U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 57,682 times

Advertisements

Is anyone out there a SPED teacher in Colorado? If not, do you know anyone who is and would be willing to answer some questions for me? I asked this about 6 months ago and didn't receive any replies. However, I am sending in job applications this weekend and I would love to chat with someone who is 'in the know' about a few different school districts. (I would prefer someone who knows a little about Poudre and Thompson but I also wouldn't mind talking to someone who teaches anywhere and can answer questions about Colorado SPED in general.) Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 08:27 PM

52 posts, read 359,593 times
I work with special education. I am a teacher assistant. I primarily work with children that have learning disabilities and behavior issues. What kind of information are you looking for?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 57,682 times
Default Questions about SPED

Okay, here goes. Any info you can tell me will be appreciated!! Hopefully these make sense!

1. From a teacher's perspective, how much of a priority is special education in the schools/districts? I work for a great district and, for the most part, I have the materials/books/supplies that I need. However, I know a neighboring district where the special ed. teachers have to fight just to get enough textbooks for the kids, much less supplies and materials. There is very little administrative support and SPED is kind of pushed into a dark corner.

2. Views on inclusion. Where is CO at in terms of inclusion/pull-out programs for students with mild to moderate disabilities? Does CO have 'interrelated' programs where there are a variety of disabilities in one room?

3. Standards and Assessments. I printed copies of the state reading and math standards and they seem very vague. Does CO provide information about what standards will be tested on state tests?

4. Reading Programs. Does your district have a mandated reading program that must be used or is there enough flexibility for me to incorporate my stuff into the reading curriculum? I don't want to be following a script.

5. IEP development. How does the IEP process work? In my current district I am responsible for creating the IEP from start to finish (in terms of the actual paperwork involved - not deciding on goals, etc...). My IEP's are legally correct and contain all information necessary. However, I get move-in IEP's all the time that are hard to read and are missing TONS of vital information. I know a district where the central office has a special department to do a majority of the IEP writing for the teachers. (Which I think is super wierd.) I know that this varies widely from district to district, but what about your district?

Anyway, I know that I am asking a lot. Like I said, any info you can give me will be helpful!! Thank you SO much!!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM

52 posts, read 359,593 times
I am sorry I haven't answered your questions sooner. The best bet to gather information on your questions would be to contact special services with one of the school districts. The elementary school that I work in has moderate needs children. There are several elementary schools in my district and I know of one that focuses on severe needs children.
It depends on the child's IEP goals whether there is pull out time or in class support.
The district I work for is Falcon 49. The website is www.d49.org. If you go under general info, click on curriculum, and then go under special services. There will be contact numbers for you. I hope this helps. Let me know.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,201,653 times
I am a sped educator in the Colorado Springs area. In our area, special education is an excellent thing! In fact, sped is highly regarded and makes you golden here in this area. I love sped!!!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,130 times
I work in SPED as a teacher's assistant here in Georgia. I'm moving back to Colorado Springs this summer. I'm looking for a TA position in SPED. This is my 3rd year in SPED and as a TA. I worked in Severe/Profound as a substitute. Anyone looking for a TA?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

624 posts, read 1,048,147 times
Special education is social work and placing kids who have been identified as academically, socially and/or have behavior problems . Flee from this field if you want to be a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or