Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 13,340 times

Advertisements

To anyone feeling helpful,

Me and my special lady are planning a road trip to Colorado for our honeymoon. We'll be spending a week traveling from Oct 26 - Nov. 1stish. Now I already have a few spots that we want to check out but i was hoping I could get some help filling in the blanks. We plan to hit Estes park and possibly Cripple Creek but I would also like to spend some time in either Denver or Colorado Springs, so my question here is...

Between Denver and Colorado Springs which would you say has a better hippie scene? We would definitely like to catch some music while we are out there but none of the more popular venues in Colorado have any bands we really want to check out that week. So what I'm looking for is a local jam band scene, or some place where I could catch a good Grateful Dead cover band or something of the sort. Jazz, Bluegrass maybe some Funk.

So yeah, if you know of a good laid back place to hang out and hear some music your input would be much appreciated.

Oh! Also, if you know of a better area with a way cooler hippie scene than that of Colorado Springs and Denver, let me know! As of right now we have nothing booked so our honeymoon is completely open, i'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Hippies = Boulder.

Most of the jazz clubs are in Denver. The best for "traditional" jazz, in my opinion, is El Chapultepec. The "Pec" is a long-time Denver institution, caddy-corner from Coors Field, which it predates by several decades. Denver has a pretty active jazz scene, and has had for many years.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM

Right on, I know we will be stopping in Denver for atleast a day or two so I will definitley look into El Chapultepec, I'll also look into Boulder. I've been trolling around a few other forums and it would appear that Telluride is a bit of a hot spot for the type of places I'm looking for.

Actually after looking at a map Boulder looks convienent as apposed to the 6 hour mountain drive from Denver to Telluride.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink On a different path

If in Colorado Springs, CO, drop in next door in Manitou Springs, CO. In fact, perhaps just stay in Manitou Springs and visit the other town.

Telluride, CO is a lovely place. A good solid drive from the Front Range, but in many respects worth it and an often beautiful drive. They have a mushroom festival there, not sure exactly when, but that might give you some idea what to expect.

Oh, and if around Boulder, CO you might visit Nederland, CO as well. Perhaps not the place for music, but certainly for hippies.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM

One other thing, your time frame is not an epecially pretty one in Colorado. Most of the leaves will already have dropped, but there will not likely be much snow anywhere. So, it will be brown. Hunting season will be in full swing in the mountains. The weather can be gorgeous or miserable--maybe both in the same day.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Steamboat Springs has a pretty good night life but being the off time of the year, it's hard to say which bands will be up there.

The drive up there is incredible and a lot shorter than from Denver to Telluride.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
I suggest going through Morrison (the Holiday Bar has a blues jam on mondays) then up the road to Evergreen (the Little Bear is a bar with bands of all kinds, NOT to be missed!!) You'll have a blast!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:42 PM

The Little Bear is definitely on my list of places to visit, I asked this same question on another forum and people say its great. Its looking like we will be in or around Denver for the majority of our trip as I'm hearing all kinds of cool places around there.

The Hot Springs in Ridgway sounds romantic as well.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhigh22 View Post
The Hot Springs in Ridgway sounds romantic as well.
Commonly referred to locally as the "Hippy Dip." Not especially romantic, in my book, especially when some of the patrons haven't bathed in a while.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
If youa re really wanting to go to the west side of the state, may I recommend: Ouray Colorado Spa, Hot Springs Lodging, Wiesbaden Hotsprings Hotel, Colorado bed and breakfast, Lodging, CO Way cool, not cheap but way cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado