thing (for now!): any idea about cancer care in Grand Junction? I saw online that there is a cancer center there, and I'm wondering if that is where I would travel for follow-up care. I'm *almost* (August) a two-year survivor, so I have to keep up with check-ups.

Any information, help, advice, jokes, questions... all would be appreciated! I know that many of you who are "regulars" on here aren't in Meeker, but if you've any idea of that area I'd be happy for your input.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,569,406 times
I'd make sure that is going to be a secure, long-term job before making a huge move from Maine. You'd be smart to come out here and spend a week (or more) checking out the area.

Web forums and pretty pictures can't compare to putting boots to the ground.

A few years ago I thought Maine would be an awesome place to live...but then after spending time there off and on for a couple years, decided that I would be smart to stay here.

You'll be pleased by how much less your heating costs will be compared to Maine....my wife was paying upwards of $400/month to keep her small rental house in Camden at 65 degrees with heating oil...

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
A couple of answers:

Cell service. The best overall carrier in most of rural Colorado is Verizon. They have the best coverage and fewest dead spots. Don't necessarily expect all the bells and whistles with any carrier in the rural parts of the state, though. This website ( Mountain Wireless-Colorado Cellular Reviews ) has very objective reviews of the various cell carriers.

Natural gas is the heating fuel of choice in western Colorado. It is reasonably priced here because the area produces a lot of natural gas, and lacks sufficient pipeline capacity to export all of it. However, many rural properties do not have access to natural gas distribution and have to use propane, which is quite expensive. As for heating, I prefer baseboard hot water, but most newer houses are built with forced air. With forced air, you just about have to have a humidifier in winter because of the already dry air--otherwise your indoor humidity can drop under 20%, which can cause a lot of people to have sinus issues. Also, 65-68 at 35%-40% relative humidity is pretty comfortable, but will seem cold at 20% relative humidity. There is no pat answer for heating costs--square footage and insulation (or lack thereof) drastically affect heating costs. Quite candidly, because of the boom-bust economy of western Colorado, there has been a lot of really shoddy building been done in many places in the last 30 years. Lax building codes and enforcement has aggravated the issue, as well. Lousy building quality--in the areas that count, such as insulation, etc.--is not limited to low-end properties, either. I've seen some "trophy houses" that looked great, but were built terribly.

Another thing most western Coloradans get to "enjoy" is fairly high gasoline and diesel fuel prices. The reason is that there is no longer any local refining done in western Colorado. All fuel used in the area has to be transported from Denver, Wyoming, Utah, or New Mexico. While Colorado as a whole is cheaper than many areas of the country for fuel prices, rural Colorado tends toward the high end of the cost scale for the state. Combine that with long driving distances for many things, and that cost becomes quite significant.

As for cancer or other medical care, Grand Junction is the medical center for western Colorado, with a lot of specialties represented. That said, complex or uncommon medical issues may force you to go to Denver or Salt Lake City for specialized treatment. Been there, done that--and most people in western Colorado will wind up having to at some point--just about guaranteed.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
Shuffler, I thought I recognized your name from the Maine forum! When we make the trip out we'll be staying for almost a week, so that will help I'm sure. I know it's not going to be as good as visiting there on and off, but in this particular instance it's not feasible to do that. I absolutely agree with you about boots on the ground~ it's certainly a necessity.

jazzlover, thank you for the information about the cell coverage. I'll definitely be using that link. I prefer HWBB to hot air as well. Hot air was quite popular here in Maine at one point, but people eventually figured out that as far as warm, consistent heat at consistent temps it's not a good choice. Combine that with the dryness and need for humidifier (even here), and new home construction in Maine has been done primarily with HW systems. As far as gasoline prices are concerned I'll check those too. It's high here because we're right on the border, and no matter how high our prices are, they aren't as high as New Brunswick's, so we typically have one of the highest prices in the state. I know there's an online source for pricing, and I'll take a look around. We don't have gas "guzzlers", but they aren't great on gas either. I really am trying to get an rough idea of monthly expenses, and that's important. Thank you for the information about the hospital in Grand Junction. I'll visit their website and take a look around. We travel 90 miles (one way) right now for my cancer doc. This winter we rescheduled four times due to blizzard conditions on our hilly, curving two lane road. From just the little bit I've read, our hospital in Bangor (the 90 mile away one) compares to the hospital in Grand Junction as far as what's offered. For more serious, specialized care, we'd travel to Boston from here. I'll definitely take a took at the hospitals. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Thank you both for your replies. I really hope I get a few others as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
Default Finally made the decision

Hello all, We finally made the decision to move to Colorado from California. We're looking at the North Western area (Meeker and surrounding area). We plan to be moving within the next 18 months and could use any advice, recommendations or suggestions. We are country folks and prefer the smaller communities. We will also be looking for a realtor in that area in about 6 months or so, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,158 times
I will be relocating to Meeker in December this year, from Denver. I need to find a place to rent. All the information on this forum is helpful. If all goes well, I will eventually want to buy.

Also, I am single and in my early 30s, and never married. I wonder what the prospects are for meeting women?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creidinger View Post
I will be relocating to Meeker in December this year, from Denver. I need to find a place to rent. All the information on this forum is helpful. If all goes well, I will eventually want to buy.

Also, I am single and in my early 30s, and never married. I wonder what the prospects are for meeting women?
In Meeker?? There's probably all of 50 single availabe women within 50 miles in any direction, so I suppose you could get lucky and hit it off with one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado