U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,713,116 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need everyones help here.....I pretty much need to decide between Idaho and Colorado for relocation. I visited Colorado last year, and although I loved the mtns, it was alot of desert. I am used to trees, water and greenery, but I found out that North of Denver it was more treed, and lovelier mainly in the Ft.Collins/Loveland area and I have recently found out how nice Idaho is. I drove thru the valley about 25 yrs ago, and can't really remember much about it. Besides it was very beautiful. I am living in NC and originally from WI, and wouldn't mind something inbetween the two weatherwise. But, as far as the water and the trees I think I may miss it......lol. I will be posting the same thing in the Idaho forum and lets see what happens.....Thanks, and I hope I get some input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 08:50 AM

119 posts, read 630,109 times
Default Hello Sillygal

I know what you mean about the trees and water and all that greenery. I currently live in CT and considering moving to Colorado Springs. While driving through on several visits, it was very dry and a lot of the grass is yellow, not green. But when we drove through southwestern Colorado Springs, it reminded me of home. The established neighborhoods, especially next to the mountains had a lot of trees and grass. I just think it's a matter of time before most of the other new neighborhoods start getting green. They just have to give the trees that people planted time to grow. I've never been to Idaho so I can't help you there. I will, however, miss the water. Does anyone from the coast feel land-locked in Colorado? And what's the main reason why there aren't too many pools in colorado other than the weather? Does evaporation have anything to do with it. I really want a pool when I move out there but if it's not practical then I suppose I'll live without one.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 19,734 times
i was just in eastern idaho and have lived in loveland colorado my whole life the idaho falls and pocatello area was horrible- dry and no mountains if you want any kind of trees here in colorado you have to go to the mountains anything east of I-25 is just grasslands

Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 PM

106 posts, read 521,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious in CT
I know what you mean about the trees and water and all that greenery. I currently live in CT and considering moving to Colorado Springs. While driving through on several visits, it was very dry and a lot of the grass is yellow, not green. But when we drove through southwestern Colorado Springs, it reminded me of home. The established neighborhoods, especially next to the mountains had a lot of trees and grass. I just think it's a matter of time before most of the other new neighborhoods start getting green. They just have to give the trees that people planted time to grow. I've never been to Idaho so I can't help you there. I will, however, miss the water. Does anyone from the coast feel land-locked in Colorado? And what's the main reason why there aren't too many pools in colorado other than the weather? Does evaporation have anything to do with it. I really want a pool when I move out there but if it's not practical then I suppose I'll live without one.
This is a very interesting thread. I grew up in Idaho, lived in Colorado for a time, and now I'm a Connecticut resident.

I'm really not sure why there are swimming pools here. Makes no sense to me. What for? They are a pain in the butt.

The lack of pools in the west may be due to the weather and because there's more environmentalism. Could be because they don't like all the chemicals...

What is the definition of "land-locked" besides the obvious? Does having an ocean make you feel any better? I mean, if you don't actually go out in the ocean, does it matter that there is one near you? Think about it this way, the ocean limits your travel. If you live on the Oregon coast, you can't drive west. Think about it that way.

Parts of Idaho are fairly green--especially north. I think Northern Idaho is not much different than CT because of the climate: cold and rainy in the winter. But the ecology is different since there's more evergreens in Idaho.

My question is: Why do so many people pick where they want to live based solely on what the area looks like? I suppose if you don't have many ambitions it makes sense, but isn't a good paying job a priority? The best paying jobs in Idaho would be in Boise. There are far more better paying jobs in Colorado and even Connecticut for that matter.

People also spend way too much time worrying about the cost of living rather than looking at the potential upside in income. Do you know why the cost of living is so high in some areas? Because people make a lot more money! Why not join the group? Of course the opposite is also true: Incomes are higher because of the cost of living. Anyway, things tend to equalize.

My suggestion is to always vacation in the area you thinking of living. No amount of posting here will give you any idea of what the area is like. And if you vacation, by all means do not spend all your time at Wonderworld or laying out on some beach. Do your homework and really see what it's like traveling the roads, go to the local library and learn about the community, and ask the locals what they think.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:40 PM

119 posts, read 630,109 times
proeye,

You've made some very good points. I guess people in Colorado can never know what land-locked really even means.....If you don't live near an ocean I guess you'd never miss it. And I guess that's what I meant by it. The obvious. I would miss going to the beach. It's not important to me to sail out into the sunset and get away from dry land or anything. I guess I've just taken for granted the fact that I can sit by the ocean (well, long island sound) anytime I feel like it. But it's certainly not going to hold me here. I've been to Colorado three times. My brother lives out there and he's always wanted me and my family to come join him cuz he just loves living out there. The good thing about the cost of living being less out there for us is that we could potentially be in the same income bracket we are in here and we would be in a better situation financially. I do love living in CT but I just love Colorado for everthing it has to offer including the obvious. Me and my husband are ready to try something new in our lives and moving out west will be a great adventure. Where do you live in CT now and where did you live while out in Colorado. Did you leave because of a career move or because you didn't like it out west? Are you from this neck of the woods?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 PM

17 posts, read 19,651 times
Move to Colorado. It's a better state. No reason, just is. Well, I could say it's because *I* am here, but people tell me it's too egotistical (even though it's the truth).

I've been to Idaho, and yeah it's pretty. I think that in either place if you want a clean way to live, you're making headway. Idaho is cleaner, but Colorado is classier.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,302,425 times
Default "...just grasslands"??!!

On behalf of The Grasslands & all who love them, I take offense to this comment! I have driven east from Colorado Springs & it is as beautiful as anything nature has graced us with! I have been reading many books on Prairies and like they say, it is a more subtle beauty. It takes more time to appreciate all it has to offer. But offer it does! Just had to share...

Old 07-28-2006, 11:36 PM

571 posts, read 2,251,304 times
I know what you mean about missing the water. I lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years and really liked it, but I very much missed all the lakes we have here in Minnesota. Very hard to find a place to go swimming or boating out there without 9 million other people...plus a lot of times you have to PAY just to have access to a lake! Totally unheard of here.

But if you're looking for something different and can learn to appreciate new kinds of beauty (including the grasslands...thanks elfyum for making a good point) I think you'll like it...at least for a while! I don't know how old/young you are, but you can always move if you're not happy. The economy is pretty good out there and you shouldn't have a problem selling your house if, in a few years, you decided it just wasn't for you.

The weather is probably just what you're looking for....much milder winters than Wisconsin but the summers aren't nearly as hot and muggy as NC.

BTW...to Curious in CT...the SW part of the springs IS very nice, but buying there comes with a hefty price tag!

Anyway, can't really help with Idaho (only been through a couple times) but good luck with your decision!

Old 07-30-2006, 06:07 PM

106 posts, read 521,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious in CT
proeye,

I do love living in CT but I just love Colorado for everthing it has to offer including the obvious. Me and my husband are ready to try something new in our lives and moving out west will be a great adventure. Where do you live in CT now and where did you live while out in Colorado. Did you leave because of a career move or because you didn't like it out west? Are you from this neck of the woods?
I'm an eye doctor and we bought a practice here in CT.

I didn't really like it in Colorado despite it being pretty. I grew up in Idaho as I said, so it's not like there was much difference there. We lived in Ridgway, Colorado at 8,000 feet on top of this mesa overlooking 14,000 ft. Mt. Sneffels. It was awesome to have it in our living room window every day. It was also awesome to have elk, deer, and even bobcats in our backyard. Apparently there was a mountain lion sighting down the street and I was concerned about our daughter who was 4 at the time. Didn't amount to much.

Colorado people outside of the major cities are very standoffish. They really don't want to know you since their immigrant families moved there a long time ago to get away from people. That's a reason to leave... Well, and it doesn't help that drugs seem to be a way of life in the mountains... Talk about Rocky Mountain High... I had people asking me right and left to get a prescription for medical marijuana. PLEASE! GIVE ME A BREAK! It was obvious that our neighbors were stoned half the time...

We never wanted to live in the cities so we put up with the isolation in W. Colorado. Too many dirt roads, too much mud, too much snow, too much isolation drove us away. Not to mention I wanted to buy a practice...

Anyway, several states later, we ended up here. I think we like it better here in CT because it's in the middle of everything. It is not so ridiculously dry like out West so my hair and nails are not brittle. I'm a man and normally we men don't worry about such things but I don't like split fingernails either. When it makes it down to the pink area, it hurts. Cry me a river huh?

CT is close to the ocean, New York, Boston, Vermont for skiing, upstate New York to camp out, Canada, etc. It's easy to get a good flight to anywhere here.

Besides, everyone has money here and the business is booming. Couldn't be happier. So we are not about to move any time soon... Besides, if we want to visit Colorado, it's only a plane trip away... No biggie...

Hey, people, it's not about finding a lower cost of living place!!!! You have it all wrong: It's about opportunity. Salaries normally exceed the cost of living so that should not be a consideration. Just try harder! We did!

We moved here with NOTHING except our brains. Yeah, that's right, we were probably poorer than 99% of Americans and if you consider how much debt I was in, our net worth was NEGATIVE. Don't think about where your next penny is going to come from, think about that $100 bill.

My office is in Vernon in case anyone needs an eye exam... Heh...

Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 AM

220 posts, read 701,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye
.......Hey, people, it's not about finding a lower cost of living place!!!! You have it all wrong: It's about opportunity. Salaries normally exceed the cost of living so that should not be a consideration. Just try harder! We did!

We moved here with NOTHING except our brains. Yeah, that's right, we were probably poorer than 99% of Americans and if you consider how much debt I was in, our net worth was NEGATIVE. Don't think about where your next penny is going to come from, think about that $100 bill.

My office is in Vernon in case anyone needs an eye exam... Heh...

Proeye, you've got it all wrong- far too much emphasis on cash. When you have cash, you realize that other things are far more important than the next C-Note. Everything is relative, but a lower cost-of-living combined with a healthier lifestyle equates to less stress even at a reduced income. This I know first-hand living on Long Island paying $500 electric bills monthly and $11Grand in taxes. There is definitely opportunity here, and just as they taught us in college- every opportunity has a cost. Here, its ridiculous population density and all that it brings. The wife and I are considering moving West to give our children something to strive for beyond a BMW and a huge house. Many have done the same before us and we will certainly be replaced by another whose pursuits are governed by the opportunity this population density can offer. I firmly believe that in your case, a practice in a less stressful environment where you create a practice based on the concept of caring, would have brought you far more fulfillment through grateful, satisfied clients than all the cash you can fit in your safe in CT.

For those who wish to give a new lifestyle a chance and you have the ability to maintain your income relative to the cost of housing, etc., what do you have to lose? Follow your dreams, not the money. The money will come when you are fulfilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or