U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Cin Cin started this thread

72 posts, read 274,229 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am renting in FC and searching for homes. I had targeted the general area I kinda want to be in and felt good about the school ratings etc. One house that I have a bit of interest in is linked to a school that is ranked high in FC...yet great schools.net has it ranked at a 6 out of 10...CO assessed test score being how the rating is assessed. The school my kids are at while renting is a 9. My realtor says she has never had anyone complain about this particular elementary and she used to( prob. 10 yrs ago )have friends that had kids in it and loved it. I feel troubled by this rating...I was looking at staying in one of 4 schools all rated 8 and up...just higher test scores. I know that is not everything though. I don't know how strict these statewide tests are and want peoples opinions if a school is barely in the "high" category..whereas others are definately in the high to excellent based on scores what does that really say here in FC? I am really confused. Wanting the best for my kids...Thanks, Cin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 09:29 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Chances are if you post the name of the school rating a score of 6 that someone here will have good info on it.

s/Mike

Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
Do the elementary schools feed into the same middle/high school?

If yes, how does their rating change?

Some schools teach so that kids can learn, esp. elem. school kidlettes, who are not so great at taking tests.

What about the high school drop out rate? and the continue to college rate? Those tell you if the kids have the skills they need, or give up.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:08 AM

Thanks to you both..I agree about the teaching to learn...not just to get the highest test scores. Especially since I never tested well myself! The elementary is in FC and it is Linton...so if anyone knows anything please let me know! Thanks. Cin

Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 AM

11 posts, read 40,017 times
Does anyone know anything about Pioneer School in Fort Collins or Webber JR or Rocky Mountain HS???

Thanks -

DE

Old 02-03-2007, 09:59 AM

CIN: I think you're on the right track... it's pretty basic... an 8 or a 9 rating beats a 6 anyday. Go with your gut instincts... mother knows best. Besides, in the next several months a ton of houses will appear on the market, it happens every spring... up pop tulips and crocuses... up pop the For Sale signs... all over the place... be patient... good opportunities will arise... keep posting your questions here... not sure its good to move a child during the middle of the school year... may be best to wait for late spring or summer to move again... then again... no shame at all to rent a home in a nice area... take this time to learn the region... maybe learn to ski... enjoy this great state and see some of it... nothing like it in the world....

s/mike

Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 PM

346 posts, read 1,417,536 times
Keep in mind that just because a school receives a rating of 6 doesn't mean the teachers are less hard-working or dedicated. The ratings are based on test-scores. . .period. If the area has a number of immigrants constantly coming in, that will adversely affect test scores. If parents are too busy to read and work with their children, that too will make a negative difference. Kids who cannot pay attention, have personal issues at home, etc. also do not test well. As a teacher, I first look for friendliness of office staff, whether or not the teachers and principal work well together, warm and nurturing environment, evidence of some creativity being fostered and of course, the curriculum.
It is a sad situation to realize that the main indicator of an "excellent" school is test scores. My own children attend a school that receives a "7". No complaints here. Not even sure I'd ever want them at a school that receives a "10" because all of the instruction would be test-driven. Go with what feels right to you, but just wanted to offer my thoughts.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks rebagirl...I know it is an overall balance and a 10 is a little intimidating actually! We came from an 8 in Mesa Az...but I believe they just got to an 8 from a 7 this past yr and I have always loved that school...and we did have illegals...somehow it was well run,friendly,established and I felt they had the best teachers and the teachers did not want to leave and that is how I rated it ...by that and how happy my kids were. Starting over is just scary after feeling so good about a school...now I remember why I was chicken to move! Cin

Old 02-03-2007, 03:06 PM

346 posts, read 1,417,536 times
I can completely relate!!! We are still stuck in southern California and hoping to move to Colorado as well. Scares the heck out of me in so many ways, but exciting at the same time. We will most likely end up down south, near Littleton, depending on jobs. We do have family there, which will make the transition a little less frightening. Anyway, good luck in your search. I've heard wonderful things about Fort Collins.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 AM

Default How not to pick a school, by Brigid Schulte

See her article in today's (04 Feb 2007) Washington Post....the link is:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020201468.html

Gist of the story is to not get wrapped around the axle on test scores....

Back to CIN's original question... Anyone Have Any Advice About LINTON ELEM SCHOOL in FORT COLLINS??

Thanks!

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or